Clyde Season 23/24

We were woeful at full back last season, an obvious weakness of the team, yet here we are with the same full backs signed up again.

Cant say I’m too excited about a goalie from last seasons bottom team either.

The ‘manager’ has spoken about fitness and we’ve signed several guys who can’t even run about for 90mins.

It’s all VERY underwhelming at the moment with an injury prone Cuddihy and big Sula probably the only ones that seem good signings. A few others that will give the benefit of the doubt but cumulatively it’s not a great squad at present.

100% agree squad to date is bang average. Given it’s L2 those players will cope slightly better and will draw certainly and even win more that they will lose unless out next 3/4 signings are infinitely better. No chance we  will win league with present squad. 
Craig certainly improved second half of the season and again last month or so and at 19 I’m ok with his signing. 
Keeper I know nothing about but I assume he can actually touch his toes so has to be improvement on Parry. 
Desperately need quality in midfield and obviously a proper striker or preferably 2 of each. Not confident that will happen I’m afraid. 

A bit like scullion I thought Craig started off poorly but certainly got better as the season went on, so happy enough that he’s back. 

14 signed now, with ray grant training I believe. Will need another 3 or 4 signed and a few loans to pad the squad out. 

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

100% agree squad to date is bang average. Given it’s L2 those players will cope slightly better and will draw certainly and even win more that they will lose unless out next 3/4 signings are infinitely better. No chance we  will win league with present squad. 
Craig certainly improved second half of the season and again last month or so and at 19 I’m ok with his signing. 
Keeper I know nothing about but I assume he can actually touch his toes so has to be improvement on Parry. 
Desperately need quality in midfield and obviously a proper striker or preferably 2 of each. Not confident that will happen I’m afraid. 

All the decent strikers are signed up by now (probably can't afford them out of our wage structure) or have fucked off to the big spenders in the WOS, we will need goals coming from throughout the team

1 hour ago, Miguel Ángel Espínola said:

All the decent strikers are signed up by now (probably can't afford them out of our wage structure) or have fucked off to the big spenders in the WOS, we will need goals coming from throughout the team

Suppose I meant quality in relative terms to what we have recently. I agree hard to come by and will be very lucky to get anything close to what we require. As for goals from elsewhere throughout the team, what we have at present are a mile off that. At least in terms of being close to winning the league. 

We are definitely assembling a squad that looks like being towards the bottom rather than the top half of the league (can’t see us signing a 15 goal a season striker so would predict we will end up 7th or 8th at this stage)

One goalie that is totally immobile and the other from the worst team in Scotland last year

Two full backs who were p”s4 last year and nothing to show they won’t be equally p”s4 this year

One of most immobile centre half’s have ever seen

The most immobile player in Scottish football in the last few years in Forbes.  Only get out is he scores the odd free kick

One of the worst Clyde players have ever seen in Cameron and was amazed that was even considered again

Our only hope is getting a half to full season out of Cuddihy and Grant in midfield but with one currently crocked and the other more than likely to be for fair share of the season then unlikely

Thought McLean spoke well at the recent meeting and bought in to his vision of “we will be the fittest team in the league”

No chance of that with the squad of player assembled.  They might be individually fit against their own standard but can’t see them being sufficiently fit to compete towards the top half of the league

Edited by Bullyweeno1

Really don’t get why people are talking Cuddihy up as one of the best players in the team or someone worth keeping. He’s not worth the risk of wasting a wage on a player who’s always injured and when he’s not contributes very little. He hasn’t performed well consistently for about 4 years.

6 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

We were woeful at full back last season, an obvious weakness of the team, yet here we are with the same full backs signed up again.

Cant say I’m too excited about a goalie from last seasons bottom team either.

The ‘manager’ has spoken about fitness and we’ve signed several guys who can’t even run about for 90mins.

It’s all VERY underwhelming at the moment with an injury prone Cuddihy and big Sula probably the only ones that seem good signings. A few others that will give the benefit of the doubt but cumulatively it’s not a great squad at present.

Sula a good signing.You need a sanity check.

