Dundee United 23/24

13 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Na bud we’re just riding the wave right now, don’t think any of our fans seriously believe we can challenge Dundee Utd for the league but we’re enjoying the ride so far this season. Ultimately your strength in depth should be too much for the other 9 teams in this division and I’m sure you’ve got the resources to bring in a player or two come January if you’re not clear of us.  Looking forward to our away day to Tannadice not been before and hopefully we’ll bring a good support up. 

On current form Raith fans absolutely should be believing that they can challenge for the league, as we approach Xmas you have only lost once and sit 1 point off the top. 
Our squad depth is nowhere near as good as some opposing fans think, last week with Watt missing and Moult having a stinker our only option on the bench was a 16 year old academy prospect, our starting 11 is strong for this league but we are only a couple of injuries away from being in big trouble and we really need to strengthen during the transfer window. 

17 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

... and just when you thought last week's cup debacle wasn't that bad.  Have you noticed Queens epic at Hamilton today ...?  Dearie me ...

It’s amazing the amount of teams that up their game when playing us. It’s the price you pay with a big target on your back.

14 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Na bud we’re just riding the wave right now, don’t think any of our fans seriously believe we can challenge Dundee Utd for the league but we’re enjoying the ride so far this season. Ultimately your strength in depth should be too much for the other 9 teams in this division and I’m sure you’ve got the resources to bring in a player or two come January if you’re not clear of us.  Looking forward to our away day to Tannadice not been before and hopefully we’ll bring a good support up. 

Christ on a bike, our strength in depth. Have you seen our bench most weeks.

17 hours ago, TxRover said:

Still feeling OK about the League? A dip in form would be welcome...of course, sooner or later it'll hit us too, but it's got the makings of a fun season long struggle.

Until we're fifteen points clear then I'll never be confident about anything! We should have enough to win the league by a substantial margin but that's not a Dundee United thing. 

15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

f**k me, they're taunting us now!

I'm thinking (hoping?) the players need a focus to bring them back to form, perhaps the contiguity of Raith Rovers is just that.

I'm also hoping (as it's nearing transfer window season) the tightness at the top between us and Raith forces the purse strings to open up and get a couple recruitments in. If we could somehow punt Birighitti, send home the defender on loan who's name I can't remember now, get a few backup options in then I'd be a little less concerned. 

1 hour ago, kdyteejay said:

It’s amazing the amount of teams that up their game when playing us. It’s the price you pay with a big target on your back.

Or teams that react to their manager's video gaming rant on YouTube ... 🤣

Raith Rovers are absolutely challengers. I get why they are trying to play it down, but the belief that squad must have is off the scale. We're having to win every week to stay ahead, which creates a huge amount of pressure (although you could look at it the other way, they are having to win every week to keep pace). We definitely do not have more squad depth than Rovers, a cursory look at the paucity of the options on our bench every week will tell you that.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see any signings in January. We're skint.

8 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

United will continue to say we are in a position to do something if the right player is available and then do nothing other than recall Miller Thomson from his loan (see last January and Kai Fotheringham).

If there's no money there's no money, and that cannot be helped. If that's the case, it would be nice if the club said as much. I think it's unlikely anyone will leave, so as I said I can't see anyone coming in.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Raith Rovers are absolutely challengers. I get why they are trying to play it down, but the belief that squad must have is off the scale. We're having to win every week to stay ahead, which creates a huge amount of pressure (although you could look at it the other way, they are having to win every week to keep pace). We definitely do not have more squad depth than Rovers, a cursory look at the paucity of the options on our bench every week will tell you that.

United haven't even done anything wrong as such, we just seem to have an absolutely incredible ability to end up still in the mix. If push comes to shove, you can be certain that United will find the funds in January to give an out of sorts top flight player a six month deal to get them over the line while we'll be stuck with what we've got. The same happened when Killie came down and brought in Lafferty after toiling up to Christmas.

