Dundee United 23/24

13 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

Applied for the position before and never got an interview

Half wrong, half right.

If my fading memory isnt failing me as im about to hit 40, Del boy applied and after the interview Tamsin chose McNafortune and not McInnes and the rest is...well...a train wreck that's still a smouldering mess on the line.

The story I heard was McInnes swore too much in the interview. In hindsight I hope he called Thompson a baldy p***k.

13 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Half wrong, half right.

If my fading memory isnt failing me as im about to hit 40, Del boy applied and after the interview Tamsin chose McNafortune and not McInnes and the rest is...well...a train wreck that's still a smouldering mess on the line.

The story I heard was McInnes swore too much in the interview. In hindsight I hope he called Thompson a baldy p***k.

He applied for it whilst Ogren has been here. It was either when Courts or Fox got the job 

11 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

He applied for it whilst Ogren has been here. It was either when Courts or Fox got the job 

Fuck, I'd forgotten all about Fox. *shudder*.

Those calling for Goodwin's head would do well to remember Liam Fox (and McKinnon, Laszlo, Mellon, Courts and Ross; Neilson wasn't much cop either).

9 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Those calling for Goodwin's head would do well to remember Liam Fox (and McKinnon, Laszlo, Mellon, Courts and Ross; Neilson wasn't much cop either).

And Paatelainen, Brewster, Hegarty, McCall and, to be honest, Golac.  

I'm only calling for a change if we can replace him with someone with a proven track record and credibility. McInness may not be realistic in our current situation but he's a safe pair of hands and he might be tempted IF we get promoted.

Tin hat on but Neil Lennon would be my other option.

6 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Personally I'm neither calling for his head or happy we have him.

Anyone who has lost cup games to Darvel and Spartans whilst In charge of Aberdeen and Dundee United have things to prove. His record after the split when we got relegated was abysmal and these were must win games as was the Darvel game when at Aberdeen. He is now showing that his team can't beat Raith Rovers over 3 games. Not must win games, however, they are important. 

He does have us top of the league (which is minimal requirement this season) so I guess he is hanging on with his fingertips 

Neilson is an odious c**t but he's clearly lightyears ahead of Goodwin in terms of being a manager. No contest.

United really shouldn't be basing keeping a bit of a dud of a manager because you've previously appointed much bigger duds tbh.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

United really shouldn't be basing keeping a bit of a dud of a manager because you've previously appointed much bigger duds tbh.

I agree, though the fear is who they (Ogren? Capuano? Joe fucking Rice?) would replace him with. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Neilson is an odious c**t but he's clearly lightyears ahead of Goodwin in terms of being a manager. No contest.

Nah, not for me. Results under Neilson, when we won the division aren't much different than we've had this season under Goodwin. Neilson also had the benefit of Shankland scoring a million goals and the football was incredibly boring. We walked the division that season because everyone else was rancid.

As things stand, United have had three managers in my lifetime who could be considered unqualified/ virtually unqualified successes: McLean, Levein and Houston. The rest have ranged from dreadful to merely disappointing.  The point isn't that you might end up with a dud but rather that almost every appointment will be considered a dud eventually.  There's no rush. This dud has us top of the league which places him alongside Neilson and ahead of every other manager we've had in this division. 

Not convinced Neilson was an odious c**t either. He was a bit of a personality vacuum and a bit of a snake but he's mostly inoffensive, imo. If you start with "odious c**t" for someone like Neilson, where do you go from there?

On 19/02/2024 at 10:56, Sarto Mutiny said:

I think that's fair. If he gets us up, and I think he still will, then it's mission accomplished. Obviously, he'll be punted if we don't go up. 

I'm not a huge fan, I must say. I know not everyone agrees and thats fine, but I feel that we are where we are despite him, not because of him. It's maybe unfair, but if he does take us up, I think he'll be gone by October anyway.

There is some similarities between Goodwins United and Bowyers Dundee from last season to be honest. 

I think, even if Goodwin was to get you up, there is merit in saying 'Thanks for getting us to this point, but lets part ways'.

33 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Freeman has joined St Patrick’s in Ireland on a permanent deal.

I know Grimshaw had been playing (badly) at RB but he's considered primarily a midfield I believe. Doesn't this leave us without a right back in the first team squad?

Wish Freeman well - a move will probably do him good. Personally I think there's little to pick between him and Grimshaw 

11 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I know Grimshaw had been playing (badly) at RB but he's considered primarily a midfield I believe. Doesn't this leave us without a right back in the first team squad?

Wish Freeman well - a move will probably do him good. Personally I think there's little to pick between him and Grimshaw 

To me, Grimshaw's a decent/good Championship level full back with delusions of being a midfielder. If he's a midfielder then he's sub-Tillson level.  Freeman on form is probably as good as Grimshaw, or better, but it's been years since Freeman's been on form. A move will hopefully help him get over the PTSD. 

50 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Maybe we’re going to a back three now Gallagher and McClelland are available? 

56 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Grimshaw will continue to be first choice with Thomson and McClelland as emergency options I would guess 

19 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Sad to see Freeman go, confidence shattered by Goodwin especially, but his displays affected by playing alongside some of the laziest, overrated senior colleagues I've seen playing for United last season.

I feel the same. He was very good during the Tam Courts season, but his confidence is absolutely shot now. A move is the best option for him. I hope he makes a go of it.