Clyde Season 23/24

Knowledge is power and fans have disadvantage of having to guess what goes on in the. Boardroom.

But if Mr Thomson has an ounce of commercial awareness he needs to recognise that in any business if the product is useless then customers will not buy. If that product is meant to be entertainment and it is completely absent then there is no business and therefore no customers.

Loyalty is admirable but it won't be sustained to the extent of crass pointlessness.

Ps sorry for screeds of emptiness at foot of post - I am NOT leaning on space bar. Suggestions welcome please.

The reappointment of Duffy as director of football was marketing suicide.

How many supporters failed to renew knowing that Duffy was returning? What excitement does he bring. Even Brian McLean sounds suicidal pre and post match.

I know of no Clyde fans who genuinely believes Duffy is no longer "managing" the team. He's been, up until yesterday, directing players on the field whilst head coach McLean sits in silence.

It didn't happen yesterday because fans flagged it up last week but McLean still stayed silence standing on the touch line. Do our young squad not need guidance from pitch side from our coach?

McLean, according to our chairman, lacks enough experience to fully undertake match day team matters and needs the guiding hand of our director of football. My question would be, why then did we give the position of head coach to someone currently unable to do the job unaided. Was there no one better or would other candidates refuse to take part in the "head coach/director of football" charade?

It's nuts. Not to mention Parry, Cameron, Rennie, Lyons, all fullbacks at the club, the nursery department and Fatty Forbes.

Edited by haufdaft

We have only managed to win the second fixture of the season twice in 13 years, so maybe yesterday was always likely to be disastrous.

The only thing worse than watching Duffyball, is watching players who are not good enough attempting to pass the ball, before punting it forward anyway. Unless you are blessed with a Goodwillie or McAllister and can try something a bit different, League 2 football doesn't require anything complicated; get two up front, players who can run across the midfield to pick up second balls and get in the box, and centre halves who can head the ball. If you can get a ball carrier to get you up the pitch then even better.   

McLean has got no hope given the hand he's been dealt in terms of players; he can shout anything he likes or pick them in any formation that he likes and we'll be poor. However, I've no idea what he was thinking leaving Rennie on his own up front yesterday, not even playing a midfielder off him. 

The chairman went on about Duffy's networks in the podcast. I'd be interested to know why he hasn't use these in any of his managerial posts. The idea of him being given any sort of money to spend is terrifying. I've tried to get my head around it, genuinely tried to accept it, but I keep coming back to a deep feeling that the entire support has been openly insulted by his retention. They now have a substantial track record of being completely out of touch with the fanbase.

The first thing that any new investment should bring should be a management team with a strong track record, or even someone fresh to work with McLean if we misguidedly feel he deserves more of an opportunity. This league is wide open this season; that might not be the case next year if an East Kilbride come up.

38 minutes ago, David W said:

We have only managed to win the second fixture of the season twice in 13 years, so maybe yesterday was always likely to be disastrous.

The only thing worse than watching Duffyball, is watching players who are not good enough attempting to pass the ball, before punting it forward anyway. Unless you are blessed with a Goodwillie or McAllister and can try something a bit different, League 2 football doesn't require anything complicated; get two up front, players who can run across the midfield to pick up second balls and get in the box, and centre halves who can head the ball. If you can get a ball carrier to get you up the pitch then even better.   

McLean has got no hope given the hand he's been dealt in terms of players; he can shout anything he likes or pick them in any formation that he likes and we'll be poor. However, I've no idea what he was thinking leaving Rennie on his own up front yesterday, not even playing a midfielder off him. 

The chairman went on about Duffy's networks in the podcast. I'd be interested to know why he hasn't use these in any of his managerial posts. The idea of him being given any sort of money to spend is terrifying. I've tried to get my head around it, genuinely tried to accept it, but I keep coming back to a deep feeling that the entire support has been openly insulted by his retention. They now have a substantial track record of being completely out of touch with the fanbase.

The first thing that any new investment should bring should be a management team with a strong track record, or even someone fresh to work with McLean if we misguidedly feel he deserves more of an opportunity. This league is wide open this season; that might not be the case next year if an East Kilbride come up.

If there is an investor prepared to invest money in Clyde he must be a complete idiot.

8 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

This isn’t rocket science.Get rid of Duffy and his rookie manager and bring a manager in with a proven track record.The main problem is Gordon Thomson and his cronies.I’m sick listening about crownpoint.We will be in the lowland league and it won’t matter although it is a pipe dream.

Alexander still heavily involved I hear

2 hours ago, David W said:

We could not live with EK in a two legged play off BTW. They’d pass us off the park.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything else you say.

3 hours ago, haufdaft said:

The reappointment of Duffy as director of football was marketing suicide.

