Clyde Season 23/24

51 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Can’t believe a player from Glasgow uni hasn’t made it. 

To be honest, many of the players that come into the league from University teams do not too badly at all - Anton Dowds, Craig Brown, Blair Lyons, George Stanger, Danny Denholm etc - it’s just down to being able to pick out a player, something that those that were in charge of recruitment at Clyde are absolutely incapable of doing.

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Not strictly true.. the club have said several times that it’s not the building of a stadium that is the main issue, end of the day even if Crownpoint came off we still had to build a stadium the council wouldn’t and there isn’t one already there. the club have said that funding for stadium was available. 

What important and vital is that there is a means of generating income 7 days a week not every second Saturday which is unsustainable in lower league, or any other for that matter. Crownpoint offered that opportunity as it had existing users and an athletic track etc. 

in answer to your question re alternative Council facilities I’m led to believe there may well be.

Revenue (turnover) is vanity but profit is sanity. 

1 4G pitch is about £750k, so £90k over 10 years.  A groundsman is probably £40k, a facility manager is probably the same.  I seriously strughle to understand this rush to believe small-scale teams like us are raking it in 7 days a week.  We don't have connections to sell matchday hospitality.   

Not sure what the point of the above post is, really. Having withered as a club over the past 20 years, with our only periods of relative success coming as a result of ruinous overspending/borrowing (and some periods of abject failure while going headlong into the red too!), surely it should be clear by now that any kind of material improvement to the club's current and future fortunes is nigh on impossible to enact while we remain tenants at the behest of, and generating profit for, other clubs/entities. Regardless of the costs associated with running your own stadium (a large chunk of which would be covered by grants, incidentally), stadium ownership and its associated benefits represent the primary reason why clubs of a similar core support and without sizeable external financial backing are consistently able to outspend and outperform us. We are sorely hampered in terms of attracting sponsorship and hospitality opportunities because we are an itinerant club, functioning away from its historical home and not part of a community; a look around the advertising hoardings of just about every club we come to face will show dozens of their local businesses. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can start fleshing out your hospitality and sponsorship opportunities when you are a visible force for good in your local community and producing a decent on-park product alongside that.

Business is business. Let's call it bias rather than corruption.

That being the case and bearing in mind we have to stay on good terms with the bhoys at GCC let's invite their most "businesslike" Councillor onto the Clyde board and only THEN make another application for a suitable site under their control.

The time to act was in the 60s when it was clear the fan base was being decanted to the likes of EK and the club were clearly no longer wanted by their landlords.

We are currently the diddy clubs' diddy club and unless there is some coherent gameplan and clear route out of this mess we may as well call it a day and join Third Lanark as another football sob story.

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Perhaps not a great solution but could you do a Clydebank and share with Thorniewood or the Tin Pail and do up their grounds? It sounds like the equivalent of going to Crown Point. 

Because nobody will have them on the terms Clyde want.

As a local resident, and some time user of the Crownpoint facility, I've been following this with some interest. 

I read the two submission bids and of the two the Clyde Charitable Foundation's was certainly the better. 

That said given who was backing Finnart's I never doubted what looks to be the apparent outcome. 

Additionally I think Finnart might well fit better in terms of a community organisation, already rooted in the community, running a facility for the benefit of the local community. The Clyde Foundation bid may well have been seen as a merely a route back to Glasgow for Clyde FC with the community aspect of secondary importance. 

If there is a credible Plan B then long term it may be no bad thing that Crownpoint won't happen for Clyde. 

The Partick Thistle Charitable Trust won a similar community asset transfer bid at Petershill Park a couple of years back securing a 25 year lease if my memory serves me correctly. 

It involves first and foremost running the facility as Clyde would have had to do at Crownpoint. Developing a stadium at the site would surely have been subject to planning applications and community consolations and, if granted, could have been years down the line. 

If the hockey stadium at Glasgow Green is a possible Plan B, with infrastructure already in place there that to me looks a far better option. 

I'm sure this news is disappointing but maybe longer term it's no bad thing. 

Edited by John MacLean

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

As a local resident, and some time user of the Crownpoint facility, I've been following this with some interest. 

I read the two submission bids and of the two the Clyde Charitable Foundation's was certainly the better. 

That said given who was backing Finnart's I never doubted what looks to be the apparent outcome. 

Additionally I think Finnart might well fit better in terms of a community organisation, already rooted in the community, running a facility for the benefit of the local community. The Clyde Foundation bid may well have been seen as a merely a route back to Glasgow for Clyde FC with the community aspect of secondary importance. 

If there is a credible Plan B then long term it may be no bad thing that Crownpoint won't happen for Clyde. 

The Partick Thistle Charitable Trust won a similar community asset transfer bid at Petershill Park a couple of years back securing a 25 year lease if my memory serves me correctly. 

It involves first and foremost running the facility as Clyde would have had to do at Crownpoint. Developing a stadium at the site would surely have been subject to planning applications and community consolations and, if granted, could have been years down the line. 

If the hockey stadium at Glasgow Green is a possible Plan B, with infrastructure already in place there that to me looks a far better option. 

I'm sure this news is disappointing but maybe longer term it's no bad thing. 

John maclean  is a very clever man unusual on this chat. Everything you said on you post makes complete sense. As a clyde fan i knew this was nothing more than  a pipe dream and i feel sorry for the fans who thought this could actually materialise. Gordon thomson is a joke of a chairman and he should step down and allow the club the chance to appoint a chairman with a the knowledge and experience to run our club. We are bottom of league 2 for a reason.

17 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

There we go. You were never a Glasgow club! So why would you ecpect to go to Glasgow to play?

The story goes that the halfway line on Shawfield was the boundary between Glasgow and South Lanarkshire, with one half in Glasgow and the other being in South Lanarkshire.

As a real football fan are you happy to see a club struggling???

Maybe it's just me, but the club (and this applies to all clubs) belongs to the fans, it has a place in their hearts and they invest their Saturdays (and during the week if needs be) to follow their club, Clyde maybe a so called "Wee" club (pun intended) but you know what they are our Wee Club with a proud history and a fantastic hardcore support.

As has been said there is a Plan B and hopefully this will come off.  

Edited by Uncle Albert

18 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

There we go. You were never a Glasgow club! So why would you ecpect to go to Glasgow to play?

The fact that we couldn’t take our place in Fairs cup back in late 60’s due to 2 Glasgow clubs also having qualified for Europe means that SFA etc considered us a Glasgow club too!

13 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

The fact that we couldn’t take our place in Fairs cup back in late 60’s due to 2 Glasgow clubs also having qualified for Europe means that SFA etc considered us a Glasgow club too!

You cannot expect someone who has spent much of his time amongst the hill tribes of Nepal to understand & appreciate West of Scotland geography and the changing local authority boundaries.