Clyde Season 23/24

If nothing else, it’s something to inject a bit of optimism into the club. Similar type of feeling as to when Danny Lennon was first appointed. Lots of work to do but it’s something to get a bit of a buzz about the place. Maybe some evidence that we actually do have some money going about now. I can’t imagine he would join without assurances of being well backed.

Bit of a coup for this level.

Massive upgrade on McLean and very good at making limited players look decent but absolutely has a quality eye for a player.

That being said, Jim Duffy used to be amazing at making shite players quite decent (although his eye for a player wasn't near as good as McCall's) and he was a fucking nightmare for you lot so I suppose it depends if McCall still has the hunger or not.

Just now, not man of the match said:

Unless he has a good number two with him (and not in a shoe) then I really fear for Clyde with this appointment.

The man is a disaster, he couldn’t coach a shite out of an arsehole.

Needless to say, I was not surprised to see you support Clydebank given the history between himself and your club.

His arse collapsed at Clydebank as soon as Gordon Chisholm walked away, after spending a budget that didn’t exist as him and his mates did their best to kill off our club.

He failed at Morton. Did ok at Airdrie when spending money they didn’t have as they went bust. Won the Stirlingshire Cup at Falkirk.

Did nothing at United, cost QoS £20k. Lost the lottery at Thistle and went missing for years.

A bit of fortune at Ayr and then relegated Thistle.

We have our own reasons to dislike him but his stats are mince.

Edited by not man of the match

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bit of a coup for this level.

Massive upgrade on McLean and very good at making limited players look decent but absolutely has a quality eye for a player.

That being said, Jim Duffy used to be amazing at making shite players quite decent (although his eye for a player wasn't near as good as McCall's) and he was a fucking nightmare for you lot so I suppose it depends if McCall still has the hunger or not.

Duffy actually didn't do terribly with us last season given the utter rabble he inherited - the football was eye-bleeding though and his recruitment in the DoF role was arguably even worse than his usual.

Couldn't have asked for better than McCall in our current position. Really pleased with that and credit must go to the board and those helping them out for pulling this one off.

Jim Duffy nearly got an absolutely honking Clyde squad promoted via the playoffs in League 2. He turned one of our worst ever teams imo into a decent lower league side. He didn't have the same success last time around but he did inherit another poor squad of players.

Quite happy with the appointment of McCall, at our level we couldn't have asked for much better in a manager. Hopefully he recruits well and gets a tune out of the ones he doesn't punt in the current squad!

Always like how the same Partick fans pipe in on our threads despite the fact they say we're not their rivals anymore. Funny this time it's about the same guy who has managed their club twice!

41 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

I think that is a great appointment by Clyde. He saved us when we were sitting bottom of the Championship. All the best for the rest of the season. 

Tbf it was as equally in part to Stranraer's arse completely collapsing. 

It's not a bad bit of business for Clyde and could have done far worse. I think there's a lot of revisionism going on mind you. It's an interesting one for McCall to take. If he can get Clyde up from League 2 his stock will rise but if he fails miserably I don't think he'll get a good gig for a while after it. 

3 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Jim Duffy nearly got an absolutely honking Clyde squad promoted via the playoffs in League 2. He turned one of our worst ever teams imo into a decent lower league side. He didn't have the same success last time around but he did inherit another poor squad of players.

Quite happy with the appointment of McCall, at our level we couldn't have asked for much better in a manager. Hopefully he recruits well and gets a tune out of the ones he doesn't punt in the current squad!

Always like how the same Partick fans pipe in on our threads despite the fact they say we're not their rivals anymore. Funny this time it's about the same guy who has managed their club twice!

And made an arse of it twice.

Intriguing appointment by Clyde.

The chairman should have done a bit of research though.

In Ian, we have secured a manager who last season was working in the Championship, and left a team in the promotion playoff position. Although we spoke with a wide range of prospective candidates, Ian’s enthusiasm, determination and plan to succeed shone through.

He might not have been sacked if that was the case.

I wonder what players he'll be targeting in January? A few loans from the OF perhaps. Not too sure about his contacts in the part-time sphere.

Interesting times. A possible green shoot of recovery for Clyde.

40 minutes ago, not man of the match said:

His arse collapsed at Clydebank as soon as Gordon Chisholm walked away, after spending a budget that didn’t exist as him and his mates did their best to kill off our club.

He failed at Morton. Did ok at Airdrie when spending money they didn’t have as they went bust. Won the Stirlingshire Cup at Falkirk.

Did nothing at United, cost QoS £20k. Lost the lottery at Thistle and went missing for years.

McCall is a melt, but I'd say he did a decent job in 03-04 at Utd. 5th place finish & built a pretty decent squad.

47 minutes ago, not man of the match said:

Aye, but apart from that...

On 13/11/2023 at 21:23, Brian Carrigan said:

Quite funny that some people pretending to be in the know are saying Kennedy was never in the mix and other people pretending to be in the know are saying he was offered the job and turned it down.

No one revealing their sources.

Weird that. 

First pretending to be in the know about the Kilbride Cramp Twins, then Mr McCall. Those mystery sources must have just accidentally got it right.

Weird that.

😎

It’s incredible how quickly Thistle’s relegation in 2020 appears to have gone from the biggest injustice in sporting history, to the biggest managerial failure in sporting history in some of their supporters’ eyes.

There isn’t a single player/coach/manager in Scottish League 2 who is a perfect all rounder, or they simply wouldn’t be operating at this level. Having a look at Queen of the South and Alloa’s threads recently, a lot of their fans would’ve taken your hand off for McCall so the fact we’ve managed to land him despite propping up the other 41 teams in the SPFL is clearly a bit of a coup. 

Couldn’t give a shit if he’s using as a springboard to get back to FT football, or using us as a last payday - as he long as he gets us out this mess we’re in and, dare I say it, brings a bit of success then I’m all for it.