Dundee United 23/24

I don't so much have a problem with Goodwin picking the wrong team as  much as I do with him sticking with the wrong team until halftime when he'll have seen from the 20 minute mark that it wasn't working, and then coming out after the game to state that the game was lost in the first 45 minutes. 

Ogren is facing a dilemma which is that he wants to sell, and the price he'll get for it will be based on the division we're playing football in next season. He has a manager who has delivered him 2nd place minimum at this point, but who has shown he can't field a winning team when it's a high stakes match.

So does he a) stick with it and hope Goodwin will somehow get us automatic promotion, knowing that if he doesn't, the high likelihood is we'll lose the playoff or b) make that change and hope a better motivator could at least get us over the line in the playoffs?

Was great to finally overcome you last night, always feels like years in between victories but when they come, they're delightful.

Serious question, how has Goodwin kept his job? That squad should be scooshing the league. 

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Was great to finally overcome you last night, always feels like years in between victories but when they come, they're delightful.

Serious question, how has Goodwin kept his job? That squad should be scooshing the league. 

The thing is, other than one team they still kinda are. Raith's results have been statistically incredible (if you're the sort of person who believes in the relevance of xG) and they've managed to hang with us all the way.

And now that things are getting that little bit more serious, it looks like while they are holding their nerve, United under Goodwin are beginning to bottle it.

And as I say, if we bottle the league championship, we're never, ever getting up via the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, par-adise said:

What if you're playing Aberdeen? 

Getting through the final might not be their biggest problem, it's keeping their bottle to get there in the first place that's looking questionable.

The person who should be sacked is the person who gave Goodwin proper contract after he took you guys down , and he did it was him who took you down , when he took over weren’t you 11th with a chance of staying up ? But no his record was pathetic after the split and should’ve been no where near Tannadice again after that , I’d have been raging if I was a United fan , but being a Dee I found it hilarious 

1 hour ago, SGMilne said:

I don't so much have a problem with Goodwin picking the wrong team as  much as I do with him sticking with the wrong team until halftime when he'll have seen from the 20 minute mark that it wasn't working, and then coming out after the game to state that the game was lost in the first 45 minutes. 

Ogren is facing a dilemma which is that he wants to sell, and the price he'll get for it will be based on the division we're playing football in next season. He has a manager who has delivered him 2nd place minimum at this point, but who has shown he can't field a winning team when it's a high stakes match.

So does he a) stick with it and hope Goodwin will somehow get us automatic promotion, knowing that if he doesn't, the high likelihood is we'll lose the playoff or b) make that change and hope a better motivator could at least get us over the line in the playoffs?

Seeing as there are so many ex Dundee players involved with Dunfermline I thought I’d come in here to enjoy their win.  Unfortunately I find myself agreeing with your very considered and sensible post!

I think you’re spot on about Goodwin being unable to field a winning side when the pressure is on.  His infamous cup exits to would certainly suggest that.  That does not bode well for a United as the pressure is only going to get greater as the season nears its end.

I also think a lot of United players have been greatly overrated by many United fans (when things were going well).  You have signed far too many players that are trading on past glory or never to be fulfilled potential (Middleton, Sibbald, Watt, Moult etc).  I think that shows in the utter lack of determination from just about every United player on the park.  Way too many players appear to be looking to do the minimum.

On a separate note has Ogren actually said he is actively looking to sell the club?  He is an incredibly rich man and has only spent a small amount (£13M) of his wealth on United.

Perhaps if United fans start singing  “USA, USA, USA…..” at their games again, like they did regularly when he first arrived) he may start investing in the club again……………..

8 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

The person who should be sacked is the person who gave Goodwin proper contract after he took you guys down

I keep emphasising, my belief is Goodwin was given a 27 month contract when he took the job in March 2023: and I also maintain he was given the job by Mark Ogren and Tony Asghar, who was still behind the scenes at Tannadice until May last season.

15 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

You have signed far too many players that are trading on past glory or never to be fulfilled potential (Middleton, Sibbald, Watt, Moult etc).

