Clyde Season 23/24

Just now, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Perhaps it is because there is no budget to do otherwise? I don't know that, I have no insight, but that can surely be the only explanation. Unless someone else can think of an alternative reason?

Duffy is notorious for not paying players what others at the same level are paid.

It is common knowledge that there is a chunk of the budget to be spent so no budget isnt the reason.

He has obviously tried the strategy of bringing in some players from a lower level.  Unfortunately he overlooked one critical point - they are in the main absolutely hopeless and were playing at that level for a reason.

He should have instead invested in the number 6, 9 and 11 from Stirling Univ.  Much better use of the budget.

I think the chairman indicated two aspects: us being quite late starting our business (playoffs not helping) and waiting for final budget to be set. Now being patient until teams further up start shedding players.

Having the manager position sorted before the end of the season would have made a difference. I've no idea why teams appoint late on and wonder why there's a struggle to find players.

17 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Duffy is notorious for not paying players what others at the same level are paid.

It is common knowledge that there is a chunk of the budget to be spent so no budget isnt the reason.

He has obviously tried the strategy of bringing in some players from a lower level.  Unfortunately he overlooked one critical point - they are in the main absolutely hopeless and were playing at that level for a reason.

He should have instead invested in the number 6, 9 and 11 from Stirling Univ.  Much better use of the budget.

It is common knowledge that it has been announced that there is a chunk of budget.

Lets wait and see if any more budget is used in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it is to the fullest advantage.

54 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Uninformed, unintelligent and unwanted- you vile man 

Three words that describe you perfectly, also like the comedic value that you call me vile, yet you're the same guy who bullies club volunteers from behind a keyboard / smart phone...

47 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

He shouldn't have been looking at lower league players and should have signed three guys from a lower league.  I'm confused.

Without sounding like I am defending Duffy here but perhaps he looked at the players you have signed and saw them playing at a level where he thought they would have you competing.

I too was confused by that!
I hear it on all forums that we should sign this player and that player in this position and that! To sign a player at this level, you need to find someone out of contract, attract him through financial incentive or the incentive of playing in a winning team going places. If you have not got that, lower level and loans are your only option no matter what you wish. I’m sure your club like every other has a wish list mine included but it’s not fantasy football and not easy.

https://stirlingunifc.stir.ac.uk/2023/08/17/sensational-stirling-sink-clyde-in-famous-cup-upset/

The link above gives a very accurate account of the events of last night, and a fair assessment of the game.  The only thing with which I take issue is - "famous cup upset" in the title. It was never a cup upset and it was always there for Stirling to win from the word go.  Doubt many Clyde fans would disagree with that. 

Edited by Fast_Action

4 hours ago, haufdaft said:

This question is always unanswered. Who takes over?

It needs answered. 

Who takes over?

I don't know the answer to this either but to continue with the current situation purely because the alternative is an unknown quantity isn't the answer. 

There are probably multiple options in terms of a takeover/change (including potentially dissolving the CIC model) and I think every single one of these potentials should be looked at and given equal consideration.

I'm not advocating sacking the entire current board (or even the chairman) as I believe the priority should be in getting rid of Duffy (and possibly McLean) with a view to getting a new manager and assistant in to tweak/build the squad. To continually tell people "not in the know" there is no point calling for change because we can't tell you exactly who it is waiting in the wings to take over from the current chairman/board isn't helpful. 

I wonder what would happen if, for example, we were to publicly advertise the position of Clyde chairperson. Do you believe no one would apply?

Edited by RutherGlen

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Thirds went out of business the year Clyde finished third in the top flight.

Thirds went from Glasgow Cup Winners (a prestigious trophy back then) to liquidation in in 4 seasons. Clyde seem to be taking a wee bit longer, hope you can turn things round.

Third Lanark also finished third in the top flight in season 1960/61 scoring 100 goals in the process.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Worm said:

Third Lanark also finished third in the top flight in season 1960/61 scoring 100 goals in the process.

Indeed - hard to imagine, 4 years later relegated with 7 points (2 points for a win) after losing 20 league games in a row. And yet, at the beginning of January, they were still only 3 points behind Dundee United...

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

3 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Three words that describe you perfectly, also like the comedic value that you call me vile, yet you're the same guy who bullies club volunteers from behind a keyboard / smart phone...

Well we will just have to agree to despise each other...no sleep lost here. Remind us.....why did you get banned from going to Rangers games?

18 minutes ago, Clyde85 said:

Why has McLean and Duffy not resigned?

I can only conclude the board are sticking with the narrative this is a long term project and so don't want to be seen to have what some may interpret as a "knee jerk" reaction to recent results. The new set up is still in its infancy but the problem is there are ZERO signs it is going to lead to anything productive no matter how long we wait. 

I fear what's going to happen is the board will give Duffy/McLean at least half the season to at least cobble together a few draws/wins and only act to get rid of them should there be a string of losses from now until mid-season. Of course by that point it will probably be far too late. It's utter madness. 

Edited by RutherGlen

37 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I can only conclude the board are sticking with the narrative this is a long term project and so don't want to be seen to have what some may interpret as a "knee jerk" reaction to recent results. The new set up is still in its infancy but the problem is there are ZERO signs it is going to lead to anything productive no matter how long we wait. 

I fear what's going to happen is the board will give Duffy/McLean at least half the season to at least cobble together a few draws/wins and only act to get rid of them should there be a string of losses from now until mid-season. Of course by that point it will probably be far too late. It's utter madness. 

By my calculations since Duffy came back to the club in November 2022 we have won 4 competitive matches in 90mins out of 36 played.

How can anyone in their right mind think this is the man to spearhead our football operations.

5 hours ago, strichener said:

He shouldn't have been looking at lower league players and should have signed three guys from a lower league.  I'm confused.

Without sounding like I am defending Duffy here but perhaps he looked at the players you have signed and saw them playing at a level where he thought they would have you competing.

What i mean is that nothing against getting players from a lower league.  But they need to be able to step up.

Just my opinion but the players signed are not good enough and will never be good enough to step up. 

Again my opinion that the 3 I singled out from Stirling Univ last night would have been a much better option that what we have signed again based on the game last night.

Suppose all about opinions on a player at the end of the day