Clyde Season 23/24

23 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Peter Grant isn’t even close to the worst player in that squad, utter nonsense. 

Can I introduce Stevie wonder to the group. You don’t know what you talking about.Peter grant can’t run tackle defend pass the ball win headers.Have I missed anything and let’s see if he starts on Friday as he is useless.

17 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Says more about us that we only have 7 points after 13 games in this league, sadly.

I think it’s some feat of achievement to assemble a group of players so bad the majority of them wouldn’t get a game in the lowland league. McCall  needs a complete clear out and I fear with the shite he is working with it will be his excuse for failure and relegation into the lowland league.Let’s hope he has money to spend which will allow him to field a team that can at the very least compete. Remember the other teams at the bottom will also invest as they are also fighting for their lives.I don’t think our squad gives a fek.

Looking ahead to January and thinking what we need(a complete overhaul but obviously not possible) -

Goalkeeper - punt one, preferably Leighfield, and get someone better in. 

Left back - anyone remotely more competent than Craig or having to put Lyon there. 

Centre back - maybe if we can keep Whyte and actually play him in there. 

Right back - thought Hynes did ok there and could do a job for the rest of the season. 

We need another centre midfielder to go along with scullion, Carswell and Forbes are not the answer. 

A winger as we don’t seem to have many, or any good ones. 

Rennie and Young seemed to be merging a decent partnership but another one up there would help. 

Assuming Alex King will go back to Morton, and quite honestly he doesn’t look interested anyway. Ji Stevenson can go back to Partick. 

Josh McCulloch, Euan Cameron, Conor Scullion, Cameron Mulvanny can all just go. 

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Looking ahead to January and thinking what we need(a complete overhaul but obviously not possible)

I don't think there will be as much movement in January as most of us would like. I imagine this season will be about getting to May in at least 9th position in the league before a complete overhaul in the summer. I think my main desire is that McCall can overcome the 'Clyde Madness' and just play bodies in their correct positions and address the obvious deficiencies in the squad, which should see us safe.

My prediction is that King and Stevenson will go, along with the likes of Conor Scullion and Mulvanny. I reckon McCall will bring in a couple of sensible loans and maybe be able to wangle a couple of free transfers that toe the line between 'experienced' and 'finished'. Of course, as good a partnership as Rennie and Young are forming neither of them looks like a real goalscorer, so it would be good if that could be addressed in some way.

I don’t think McCall is the type who will suffer passengers in his squad. The likes of Cameron, C Scullion, McCulloch, Mulvanney, (Lyon too hopefully) will be “punted” one way or another, even if it’s payed off.

King, Stevenson and Leslie can be sent back on 1st January none are either ready or good enough take your pick. I accept King has potential to be a decent player but not for us at the moment. 
Whyte I’m not convinced but will judge when / if he plays at the back where we are told he is decent? Think the original loan was till January anyway?

Ray Grant will be like new signing which hopefully helps, fitness permitting of course. 

Priority are Goal keeper (unless a decent defence allows us to get away with what we have?), full backs, a mobile CH, a dynamic and or creative midfield player and at least one wide player. A goal scorer would be nice but not easy to find. That’s just to make us competitive.

Big job and not straight forward even with the Significant funds we apparently have. Clubs won’t give players away as demonstrated last window when Maitland tried his best albeit late in the day to get proper players in. That said McCall has a good track record of spotting players so fingers crossed… January can’t come quick enough. 

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I don't think there will be as much movement in January as most of us would like. 

The reality is this isn’t possible in January. There needs to be a minimum of 4 or 5 out and the same in, maybe 6 but that’s starting to push it. 

On 19/11/2023 at 16:59, JIMMY CHOO said:

I think it’s some feat of achievement to assemble a group of players so bad the majority of them wouldn’t get a game in the lowland league. McCall  needs a complete clear out and I fear with the shite he is working with it will be his excuse for failure and relegation into the lowland league.Let’s hope he has money to spend which will allow him to field a team that can at the very least compete. Remember the other teams at the bottom will also invest as they are also fighting for their lives.I don’t think our squad gives a fek.

Can't believe you let us get Cunningham he must've surely been your best player as been brilliant for us 

5 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Can't believe you let us get Cunningham he must've surely been your best player as been brilliant for us 

He clearly was one of the best ability wise but wasn’t consistent or effective enough. A lot of that is down to injuries and being surrounded by shite teammates for the majority of his time with us!

13 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Don’t know what it was about staying in the league above us, probably on better money, surrounded by competent team mates and a competent manager that made him want to leave our absolute shambles. 

I think January will be pretty busy. If there’s money there, I think the board will be pretty content for it to be spent. Regardless of their previous mistakes, I don’t think they’d get a guy like McCall in without backing him. Nor do I think McCall would take the job without such assurances.

As things stand at the minute, we could be 8 points behind Elgin come 5pm a week on Saturday (yes I know, we could overtake them depending on how things go) but we’ll need to absolutely on the ball with who we bring in.

On 19/11/2023 at 14:26, JIMMY CHOO said:

Peter grant playing in the middle of our defence yesterday.I knew that Ian mcall hasn’t watched any of our previous games this season.Peter grant is by far the worst player I have ever seen.If he continues to play it will keep getting worse.Gordon Thomson is a slippery character and I have no doubt he will get re-elected to the chair. The whole thing stinks and I predicted all this a year ago.

On 19/11/2023 at 14:42, SLClyde said:

Peter Grant isn’t even close to the worst player in that squad, utter nonsense. 

I’m glad someone said it.  Peter Grant’s huge limitation is his chronic lack of pace or turn thereof.  As a tackling/heading defender and organiser, I can only speak for his time with us last season, but he was pretty decent.

He was shown up for pace on occasion but, having not seen much of you other than the games between the sides so far, there are clearly much bigger issues in your squad than Peter Grant.  Of that there’s absolutely no doubt.