Middleton and Watt were signed on ridiculous contracts, which is weighing the club down in a similar manner to Birighitti's deal. Sibbald is OK at this level, and possibly in a bottom six side in the top league. Moult was always a risk, and is clearly limited following his injury earlier in the season: prior to that he was showing up well. He's on a one-year deal, and probably knows, like several others, that he won't be a Tannadice next season. That's a problem and one of the reasons, to my mind, that the players lack motivation when things don't go their way.

Back to Watt, who I've been critical of in the past. I don't think he was awful last night until he was booked, then he lost any enthusiasm, perhaps through fear of a red card, more likely because he can be sulky when he feels an injustice. 

Leaving that aside, Goodwin is clearly out of his depth, emphasised by his post game nonsense which contradicted his actions. But United are stuck with him, I'd imagine.

Never mind, Ogren never saw relegation as an issue, and claimed it's only be one season in the Championship.

"Go United".

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Middleton and Watt were signed on ridiculous contracts, which is weighing the club down in a similar manner to Birighitti's deal. Sibbald is OK at this level, and possibly in a bottom six side in the top league. Moult was always a risk, and is clearly limited following his injury earlier in the season: prior to that he was showing up well. He's on a one-year deal, and probably knows, like several others, that he won't be a Tannadice next season. That's a problem and one of the reasons, to my mind, that the players lack motivation when things don't go their way.

Back to Watt, who I've been critical of in the past. I don't think he was awful last night until he was booked, then he lost any enthusiasm, perhaps through fear of a red card, more likely because he can be sulky when he feels an injustice. 

Leaving that aside, Goodwin is clearly out of his depth, emphasised by his post game nonsense which contradicted his actions. But United are stuck with him, I'd imagine.

Never mind, Ogren never saw relegation as an issue, and claimed it's only be one season in the Championship.

"Go United".

That was an outrageous booking though.  Well done Colin Steven, in a season of ludicrous refereeing that’s a contender for the worst decision of the lot. 

satisfiedgif.gif.190fa290d2f84fc877f414d7cc8f7877.gif

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

I keep emphasising, my belief is Goodwin was given a 27 month contract when he took the job in March 2023: and I also maintain he was given the job by Mark Ogren and Tony Asghar, who was still behind the scenes at Tannadice until May last season.

He was made interim manager till the end of the season , then given a cracking contract for being a total disaster, when I spoke to united fans about it at the time , most said he deserves the chance as it was jack Ross team he was working with , but to me he’s made his team even worse than Jack Ross squad 

19 minutes ago, adamntg said:

That was an outrageous booking though.  Well done Colin Steven, in a season of ludicrous refereeing that’s a contender for the worst decision of the lot. 

Steven would have had to send Chris Hamilton off if he'd given the foul the other/correct way, as he'd already been booked. 

But that's no excuse for the collective performance of the team.

The whole Jack Ross saga is still fucking bizarre. Banter goalkeeper a side, his signings were very decent even looking back with hindsight:

Steven Fletcher, Craig Sibbald, Dylan Levitt, Jamie McGrath (Loan), Banter Keeper, Glenn Middleton.

That's still decent business for a top flight club. Sure it's lacking in a strong DM to replace Butcher and a competent keeper but not going from 4th to finishing rock bottom stuff.

Jack Ross gets a lot of the blame, but there's a poison at United and on the playing front, it seems that the main culprit is more secure than ever at the club with the vice captaincy. He has a lot to answer for. Still think Jack Ross could have been a success if people like Mulgrew wasn't gunning for his job from the moment he walked in the door.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

On the evidence of last night, it’s hard to see how that squad has won so many games this season. To me, it has never looked strong enough to scoosh the Championship. Goodwin seemed to be doing a decent enough job keeping them top of the league, but when Raith strengthened in January their squad looked as if it would be a match for United’s. Add in that Murray looks a better manager and Ogren’s promise of immediate promotion is looking a bit naive.