Dundee United 23/24

1 hour ago, SGMilne said:

His free kick aside, I thought Moult was once again pretty poor today, and in spite of being due credit for scoring the second, Tillson's passing is absolutely appalling for a professional footballer.

Like every game we play, we dominated without doing a huge amount. I don't think there were any really good performances, although Gallagher returning adds some stability. Miller Thomson's corners were better than the norm, but I'm not going to go overboard and say he was 'superb' (as I've seen some say on X) because he wasn't. He's not a right back, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with him playing right back long term.

The one player I'd single out for praise is Cudjoe, simply because in a squad of players who like to hold up play and play sideways or backwards passes, he is direct and he tries stuff, and it makes a difference.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say this, my range of passing is miles better than Tilson and I've never played anything other than welfare league.

He's got other good attributes but holy lord jebus of diabetus how do you become a professional at something and be so bad at an integral part of it.

On 16/02/2024 at 09:42, WhatDayIsIt said:

Tillson is great when we don't have the ball, his work rate and positioning are excellent.  Tillson with the ball though is probably the worst player in United's history and I don't even mean that as an exaggeration.  He knows this too as he tries his best to not be available to take a pass.

Can I get an apology from everyone who disagreed with this the other week?

16 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The big problem for me was that he never seemed to learn anything from defeats. As an obvious example, how many times in that period did we go up against Tommy Wright's St Johnstone, lose, and change absolutely nothing for the next time we played them? As others have said, it seemed the quality of the players masked a lack of any real tactical awareness, which seems to have been a recurring theme over the last decade, although with an ever decreasing quality of player.

There was a line that McNamara frequently used in interviews ahead of matches, particularly during the 2013/14 season, that has always stuck with me. He used to say words to the effect of: 'We don't worry about what the opposition are going to do; we're going to go out there and play our game.'

At the time you could write that off as a soundbite intended to demonstrate his confidence in the team, especially in the promising talent. However, in hindsight I heavily suspect that really was as complicated as McNamara's tactics or gameplan actually was. You never got the sense that we had done the homework on combatting opposition teams that the likes of Derek McInnes and, most obviously, Tommy Wright did to us. Whether to put it down more to hubris or laziness on his part is what I'm less sure on.

McNamara still deserves credit for recognising Robertson's potential, making the effort to convince him to sign for us and then trusting him with the left-back spot from the get-go. It's probably been forgettin by most, but we had Graham Carey on trial with us during the 2013/2014 pre-season with an eye on him playing left-back instead. McNamara saw enough in even a handful of friendlies to pass on the safer option in the experience Carey would have brought to stick with Robertson instead. Given the amazing success Robertson's had in his career since us that seems like an easy and obvious choice now. At the time though that was ballsy move by McNamara, one that I really doubt his predecessor would have made.

It’s maybe not that ridiculous.  He doesn’t look like featuring for Celtic again this season he’s so far down the pecking order.  He can’t join a premier league team as deadline has passed.  If he wants to play some games and Utd are happy to pay a bit of his wages then Celtic might be happy to let him go.

Still don’t see it happening though!

17 hours ago, captainkev said:

There was a line that McNamara frequently used in interviews ahead of matches, particularly during the 2013/14 season, that has always stuck with me. He used to say words to the effect of: 'We don't worry about what the opposition are going to do; we're going to go out there and play our game.'

At the time you could write that off as a soundbite intended to demonstrate his confidence in the team, especially in the promising talent. However, in hindsight I heavily suspect that really was as complicated as McNamara's tactics or gameplan actually was. You never got the sense that we had done the homework on combatting opposition teams that the likes of Derek McInnes and, most obviously, Tommy Wright did to us. Whether to put it down more to hubris or laziness on his part is what I'm less sure on.

McNamara still deserves credit for recognising Robertson's potential, making the effort to convince him to sign for us and then trusting him with the left-back spot from the get-go. It's probably been forgettin by most, but we had Graham Carey on trial with us during the 2013/2014 pre-season with an eye on him playing left-back instead. McNamara saw enough in even a handful of friendlies to pass on the safer option in the experience Carey would have brought to stick with Robertson instead. Given the amazing success Robertson's had in his career since us that seems like an easy and obvious choice now. At the time though that was ballsy move by McNamara, one that I really doubt his predecessor would have made.

What you say about trusting Robertson is true, but that ballsy attitude and willingness to go with youth (motivated in no small part by  his percentage of incoming transfer fees) left us going into a season with 2 (hopeless) rookie keepers in Zwick & Szromnik. A decision that was a major factor in getting us relegated. 

Still, at least we’d never make the same mistake again of going into a season with 2 unproven goalkeepers we were hoping to sell on for a profit and letting that decision relegate us…

Anyone know / care to guess if our match v Raith at Tannadice will be moved to the Friday night? I know there's limitations on how many matches the BBC can show and each team has to be shown at home a certain amount of times. Also Scotland are playing on the Friday night I believe.

But obviously it's an attractive fixture so you'd think there would be a fair chance of it getting moved.

(My Easter holiday plans hinge on when the game is, hence the query)

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Anyone know / care to guess if our match v Raith at Tannadice will be moved to the Friday night? I know there's limitations on how many matches the BBC can show and each team has to be shown at home a certain amount of times. Also Scotland are playing on the Friday night I believe.

But obviously it's an attractive fixture so you'd think there would be a fair chance of it getting moved.

Ayr v Airdrie is the TV pick that week. 

34 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

What you say about trusting Robertson is true, but that ballsy attitude and willingness to go with youth (motivated in no small part by  his percentage of incoming transfer fees) left us going into a season with 2 (hopeless) rookie keepers in Zwick & Szromnik. A decision that was a major factor in getting us relegated. 

Still, at least we’d never make the same mistake again of going into a season with 2 unproven goalkeepers we were hoping to sell on for a profit and letting that decision relegate us…

I'm fairly sure that McNamara didn't have the sell-on bonus at the point. That came with the contract extension he signed around March/April 2014 no?

Jackie McNafortune is a charlatan and a horrible wee dick.

Yes, made a great spot in Robbo and a couple others but Zwick and Szromnik, Kuhl and Taggart and not laying a glove on the Fermers in the cup final (or any other game that season practically) outweigh that imo.

Throw in the Celtic midnight transfer disaster along side getting two clubs relegated in one season then really he should be firmly in the"Fud" list along side Chisholm, Jobby McCall and Ray McKinnon please.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

It will be us vs Thistle on the final day that the BBC will show