Dundee United 23/24

Winning an away game where we had nothing to play for and the opposition did is something, I guess.  

It's not pleasing on the eye but signing journeymen might be the solution to get us up though. Also avoids that week or so of optimism with our left-field signings.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Immi Immi NISKANNEN 

I still expect him to leave, Goodwin stuff in the paper is definitely not true and he certainly doesn’t rate him. Heard maybe Exeter or Abroad but think we are looking for someone to buy him🤣 

Chalmers maybe next out the door…

Moult rested. 

Thought Docherty was excellent tonight. His best game so far. 

Also proves it's not a one or the other situation when it comes to Sibbald/Docherty - both can be played at the same time.

If Chalmers and Niskanen are to be moved on we'll definitely need another attacking option on board. Goodwin himself obviously has reservations about Moult's fitness 

I don’t want to say anything that might jeopardise his transfer, but has anyone mentioned Dec’s hairband?

Wish the big man all the best with United.  I was delighted when we signed him and he was great to watch when fit.  Unfortunately injuries have taken their toll and he wasn’t likely to feature too often for us this season.  

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Thought Docherty was excellent tonight. His best game so far. 

Also proves it's not a one or the other situation when it comes to Sibbald/Docherty - both can be played at the same time.

Just want to bookmark this. Hard disagree.

5 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Just want to bookmark this. Hard disagree.

Wouldn't go as far as saying he was excellent but he done alright.

The whole team done alright except Freeman, couple of wayward passes takes the shine off an acceptable performance from him.

No one really stood out for me apart from Kai tbh, Cudjoe improved on his previous showings tonight that's about it.

You can see where the team is going but there's still levels of standards to get to top performances.

8 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

The whole team done alright except Freeman, couple of wayward passes takes the shine off an acceptable performance from him.

No one really stood out for me apart from Kai tbh, Cudjoe improved on his previous showings tonight that's about it.

You can see where the team is going but there's still levels of standards to get to top performances.

I have to disagree, some good performances but Freeman, Cudjoe and Watt all substandard as was Middleton when he came on.  I also have the fear about Ross Graham.  The league campaign starts a week on Friday and we need to start on the front foot, which will require better team performances.

If we sign a new CH and play Grimshaw at RB then we are only a right sided attacking player from a decent starting XI with options on the bench. I’d drop Watt and have Fotheringham and A N Other playing either side of Moult.

49 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I have to disagree, some good performances but Freeman, Cudjoe and Watt all substandard as was Middleton when he came on.  I also have the fear about Ross Graham.  The league campaign starts a week on Friday and we need to start on the front foot, which will require better team performances.

If we sign a new CH and play Grimshaw at RB then we are only a right sided attacking player from a decent starting XI with options on the bench. I’d drop Watt and have Fotheringham and A N Other playing either side of Moult.

I think Ross has a mistake in him, as many young players do but I also think he's got massive massive potential.

Lot of United fans out there absolutely deluded about our position ATM, we're in the championship FFS and should be setting out standards accordingly.

It's absolutely fair to criticise the team when they are honking but I don't think we have been, I think once the team is properly settled and motoring there will be quite a few shut pusses in here.

See how they get on Saturday against Carlisle who will be a stiff test and then on to the league opener.

37 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I thought Watt did very well last night, linked play and pressed well worked hard and looked a class above. He missed a couple of good chances in saying that. Hes easy to knock and for good reason but he has to be in the side assuming he continues to work hard which should be the bare minimum.

Cudjoe did well as well I thought but is a worry if starting regularly. Right of the three is a concern as I agree on Middleton. Possibly Niskanen there? Hoped Chalmers would be involved but looks like hes gonna be away.

Grimshaw looked poor but its early days. 

Opinions eh

My main concern and its a big one is where the goals are going to come from. Moult if he stays fit should obviously contribute and Id expect Watt to chip in for sure but theres not a lot of goals in the rest of team. A lot of nice young players but I cant see them getting many. 

4 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I think Ross has a mistake in him, as many young players do but I also think he's got massive massive potential.

Lot of United fans out there absolutely deluded about our position ATM, we're in the championship FFS and should be setting out standards accordingly.

It's absolutely fair to criticise the team when they are honking but I don't think we have been, I think once the team is properly settled and motoring there will be quite a few shut pusses in here.

See how they get on Saturday against Carlisle who will be a stiff test and then on to the league opener.

Ross might have massive potential but I don’t think he should be starting week in week out even at this level, for one thing he is too ready to manhandle players and unlike some other, more seasoned, CHs we have had he is not subtle about it.

As for setting standards, getting beaten by Spartans then, at home, by a Championship contender who lost half their squad is not great.

I can see a lot of potential in the team but if we want straight back up that potential will need to be realised very quickly.

1 minute ago, low-life said:

I thought Watt did very well last night, linked play and pressed well worked hard and looked a class above. He missed a couple of good chances in saying that. Hes easy to knock and for good reason but he has to be in the side assuming he continues to work hard which should be the bare minimum.

Cudjoe did well as well I thought but is a worry if starting regularly. Right of the three is a concern as I agree on Middleton. Possibly Niskanen there? Hoped Chalmers would be involved but looks like hes gonna be away.

Grimshaw looked poor but its early days. 

Opinions eh

My main concern and its a big one is where the goals are going to come from. Moult if he stays fit should obviously contribute and Id expect Watt to chip in for sure but theres not a lot of goals in the rest of team. A lot of nice young players but I cant see them getting many. 

We will have to agree to disagree about Watt and Cudjoe.

10 hours ago, Fife Arab said:

I still expect him to leave, Goodwin stuff in the paper is definitely not true and he certainly doesn’t rate him. Heard maybe Exeter or Abroad but think we are looking for someone to buy him🤣 

Chalmers maybe next out the door…

Moult rested. 

Hard to see where he goes.  Loan would be pointless, is he out of contract next year?  Think DU would be unwilling to sell to a championship club and won't be going to the Premiership so maybe some dunce English side coming in for him?

9 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

In his fourth game - his best game thus far - our new captain “done alright”.

I’ll accept that, but the fact remains that Sibbald is the better player and imho a defensive double pivot when playing in the Championship will be ineffective.

I cannot understand why Logan Chalmers has been frozen out by Goodwin, can any United fans explain? He was excellent for Ayr and ICT and knows the division, seems he would be perfect for United this season. 

As for Ross Docherty, he won't do anything spectacular but he will keep the midfield ticking over and you'll miss him if he's not playing. 

11 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

United top of the group now. Just need both Spartans and Peterhead to win on Saturday and we're through(just by one-nil for Spartans though thank you very much). On you go lads.

In that scenario, either Spartans or Peterhead would be guaranteed to finish above you. You specifically need Peterhead to win on penalties against Falkirk, and also to beat Spartans tonight.