10 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

We are definitely assembling a squad that looks like being towards the bottom rather than the top half of the league (can’t see us signing a 15 goal a season striker so would predict we will end up 7th or 8th at this stage)

One goalie that is totally immobile and the other from the worst team in Scotland last year

Two full backs who were p”s4 last year and nothing to show they won’t be equally p”s4 this year

One of most immobile centre half’s have ever seen

The most immobile player in Scottish football in the last few years in Forbes.  Only get out is he scores the odd free kick

One of the worst Clyde players have ever seen in Cameron and was amazed that was even considered again

Our only hope is getting a half to full season out of Cuddihy and Grant in midfield but with one currently crocked and the other more than likely to be for fair share of the season then unlikely

Thought McLean spoke well at the recent meeting and bought in to his vision of “we will be the fittest team in the league”

No chance of that with the squad of player assembled.  They might be individually fit against their own standard but can’t see them being sufficiently fit to compete towards the top half of the league

How on earth in 2 x 2 hour sessions are they going to make us the fittest tea, in the league? 

Not only that, but do you not winder why no other club at our level train on Mondays like we have been forced to next season? 

It is because the muscles are not fully recovered from Saturday - so Alannah will be the busiest person at Monday training as there will be a queue for the treatment bench.

Nah, can't see us anywhere but fighting it out at the bottom of the league.....don't forget the slashed budget we have been told about, highlighted by one of last years players being cut from £300 p/w to £100....doesn't bode well for the transfer market.

10 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

16 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Suppose I meant quality in relative terms to what we have recently. 

We'll clearly be going into the season with Martin Rennie as the starting centre forward (and not only because he's our only forward currently signed up) with some complete landfill bodies brought in to play second fiddle.

Rennie's only played 11 games in L2 for Montrose in 2018, scoring 4 goals (according to Transfermarkt) so we can't really be sure if he's going to produce at this level. From what I've seen though and given Montrose fans general opinion, he might just be fine. 

Leighfield
Lyon - Sula - Grant - Craig
Carswell - Cuddihy
Scullion - Forbes - Cameron
Rennie

Parry, R Grant, Hynes, Dunachie

Looking at something along they lines at present (presuming R Grant is still out for a while). Desperately need more and not squad fillers either, players that'll go into the starting 11. 

We are needing some quality in attack but I don't think we will sign anyone that decent tbf. Can't think of many good players that are available right now as all of the decent players have been snapped up. I can only think of Russell mcLean and Josh Oynisan. I think we will be relying on a few decent loans hopefully to carry us.

I also think not resigning Conner Duthie might come back to bite us.

Edited by Jack Phillips

Josh Oyinsan was shite when I saw him play against us. And his 11 career goals in 8 years (according to soccerbase stats) doesn’t bode well either.

We will struggle if we are wanting to sign players from a team that was quite remarkably worse than us last season.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

1 hour ago, CM. said:

Leighfield
Lyon - Sula - Grant - Craig
Carswell - Cuddihy
Scullion - Forbes - Cameron
Rennie

Parry, R Grant, Hynes, Dunachie

I think we're more likely to see Forbes out on the right to swing balls in. Absolutely no way he can be trusted as a no. 10. He cannot move. I believe he played on the right mainly for Stenny last season although @Francesc Fabregas will be able to advise properly. At least if he's out there, he can tuck in to allow the overlap.

No doubt about it - that starting 11 is dugmeat. What's very worrying is although business is slow, the majority of teams generally get most of their starting 11 sorted early, which obviously leads me to believe that the above is pretty much what we're going to be going with.

We desperately need some creativity in the forward positions. A no. 10, facilitator-type who can chip in with a few goals.

Perhaps the most worrying stat of all is with all 15 players named above, only 15 goals were scored between them last season.

Regardless of opinions on Doherty, I find it incomprehensible that we would let one of two strikers (indeed, one of three attacking players) go without having any sort of plan on how we would replace him. Not surprised though!

I think that rather than free agents, we are probably hoping that one or two further up the food chain decide they've got a contract or two to get off their books. Given he spent an unglamorous spell at Stenny last season, I'm actually surprised Gavin Reilly wasn't included in the Doherty deal.

23 minutes ago, David W said:

Given he spent an unglamorous spell at Stenny last season, I'm actually surprised Gavin Reilly wasn't included in the Doherty deal.

I thought this was weird too. I know his spell at Stenny wasn't great but I'm sure he could probably still do a decent job at L2 level. Obviously yesterday's game isn't much to go by but he did start and score for QotS against East Kilbride so maybe he's still part of the plans.