The Hamilton Accies League 1 thread

9 hours ago, AGPar said:

None of us give a toss about Rankin, stay or go, it won't be impacting us in any way between now and May. None of our business. But you better believe we'll continue challenging this myth that a team who have still not lost a league game in mid-February, dropping 10 points from an available 66 in the process, have somehow been "handed the league" due to the perceived incompetence of the manager of another football club. We'll continue destroying that complete, total and utter garbage until you start facing up to reality.

You say you don't care about Rankin however I'm pretty sure you were one of the Falkirk fans who was saying it was absolutely mental that we wanted him gone. Falkirk fans keep missing the point Accies fans don't think Falkirk are a shite team and very few fans think we would have walked this league with a different manager our point is that it would have went right down to the wire with a decent manager and the league wouldn't have been over at the start of February. 

The new owners have done some great work in a lot of areas. The club was a shambles and the previous crook owner took us to the brink last season. There is still a lot of work to do and many misstakes have been made, but the new owners have some credit in the bank as they are working to address a lot of the issues that have resulted in our current standing in scottish football and a disconect with our fanbase (whats left of it).

There has been some criticism (warranted in my oppinion) of how they have acted in the transfer market, our car crash PR / marketing and the insistence that Rankin is performing well despite what those of us who follow the team every week can see. IMO it looks like Rankin seems to have been given an easy ride as the board have stated he worked under very challenging circumstances last season. This is admirable to a point BUT it is clear he has had ample opportunity to develop a squad and mount a strong title challenge, which has clearly not been achieved. Everyone can see that Falkirk are having an amazing season and rightly top the league. However, the gap that exists and the manor in how points have been dropped especially at home is not acceptable.

1 hour ago, Beckford said:

The new owners have done some great work in a lot of areas. The club was a shambles and the previous crook owner took us to the brink last season. There is still a lot of work to do and many misstakes have been made, but the new owners have some credit in the bank as they are working to address a lot of the issues that have resulted in our current standing in scottish football and a disconect with our fanbase (whats left of it).

There has been some criticism (warranted in my oppinion) of how they have acted in the transfer market, our car crash PR / marketing and the insistence that Rankin is performing well despite what those of us who follow the team every week can see. IMO it looks like Rankin seems to have been given an easy ride as the board have stated he worked under very challenging circumstances last season. This is admirable to a point BUT it is clear he has had ample opportunity to develop a squad and mount a strong title challenge, which has clearly not been achieved. Everyone can see that Falkirk are having an amazing season and rightly top the league. However, the gap that exists and the manor in how points have been dropped especially at home is not acceptable.

Not for me on what I have witnessed. I have seen Hamilton twice and they have created the square root of f**k all in two games. The squad has far too many players and outside your keeper, Scott Martin, Dylan Tait 😀 and the LB I wouldn’t take any of your players over ours. Rankin’s record in this league with a 61% win record would be more than enough to normally win this league. He is being judged against a Falkirk side that so far has produced a record unsurpassed in this division. That is unfair.  

25 minutes ago, BPM said:

Rankin’s record in this league with a 61% win record would be more than enough to normally win this league. He is being judged against a Falkirk side that so far has produced a record unsurpassed in this division. That is unfair.  

Will post this again this is the league league table since everyone played each other once (Since teams found out how to play against Rankin) an Alloa win against Edinburgh at home tomorrow would see them go above us. 

Screenshot_20240211_231419_Chrome~2.jpg

24 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Will post this again this is the league league table since everyone played each other once (Since teams found out how to play against Rankin) an Alloa win against Edinburgh at home tomorrow would see them go above us. 

Screenshot_20240211_231419_Chrome~2.jpg

Comparable with most teams that win this league. You have been unfortunate we are exceeding expectations and all records - SO FAR. 

1 hour ago, BPM said:

Not for me on what I have witnessed. I have seen Hamilton twice and they have created the square root of f**k all in two games. The squad has far too many players and outside your keeper, Scott Martin, Dylan Tait 😀 and the LB I wouldn’t take any of your players over ours. Rankin’s record in this league with a 61% win record would be more than enough to normally win this league. He is being judged against a Falkirk side that so far has produced a record unsurpassed in this division. That is unfair.  

Think you have missed a key element of my post tbh. The points Falkirk have gained is impressive and you are having an outstanding season. But if you account for this, and look at the rest of our performances, he has fell significantly short and that is why there is an appetite for change. We are miles behind not because of the way we played against Falkirk, we are miles behind due to the way we have played over a lot of this season. We have consistently been a weak team easily bullied, any manager should be able to address this at least.

Even when we win, a lot of the games have been by fine margins and the dropped points would not have happened if we had a manager capable of game management and getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal (to be clear, i am not one of the fans who think we have a great squad).

Most sensible Accies fans lost any faith of a league title win as a result of the way we collapsed during our game at home to Falkirk. It's the fact that there is little chance of promotion with Rankin as manager that raises concerns.

We should be doing all we can to really push for a play off win. This will require consistency of selection, having a squad of players clear on what their role is and what the game plan is and be working to build confidence and belief. We simply will not get this by continuing with the status quo. He us not being used as a scape goat or an excuse, this is just the reality of our situation. 

36 minutes ago, BPM said:

Comparable with most teams that win this league. You have been unfortunate we are exceeding expectations and all records - SO FAR. 

