Dundee United 23/24

Yeah, I think history has been unkind to Jackie McNamara. It all ended badly for him and he subsequently had a horrible time of it at York but he deserves credit for a number of things, including having the balls to play guys like Gauld, Souttar and Robertson at such a young age/level of experience, for clearly being the man who got the most out of Nadir Ciftci when he's never come anywhere close reaching those heights ever again, and for the great football we played under him at times.

Absolutely, player sales and recruitment in the latter part of his time with us was poor (the recruitment in the season we were relegated was simply unbelievable) but you can't only look at the negatives.

16 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Yeah, I think history has been unkind to Jackie McNamara. It all ended badly for him and he subsequently had a horrible time of it at York but he deserves credit for a number of things, including having the balls to play guys like Gauld, Souttar and Robertson at such a young age/level of experience, for clearly being the man who got the most out of Nadir Ciftci when he's never come anywhere close reaching those heights ever again, and for the great football we played under him at times.

Absolutely, player sales and recruitment in the latter part of his time with us was poor (the recruitment in the season we were relegated was simply unbelievable) but you can't only look at the negatives.

Or you could argue that team underperformed.

51 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

having the balls to play guys like Gauld, Souttar and Robertson at such a young age/level of experience,

Was that not because he was going to cream off a chunk of their transfer fees when they left?

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't like to miss a chance to have a go at Goodwin but not sure that's fair. His confidence was gone well before Goodwin took over. He was ripped by senior pros last year. One of those senior pros still at the club was called out on it by new signings this year but the damage was already done.

That's similar to what I'm saying, surely? >  "his displays affected by playing alongside some of the laziest, overrated senior colleagues I've seen playing for United last season". Goodwin had him in and out the side, after taking over. I think he only played 4 full games under Goodwin, two of those United collected full points, another was a loss at Ibrox. 

46 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Yeah, I think history has been unkind to Jackie McNamara.

I usually agree with you, but not on this occasion. McNamara didn't appear to have a consistent eye for a player, inheriting most of his stars. Robertson and Aidan Connolly were signed at the same time, both as back up, and I doubt any United fan expected much from them initially. Nadir Çiftçi was a revelation, and I'd like to think it was an inspired decision from Jackie, but many of his other signings show that one up, perhaps as a bit of a fluke.

When GMS and Armstrong left for Celtic in Jan. 2015, McNamara put a club video out stating he had the players to cover their loss, Ryan Dow was the one named as the GMS replacement, Chris Erskine would be the direct successor for Armstrong. They scored the 3 goals in the next match at Stranraer, and everything would be fine. Jackie lost most of the next 7 matches, gaining only 1 points from 21. In amongst that were the 4 games against Celtic (3 cup fixtures), which probably drained the life out of the support, and must have left the few remaining McNamara fans questioning his abilities.

For me, McNamara's reputation deserves very little sympathy.

40 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Was that not because he was going to cream off a chunk of their transfer fees when they left?

A maximum of £100k per year he would get.  Gauld and Robertson went the same window, so even though bringing in £5-6m he only got £100k from it

27 minutes ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

A maximum of £100k per year he would get.  Gauld and Robertson went the same window, so even though bringing in £5-6m he only got £100k from it

“Only” £100k

3 hours ago, Fife Arab said:

Interesting team tomorrow 😳

Not leaking team as too many people will post it but let’s just say a few who haven’t been performing are dropped. 

Birghitti rewarded for his commitment in making that shite bus journey?

37 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Id start grieve and moult up top for what it’s worth. 

That’s exactly what we should be doing; they would complement each other.

Goodwin seems unwilling to commit to a conventional two up top which, given our lacklustre performances of late, seems bizarre.