Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

Noticed that Flynn Duffy was released by Dundee United now that their season has ended. Wonder if DY will make a move for him over the summer to strengthen or to add competition to the Left Back position?

53 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Noticed that Flynn Duffy was released by Dundee United now that their season has ended. Wonder if DY will make a move for him over the summer to strengthen or to add competition to the Left Back position?

Do you think DY will be here in the summer? There was a fair bit of animosity towards him at Dumbarton and something clearly not right behind the scenes - can only see things getting worse if there's another poor performance this Saturday.

14 minutes ago, SA45 said:

Do you think DY will be here in the summer? There was a fair bit of animosity towards him at Dumbarton and something clearly not right behind the scenes - can only see things getting worse if there's another poor performance this Saturday.

i think he'll still be here. he's had 2 full seasons, one where he won the league and one where goal difference prevented us staying up automatically. Compared to our last few managers that's blinding........

i'd have had Flynn Duffy back in January. nowhere near as exciting as some of the loan signings we got but would have been competition for left back and also a solid left midfield option which might not have resulted in us being destroyed down that side so often. 

at the moment we are still in the middle of everything and emotions are high. things will calm down again. 

it's still not over yet either..............it's not the most promising postiion but there is still a chance. 

10 minutes ago, SA45 said:

Couldn't make the Dumbarton game and it's the first I have read of that actually. With the ink on the new contract hardly dry, then I suspect so. 

You say that something clearly isn't right behind the scenes, I don't think the players have stopped playing for him, however as I put in this thread a few pages back, he does need to take the blame on being overly loyal to players that have failed to perform week in week out, and for a season of poor recruitment (would anyone be fussed if any of this seasons signings left the club?). 

If the board were to now remove him, then I would be disappointed in them. This season has not ended in the way we wanted, or the way we suspected it would after the first half of it, however I do think Darren has bought himself time and the opportunity to turn it around. I'm friends with someone who played under Darren at Albion Rovers and when he signed up most of KR's squad that summer, this player told me that Darren's loyalty was close to being his undoing at Albion Rovers but the East Fife job came up and he went, it was his undoing at East Fife "and I hope he doesn't do the same with you".................

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Couldn't make the Dumbarton game and it's the first I have read of that actually. With the ink on the new contract hardly dry, then I suspect so. 

You say that something clearly isn't right behind the scenes, I don't think the players have stopped playing for him, however as I put in this thread a few pages back, he does need to take the blame on being overly loyal to players that have failed to perform week in week out, and for a season of poor recruitment (would anyone be fussed if any of this seasons signings left the club?). 

If the board were to now remove him, then I would be disappointed in them. This season has not ended in the way we wanted, or the way we suspected it would after the first half of it, however I do think Darren has bought himself time and the opportunity to turn it around. I'm friends with someone who played under Darren at Albion Rovers and when he signed up most of KR's squad that summer, this player told me that Darren's loyalty was close to being his undoing at Albion Rovers but the East Fife job came up and he went, it was his undoing at East Fife "and I hope he doesn't do the same with you".................

I'll wait to see what happens on Saturday. Yes, he's better than previous manager's but the whole point of last season was to improve and stay up. The team played like strangers on Tuesday and every part of the side had a weakness. If we do stay up he will have to be ruthless as at least half the team needs cleared out. Comparing Alloa's upturn in appointing Andy Graham may be wishful thinking and I'm not sure if I trust "the board" to make a better appointment.

Edited by SA45

I wouldn't say I watched a Stirling team who had chucked playing for their manager on Tuesday. If that were the case you would've folded after our early goal but you fought back into the game and there was no lack of effort from your side. I did think the tactics were poor but I don't blame any manager taking one look at our pitch and thinking "we need to go direct today". We definitely have the upper hand right now but Stirling scoring the first goal on Saturday swings the tie. It really is all to play for despite some of the gloom amongst your fanbase. 

If we go down and Spartans end up going up, then next season we're in a lower division than Annan, Spartans, and Stenhousemuir. We'd be as well just chucking it there and then. 

42 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

If we go down and Spartans end up going up, then next season we're in a lower division than Annan, Spartans, and Stenhousemuir. We'd be as well just chucking it there and then. 

You are where you deserve to be - no divine rights in football.

On 09/05/2024 at 09:29, BB_Bino said:

I don't think the players have stopped playing for him, however as I put in this thread a few pages back, he does need to take the blame on being overly loyal to players that have failed to perform week in week out, and for a season of poor recruitment. 

… I'm friends with someone who played under Darren at Albion Rovers and when he signed up most of KR's squad that summer, this player told me that Darren's loyalty was close to being his undoing at Albion Rovers but the East Fife job came up and he went, it was his undoing at East Fife "and I hope he doesn't do the same with you"

I would 100% agree with these points. However, it’s pretty common for teams that get promoted to be loyal to the players who got you there. More importantly, I think it’s a lot harder to have a large turnover in players that fans and probably the manager himself would like to see. This probably leads to more better the devil you know type of re-signings.

Regardless, if Stirling do go down this season I believe that Darren would be the right manager to lead a promotion challenge next season. However, he will need to build his Stirling 2.0 squad or else a lot of fans won’t give him a chance.

On 09/05/2024 at 09:29, BB_Bino said:

Our first half of the season was 1 point poorer than the second,  19 points to 20. We weren't in a good position half way through the season, signs were on the wall with only 5 points in Q 2,  then an upturn in Q 3 and a further drop off in the last quarter with 8 points. 

The side didn't have appear to a collective self belief if things weren't going for them in games and there weren't enough leaders on the park to get them pulling together and haul themselves back into games. Add that to loss of 7 points to last 2 minutes/injury time goals through lack of concentration we ended up among the strugglers.

It may need stealing Brian Clough's quote and DY telling the team collectively that they're all Pele, to get their heads in the right place tomorrow and for next week if it works.

22 hours ago, the philosopher said:

You are where you deserve to be - no divine rights in football.

We are absolutely where we deserve to be. If we manage to somehow stay up, it's only because Edinburgh were the worst L1 side in the division's history. 

1 hour ago, StewartyMac said:

If we manage to somehow stay up, it's only because Edinburgh were the worst L1 side in the division's history. 

Yip, and they even took that away from us….who could forget that dreadful Greig McDonald/Stuart McLaren side!!

Welcome to hopefully not the last day of our season.

Seems a nice day to try and extend it by a week..

I'm hopeful  but not exactly optimistic.

Cmon the binos....prove me wrong.

Here we go again...the rollercoaster of being a bino...don't know if i feel sick or just ill with nerves 

C'mon the bino's...let's get together & get result we need today 💪 🇵🇪