We haven't been unfortunate we were good at the start of the season but since then we've been poor most weeks apart from an excellent performance against QOTS where we won 5-0. Teams have caught on to us and Rankin has no clue on how to change it. His subs are abysmal and regularly cost us points we finished the game on Saturday with 2 defenders I said to people at the game if we were to get the game back to 2-2 we would just concede again with how open Rankin left us. the home game before that he went far too defensive when Montrose weren't really causing much trouble and again we ended up dropping more points. He has fallen out with about 8 different players most of them being players that he signed it's clear to see on the pitch that most players have stopped playing for him and he's lost the full fanbase now. I can honestly see this Saturday being a long embarrassing day for us where we completely collapse. The longer he stays the more emptier the stadium is going to get we need to get rid of him so we can build a bit of momentum for the playoffs if Rankin is still in charge we have no chance in the playoffs at least if we had a new manager in and ended up losing them it would let a new manager see what needs improved for next season keeping Rankin only benfits Falkirk and the teams who are in the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

We haven't been unfortunate we were good at the start of the season but since then we've been poor most weeks apart from an excellent performance against QOTS where we won 5-0. Teams have caught on to us and Rankin has no clue on how to change it. His subs are abysmal and regularly cost us points we finished the game on Saturday with 2 defenders I said to people at the game if we were to get the game back to 2-2 we would just concede again with how open Rankin left us. the home game before that he went far too defensive when Montrose weren't really causing much trouble and again we ended up dropping more points. He has fallen out with about 8 different players most of them being players that he signed it's clear to see on the pitch that most players have stopped playing for him and he's lost the full fanbase now. I can honestly see this Saturday being a long embarrassing day for us where we completely collapse. The longer he stays the more emptier the stadium is going to get we need to get rid of him so we can build a bit of momentum for the playoffs if Rankin is still in charge we have no chance in the playoffs at least if we had a new manager in and ended up losing them it would let a new manager see what needs improved for next season keeping Rankin only benfits Falkirk and the teams who are in the playoffs.

Realistically who would you even want as a replacement that's available.

The other thing worth noting is that if Rankin were to replicate the same win percentage (as he has at at this present moment) next season it would most likely be enough to win the league. It’s hard to legislate for a team going on the type of run Falkirk have so far, it’s not been the norm in this division. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

9 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

i would say Gary Bowyer who was at Dundee last season and got them promoted then was sacked he was recently linked with the Ayr job as well. Would have said Darren Young at Stirling but he's signed a new contract there so that's probably unlikely now. 

28 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

29 minutes ago, Beckford said:

Think you have missed a key element of my post tbh. The points Falkirk have gained is impressive and you are having an outstanding season. But if you account for this, and look at the rest of our performances, he has fell significantly short and that is why there is an appetite for change. We are miles behind not because of the way we played against Falkirk, we are miles behind due to the way we have played over a lot of this season. We have consistently been a weak team easily bullied, any manager should be able to address this at least.

Even when we win, a lot of the games have been by fine margins and the dropped points would not have happened if we had a manager capable of game management and getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal (to be clear, i am not one of the fans who think we have a great squad).

Most sensible Accies fans lost any faith of a league title win as a result of the way we collapsed during our game at home to Falkirk. It's the fact that there is little chance of promotion with Rankin as manager that raises concerns.

We should be doing all we can to really push for a play off win. This will require consistency of selection, having a squad of players clear on what their role is and what the game plan is and be working to build confidence and belief. We simply will not get this by continuing with the status quo. He us not being used as a scape goat or an excuse, this is just the reality of our situation. 

I think you are both over estimating how good your squad is TBH. It is little surprise to me you have faltered a bit after your good start, your squad isn't that good. If we were to lose a couple of games here and there it would be no surprise to me but the lead we have now will be enough to get us over the line as you will also drop points. This league is no gimmie - we know that too well. Rankin may not be the answer but as many of your problems stem from poor recruitment, loss of Scott Martin and a support that seems to think you are bigger and better than you are. 

PS If you won an Saturday I would not be shocked the way this league goes. 

Edited by BPM

1 minute ago, Ian Mcleod said:

i would say Gary Bowyer who was at Dundee last season and got them promoted then was sacked he was recently linked with the Ayr job as well. Would have said Darren Young at Stirling but he's signed a new contract there so that's probably unlikely now. 

Lol Gary Bowyer- as I was saying - ideas above your station

Edited by BPM

Just now, Ian Mcleod said:

How is someone who was interested in the Ayr job and didn't get it extremely unrealistic for Accies? 

Ayr have potential to grow and are not a basket case

15 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I was thinking about this and I genuinely don’t know to be fair, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t rid ourselves of an underperforming ‘manager’.

Jobby McCall would have been a good shout at the start of the season or in January last year when he allegedly offered his services to us. He has probably lost too much credit in football taking the basket case Clyde job though.

The club would no doubt go down the inexperienced route again employing James McArthur or similar and then selling him down the river by giving him a rookie assistant manager similar to what they have done bringing MacKinnon in now.

It also genuinely wouldn’t surprise me to see Gerry Strain appoint himself.

1 hour ago, BPM said:

I know it's easy to get ahead of yourself but Rangers 2013-14 is already unassailable with Falkirk's 5 draws this season.

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

I know it's easy to get ahead of yourself but Rangers 2013-14 is already unassailable with Falkirk's 5 draws this season.

Rangers is hardly a good comparison