How many supporters failed to renew knowing that Duffy was returning? What excitement does he bring. Even Brian McLean sounds suicidal pre and post match.

I know of no Clyde fans who genuinely believes Duffy is no longer "managing" the team. He's been, up until yesterday, directing players on the field whilst head coach McLean sits in silence.

It didn't happen yesterday because fans flagged it up last week but McLean still stayed silence standing on the touch line. Do our young squad not need guidance from pitch side from our coach?

McLean, according to our chairman, lacks enough experience to fully undertake match day team matters and needs the guiding hand of our director of football. My question would be, why then did we give the position of head coach to someone currently unable to do the job unaided. Was there no one better or would other candidates refuse to take part in the "head coach/director of football" charade?

It's nuts. Not to mention Parry, Cameron, Rennie, Lyons, all fullbacks at the club, the nursery department and Fatty Forbes.

A lot of people called this at the time and were drowned out by those saying how impressed they were by McLean at the meeting. We’ll be the fittest in the league will we….my god have they seen how immobile Forbes and Carswell are?

Training on Mon/Wed is not helpful either (which was pointed out also).

Take next week- training on  Monday will produce more strains or sore muscles- match Wednesday and so no set up training for Saturday v Peterhead. Whatever the result on Wednesday it’ll be see you at 1pm Saturday boys- v a strong looking Peterhead.

By the time we can bring loanees in at end of Sept we might already be too far adrift to make the playoffs.

We will also be hearing cliches in the manager interviews like “the group is still settling in” and “it’s a work in process” even more if we bring new faces in.

“The manager” as he’s being portrayed, inspires zero confidence with his almost rabbit in the headlights media persona and being a first time coach he has no track record to comfort us with, unlike the DOF who does have a track record “not” to comfort us with.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with those who are calling for the head of the Chairman, his Board colleagues and the now invisible man who controls them.

Major changes required and I only hope the investor is aware of what he’s walking into and instigates changes amongst the decision makers very quickly.

6 hours ago, Kempes said:

Reading this thread, I seriously wonder why Clyde fans don’t just stop going. I could rhyme off a long list of good reasons, in particular the contempt that the board has had for the supporters for many years. For me, signing DG (the first time!) was the final straw, especially when no-one on the board could even be bothered to respond to my emailed complaint, despite the fact that I was a third generation season ticket holder of (too) many years. There is life beyond this self-inflicted torture. Stop going; go to see football elsewhere. You might even regain your love for the game and decide to invest your support, and your hard-earned cash, in a proper football club. You know it makes sense.

I guess for many it’s just in the blood. Happy memories of Clyde. Still that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you see the name of your team on the vidi printer on tv. …… but just in case… which team do YOU watch now?

6 hours ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

I guess for many it’s just in the blood. Happy memories of Clyde. Still that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you see the name of your team on the vidi printer on tv. …… but just in case… which team do YOU watch now?

I switched to St Mirren when Jack Ross was the manager. Fan-owned club, great wee stadium, brilliant fans, genuine team (and community) spirit, same colours, not the Old Firm or Thistle, etc. My family tree goes back from Bridgeton and Dalmarnock to Paisley, so there is that as well. I was born in Crownpoint Road but even the proposed venture would not tempt me back. As I said before, I didn’t leave Clyde, they left me! For a self-proclaimed community club to behave as they have over the last 6-7 years beggars belief. I feel for the fans who still go, but certainly don’t regret moving on (with a heavy heart)…

3 minutes ago, Kempes said:

I switched to St Mirren when Jack Ross was the manager. Fan-owned club, great wee stadium, brilliant fans, genuine team (and community) spirit, same colours, not the Old Firm or Thistle, etc. My family tree goes back from Bridgeton and Dalmarnock to Paisley, so there is that as well. I was born in Crownpoint Road but even the proposed venture would not tempt me back. As I said before, I didn’t leave Clyde, they left me! For a self-proclaimed community club to behave as they have over the last 6-7 years beggars belief. I feel for the fans who still go, but certainly don’t regret moving on (with a heavy heart)…

Yes, it is getting very difficult to continue supporting and experiencing one bad decision after another at Board level and seeing the revolving door of Directors.  I find it incredible that people still support this Board and seem to forgive the way they run things.

I know the following analogy is usually used in another life experience.....but it is becoming more and more like standing on the kerb watching your favourite pub burn down.

They just won't accept criticism...they don't see their errors, they don't respect the fan's opinions........oh and then we have the but who would do it if they leave brigade.

It's going to end badly if this lot continue in office and unless the new money guy is prepared to stand up to this Board and their unofficial leader, he may as well donate his money to charity.

