Clyde Season 23/24

47 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

I think the problem it highlights is that Duffy is still the guy signing the players. McLean could have all the coaching identity he likes but if the he and Duffy are not aligned we’ll be onto a hiding.

Was pretty much confirmed at the recent meeting JD is in control of player acquisition

BMcL is just the coach responsible for tactics, taking training and working with the players that he is given

The signing of Forbes and the identity what BMcL wants to do shows to me a major disconnect in the club

Wouldn’t surprise me if there is a massive implosion at the Club within the first quarter of season (particularly if we don’t get off to a positive start after the first round of games)

In fairness, I would expect the progression to be that McLean will be blooded into having more influence as far as recruitment goes and that Duffy is just lightening the initial load so that he can focus exclusively on the coaching side of things. Nothing would surprise me though.

I know Ross Lyon isn't well thought of, but he did a good job with us in L2. 

After a good first half of the season he was eventually overtake by Adam Corbett for the right back place but he also made a reasonable makeshift left back.

Perhaps ties in with what EF Gordon was saying about there now being quite a big gulf between L2 and L1. Although there are no standouts this year, there is longer dross. The last time (and before than) Clyde were in L2 there were always 2 or 3 garbage team, a few middle of the road then a few good teams. The Rovers side that finished bottom last year would have been comfortable mid table 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I know Ross Lyon isn't well thought of, but he did a good job with us in L2. 

After a good first half of the season he was eventually overtake by Adam Corbett for the right back place but he also made a reasonable makeshift left back.

Perhaps ties in with what EF Gordon was saying about there now being quite a big gulf between L2 and L1. Although there are no standouts this year, there is longer dross. The last time (and before than) Clyde were in L2 there were always 2 or 3 garbage team, a few middle of the road then a few good teams. The Rovers side that finished bottom last year would have been comfortable mid table 5 years ago.

Lyon was poor for is in League 2 when we had a good team and he was surrounded by far better players. And he was even worse in league, albeit playing against much better players and teams. It’s not ideal we’ve signed him up again. But then again who else could we have got in?!

Lyon didn't really play for us in League 2 though, and definitely not as a full back. 

For me, his biggest flaw (of many) is his inability to defend a crossfield ball. That will never be fixed, and is such a fundamental ability for a full back at this level.

4 hours ago, David W said:

Lyon didn't really play for us in League 2 though, and definitely not as a full back. 

For me, his biggest flaw (of many) is his inability to defend a crossfield ball. That will never be fixed, and is such a fundamental ability for a full back at this level.

19 sub appearances and 7 starts according to soccer base. Enough to judge he wasn’t good enough back then.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

2 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

19 sub appearances and 7 starts according to soccer base. Enough to judge he wasn’t good enough back then.

He made one start when we were in L2, and that was as a midfielder in the cup.

He made 15 appearances as a sub, for a total of 234 mins. (I think he also had a brief trialist appearance prior to that not listed). I'm pretty sure none of those were at full back either. He was always brought on in midfield.

He showed nothing to warrant being resigned, but it's also possible that he did okay at full back with Stenny at this level. 

1 hour ago, David W said:

He made one start when we were in L2, and that was as a midfielder in the cup.

He made 15 appearances as a sub, for a total of 234 mins. (I think he also had a brief trialist appearance prior to that not listed). I'm pretty sure none of those were at full back either. He was always brought on in midfield.

He showed nothing to warrant being resigned, but it's also possible that he did okay at full back with Stenny at this level. 

Fingers crossed he does that at the very least for us this season.

On 30/06/2023 at 10:39, Uncle Albert said:

A New Year (well 30th December) "derby" game against Stenny at Home, who knew Stenny were our local rivals (although in saying that I suppose geographically either them or Dumbarton are our nearest neighbours this year)??? :)  

I attended New Year "derbies" as a Meadowbank fan at Forfar and Stirling...

Stirling one was grim. On the old plastic at Annfield in a gale. Finished 0-0...

Made it along to the game after all. It looks to me that there are 5 trialists in the starting 11.

1. Leighfield 

2. Cuddihy 4. Trialist 5. Dunnachie 3. Craig

7. Scullion 6. Trialist 8. Trialist 11. Cameron

9. Trialist 10. Trialist

Edited by Brian Carrigan

25 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Made it along to the game after all. It looks to me that there are 5 trialists in the starting 11.

1. Leighfield 

2. Cuddihy 4. Trialist 5. Dunnachie 3. Craig

7. Scullion 6. Trialist 8. Trialist 11. Cameron

9. Trialist 10. Trialist

Any idea who the trialists are?

Edited by Clyde85