The next three games for us look like they might have a huge bearing on how things go. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

United haven't even done anything wrong as such, we just seem to have an absolutely incredible ability to end up still in the mix. If push comes to shove, you can be certain that United will find the funds in January to give an out of sorts top flight player a six month deal to get them over the line while we'll be stuck with what we've got. The same happened when Killie came down and brought in Lafferty after toiling up to Christmas.

The next three games for us look like they might have a huge bearing on how things go. 

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

The proof will likely be seen soon enough. If we can wend through Partick, Arbroath, DU, Ayr and Arbroath to end December within 3 points of DU, and as long was we get at least 1 point at Tannadice, I suspect there will be a decision at the top for DU to find some money somewhere. The financial penalty from being outwith the top level is, huge…and they certainly seem to have rolled into this season planning to bounce right back up. While the large crowds and high prices give DU decent income, I can’t see the upkeep of facilities and such being any cheaper for being down a League and it becomes a matter of spend or potentially be facing a playoff that could push them to the edge of a financial cliff.

If, come the January window, there’s no movement at Tannadice, unless Partick and Raith have both fallen back, then your financials are likely much worse than they’ve let on…or management are complete fools. You’ll know best which is the case.

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

I suspect there will be a decision at the top for DU to find some money somewhere. The financial penalty from being outwith the top level is, huge…

I thought exactly the same thing last January - if we had gone out and spent a £250k transfer fee on a competent goalkeeper or taken one on loan even on £10k a week we’d probably have stayed up and saved the club a fortune in the long run. We did nothing then and saving money turned out to be the expensive option. Will be interesting to see if we’ve learned our lesson this time. I’m not holding my breath. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

9 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

I thought exactly the same thing last January - if we had gone out and spent a £250k transfer fee on a competent goalkeeper or taken one on loan even on £10k a week we’d probably have stayed up and saved the club a fortune in the long run. We did nothing then and saving money turned out to be the expensive option. Will be interesting to see if we’ve learned our lesson this time. I’m not holding my breath. 

That would work wonders for the squad spirit given it would likely have already been at a low ebb. 

14 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

So where’s the hole in the boat? I mean you lot are drawing around 2,200 more per games than the Pars, over 3,350 more than Raith, and after that it’s double to triple plus everyone else. That’s got to be worth a good £40,000+ per match over the nearest competitor…and probably £100,000+ over most of the league. I understand the team infrastructure is built around Premiership expectations, but surely some economies have been made, and squad expenses are down from what you say.

Is there just a failure of management to budget properly, or is something else behind the team being tighter than a bulls arse at fly time? Are they panicked and trying to adjust spending down just in case they don’t get promoted?

On 04/12/2023 at 14:07, TxRover said:

So where’s the hole in the boat? I mean you lot are drawing around 2,200 more per games than the Pars, over 3,350 more than Raith, and after that it’s double to triple plus everyone else. That’s got to be worth a good £40,000+ per match over the nearest competitor…and probably £100,000+ over most of the league. I understand the team infrastructure is built around Premiership expectations, but surely some economies have been made, and squad expenses are down from what you say.

Is there just a failure of management to budget properly, or is something else behind the team being tighter than a bulls arse at fly time? Are they panicked and trying to adjust spending down just in case they don’t get promoted?

The hole’s been there since the blueprint stage sadly. Our American owners were sold a pup by Tony Asghar who promised them that with the right investment there would soon be a conveyer belt of top level youth talent breaking into the first team before being sold on for big bucks. As we all know, it’s not that easy and it hasn’t happened. Ogren seems to have worked this out and turned off the taps accordingly. 

10 hours ago, captainkev said:

As much as I'm really pleased for Kai and his current goalscoring form, I'm a little concerned about the fact that recently he seems to be increasingly becoming our main source of goals. Especially with Raith up next week.

Whilst I absolutely take your point I'm pleased to see someone scoring a decent amount of goals. I can't remember the last time we had a player that scored a rake of goals for us since John Daly.