15 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Maybe I'll switch to Fulham or Ayr United ...no wait Crewe Alex or Salford or Man U or Notts Forrest....going by the colurs only of course....joking apart....glad you are enjoying your football again.

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Switching allegiances is easier said than done.

Absolutely agree, I just could not bring myself to support another club, just couldn’t do it.
Like the original poster my family originally come from  Dalmarnock and all supported the Club, now me (for 50 odd years) and my 2 sons.  
Aye it’s a hard watch and has been for years but as I say couldn’t “support” another side. 
Personal decision obviously. 

There's plenty of times I've taken a scunner and switched off or walked away (although never completely)-  this last few years being a prime example but I could never abandon the Clyde completely especially for another SFPL team. I used to go and see Pollok (and other junior outfits) on the odd occasion years ago but it's just not the same

I've stayed away for a good while but stupidly made the mistake of attending on Saturday.

I think I speak for most football fans generally when I say you can stomach losing when the team has tried their heart out. That cannot be said for that absolute monstrosity of a display against Bonnyrigg. Duffyball continues in full effect - despite it not working whilst Rennie was still on the pitch, nevermind when he came off injured. Players happier to flail about and moan at the referee than get their finger out. McLean stood on sidelines hands in pockets absolutely lifeless. No desire, no fight, no ideas. 

Stevie Wonder could've seen that signing a bunch of players from university/youth teams was never going to work. Who is supposed to be enthused about this available money when Duffy is the one being entrusted to spend it? (I know they won't because why would the Clyde board allow themselves to be questioned by mere supporters) but SURELY questions have to be asked of what Duffy is actually contributing?

• The only player we've signed so far who looks halfway decent is Logan Dunachie who is going to be hamstrung by having to deal with the likes of Peter Grant & Jon Craig either side of him. 
  • Re-signing Neil Parry, Peter Grant & Jon Craig despite every single piece of evidence last season is an absolute shambles. 
  • Again, how is anyone supposed to be convinced that this apparent enhanced budget is going to be used to address the glaring issues in this squad in right way on the face of everything we've seen so far? 
9 hours ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Major changes required and I only hope the investor is aware of what he’s walking into and instigates changes amongst the decision makers very quickly.

^ This. Duffy & McLean are only the tip of this iceberg. Thomson and the board need to go for any meaningful change to ever happen at this club. I worry that the only way change would ever be forced at Clyde is if supporters started voting with their wallets, more than just not renewing season tickets. Stop attending and allowing the board to take your money and disregard your opinions. Not something anyone wants to see as it directly impacts the club, but how else is change supposed to be forced at this stage? 

P.s. creative shouts like "Jurrasic Jim" provided some light entertainment amongst the absolute drech on Saturday. 

Forever and ever etc etc

2 hours ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Yes, it is getting very difficult to continue supporting and experiencing one bad decision after another at Board level and seeing the revolving door of Directors.  I find it incredible that people still support this Board and seem to forgive the way they run things.

I know the following analogy is usually used in another life experience.....but it is becoming more and more like standing on the kerb watching your favourite pub burn down.

They just won't accept criticism...they don't see their errors, they don't respect the fan's opinions........oh and then we have the but who would do it if they leave brigade.

It's going to end badly if this lot continue in office and unless the new money guy is prepared to stand up to this Board and their unofficial leader, he may as well donate his money to charity.

I will give it one more try then to your point above about who?

Who is waiting to run the club should all of them resign tomorrow on the back of the past couple of year's performances and decision-making?

Name names, otherwise it is just empty criticism. 

Also - let us, the rest of the fan base know what skills and experience these replacement Board members would have that would result in an improvement in fortunes.

You can't simply post three times a day repeating criticism without ever putting forward an alternative plan worth discussing. 

9 hours ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

A lot of people called this at the time and were drowned out by those saying how impressed they were by McLean at the meeting. We’ll be the fittest in the league will we….my god have they seen how immobile Forbes and Carswell are?

Have to admit I was one of those who went to meeting and was impressed by McLean when he spoke

But easy to say stuff.  It all comes down to putting it into action

To say the team is going to be the fittest in the league and then sign the most immobile player in Scottish football since Mark Yardley just doesn’t make sense

Also doesn’t help himself with his talks post match.  If that’s what he is like with the players then no wonder most of them play like they are half asleep

Although only 6 competitive games in it is clear that the squad assembled and McLean aren’t fit for purpose and hopefully the investor can give us a couple of years payment in advance to get rid of Duffy and McLean, get someone with a proven track record in and get the squad cleared out and start again

It obvious to anyone that this squad will be no where near play off contenders and more likely to in the bottom two or three spots.

Would also welcome anyone else with fresh ideas, energy and time to replace the existing Chairman as unfortunately nice guy that he is his time is now up and needs relieved of his position