Clyde Season 23/24

All for giving the young lads a chance, it’s a rung above signing known jobbers. These new signings could be anything and I’d rather take a punt on them than guys like Mortimer again. 2 year deals raise eyebrows if it doesn’t work out but if it does it’s good business. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'll bet a club like Clyde do have the knowledge in their support to run the club. The problem I think is that these people don't always have the time required to put in (as they'll more than likely have successful businesses/careers to look after) or that they come up against barriers (such as other people they are unwilling to work with). In theory any idiots should be voted out and the people with the know how prevail but if idiots have enough support among other idiots it can be a difficult situation. I don't know how Clydes board is elected but it sounds to me like you have enough disgruntlement amongst your support to change things. What process do the members have for calling an EGM or something along those lines? 

I would love to reply to this as you make some very good points (in my opinion/experience), but it just isn't worth the aggravation and attention.....

We’ve signed Conor Scullion too who’s Liam’s brother. He was probably the most committed Clyde fan I’ve ever seen last season and probably attended more matches than me so hopefully that translates onto the pitch!

10 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Connor Scullion ticks the ‘played for Jim Duffy’ box for today I think. I’m sure I remember him at Dumbarton during that time?

He did aye. I’m 90% sure he was one of the numerous exit trial guys Duffy signed and he made very little impact in his time with us. I think Duffy even punted him midway through the season and I’ve no idea where he’s been since.

For a guy of Jim Duffys experience in Scottish football, at numerous levels throughout the SPFL, it’s truly astonishing how he has to resort to mostly just signing guys he’s worked with in the past. A Jim Duffy transfer window has to be one of the most depressing experiences known to man!

10 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Connor Scullion ticks the ‘played for Jim Duffy’ box for today I think. I’m sure I remember him at Dumbarton during that time?

You'd be correct.

We signed Conor from the exit trials in 2019. The famed summer that also brought such big guns as Ryan Tierney, Jordan Pettigrew, Isaac Layne, Jordan McMillan and Mati Zata (pound for pound the worst player I think I have ever seen play for us.) as we scrabbled around at the last minute to assemble a squad.

Scullion had apparently been quite decent for Cumbernauld United and certainly looked the park with his hair, tan and tattoos.

He didn't see a lot of game-time after a pre-season injury, but after quite a few pumpings he was handed his first start up at Peterhead in a game we won 3-2. He played well too. Not standout well, but he worked hard, put a few decent deliveries in and played with a bit of a swagger. He started the following week too, in a 3-1 win over Stranraer. And was absolutely fine again. He didn't look amazing, he didn't look out of place.

That was the last game he started until the week before Christmas. When we went into a game at Stark's Park with just two outfield subs. Duffy had no option but to start him, he was terrific and we won 2-1. I really thought we might've unearthed a guy with a bit of potential. A week later he set up Ryan Tierney's goal in a 1-1 draw with Stranraer, his first (and only) statistical contribution in a Sons shirt.

But he started the next week against Falkirk (where we had a two man bench; Lewis Crawford and Mati Zata, one for the ages that), came on as a last minute sub in the Scottish Cup loss to Aberdeen and was then punted. And that was that. I can't say I've thought about him at all since.

I think he went to Fauldhouse for a wee while, and after that I lost him. But I assumed he'd chucked football.

He's a strange signing for you lot on a number of levels. I know his brother is obviously there, but Duffy never fancied him at all when he was at The Rock. Despite him not looking the worst player in the world at the time. It's like he's literally just searching his phone book for free agents and flinging a deal at them.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

You'd be correct.

We signed Conor from the exit trials in 2019. The famed summer that also brought such big guns as Ryan Tierney, Jordan Pettigrew, Isaac Layne, Jordan McMillan and Mati Zata (pound for pound the worst player I think I have ever seen play for us.) as we scrabbled around at the last minute to assemble a squad.

Scullion had apparently been quite decent for Cumbernauld United and certainly looked the park with his hair, tan and tattoos.

He didn't see a lot of game-time after a pre-season injury, but after quite a few pumpings he was handed his first start up at Peterhead in a game we won 3-2. He played well too. Not standout well, but he worked hard, put a few decent deliveries in and played with a bit of a swagger. He started the following week too, in a 3-1 win over Stranraer. And was absolutely fine again. He didn't look amazing, he didn't look out of place.

That was the last game he started until the week before Christmas. When we went into a game at Stark's Park with just two outfield subs. Duffy had no option but to start him, he was terrific and we won 2-1. I really thought we might've unearthed a guy with a bit of potential. A week later he set up Ryan Tierney's goal in a 1-1 draw with Stranraer, his first (and only) statistical contribution in a Sons shirt.

But he started the next week against Falkirk (where we had a two man bench; Lewis Crawford and Mati Zata, one for the ages that), came on as a last minute sub in the Scottish Cup loss to Aberdeen and was then punted. And that was that. I can't say I've thought about him at all since.

I think he went to Fauldhouse for a wee while, and after that I lost him. But I assumed he'd chucked football.

He's a strange signing for you lot on a number of levels. I know his brother is obviously there, but Duffy never fancied him at all when he was at The Rock. Despite him not looking the worst player in the world at the time. It's like he's literally just searching his phone book for free agents and flinging a deal at them.

He's come to Clyde, so you can say he's definitely chucked football

Looking at the squad I think another left sided defender, a striker and possibly a center mid on loan at least until Ray Grant is back.

I'd imagine our lineup for Saturday will be this;

Leighfield

Lyon Sula Grant Craig

Cuddihy Carswell Hynes

L Scullion Forbes

Rennie

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

Looking back at the Paul Kelly cup photo and trying to figure out if it’s him. If he’s the lad the played up front at number 10 he looked not bad. Good physical size and at 18 you’d think plenty of potential to develop. 

Playing against jnrs though- not arse kicking experienced pros  in league 2 though