Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

Whilst thinking about potential pre season fixtures, I got thinking of the Stirlingshire Cup and my own memories of the competition. 

I'm assuming there is just zero appetite to bring this back in any shape for the clubs? Would have been a nice pre season tournament.

Perhaps a revamped one with some additional teams. Dunipace were an original participant of the cup and now back in the pyramid. Clydebank too I'm sure were involved for a while. Stirling Uni would make a sensible addition too.

I tried to look for details on the Stirlingshire FA but up to date details aren't easy to find, maybe not even going anymore. I actually think Dumbarton might be the chairs of the FA for some reason. Maybe @Jan Vojáček will know?

Edit; pyramid teams who are/were in Stirlingshire.

Stirling Albion

Falkirk 

Alloa Athletic 

Stenhousmuir 

East Stirlingshire 

Dumbarton 

Stirling University 

Dunipace 

Bo'ness? (Not sure where boundary stretched to)

Sauchie

Camelon 

Clydebank

Must be missing a ton of clubs?

Edited by Quentin Taranbino

11 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Also well done to everyone involved in the Ross McGeachie testimonial stuff.

The dinner last night looked to be a great success.

Good to see Ross's testimonial night went so well.He deserved that big turnout.Great work by the organizers

5 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Whilst thinking about potential pre season fixtures, I got thinking of the Stirlingshire Cup and my own memories of the competition. 

I'm assuming there is just zero appetite to bring this back in any shape for the clubs? Would have been a nice pre season tournament.

Perhaps a revamped one with some additional teams. Dunipace were an original participant of the cup and now back in the pyramid. Clydebank too I'm sure were involved for a while. Stirling Uni would make a sensible addition too.

I tried to look for details on the Stirlingshire FA but up to date details aren't easy to find, maybe not even going anymore. I actually think Dumbarton might be the chairs of the FA for some reason. Maybe @Jan Vojáček will know?

I'm afraid I don't have a clue. I'd actually totally forgotten about the Stirlingshire Cup, but I always quite enjoyed it. I'd agree on opening it up a bit too, could be a nice wee tournament for a fringe side with most of us having U20s teams again now.

Pretty sure Bo'ness and Linlithgow are both classed as East Lothian so it would really be pushing it to class them as Stirlingshire even though they are only half an hour from Stirling. 

Mind you, as alluded to earlier both Clydebank and Dumbarton participated regularly in it when I was younger and its difficult, by any stretch of the imagination to class either of those as Stirlingshire, only final I ever watched was seeing Stirling Albion beat Clydebank at the long gone and sadly missed Kilbowie, think it would have been 91 or 92 as Dougie Lawrie was the Albion skipper who lifted the trophy. 

23 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Also well done to everyone involved in the Ross McGeachie testimonial stuff.

The dinner last night looked to be a great success.

It was a fantastic night. The 2 quest speakers (Jimmy Nicholl and Willie Young) were great entertainment and Stewart Taylor was a fantastic compere. Huge credit to all those involved in creating a magical night. 

11 hours ago, Bailey1972 said:

It was a fantastic night. The 2 quest speakers (Jimmy Nicholl and Willie Young) were great entertainment and Stewart Taylor was a fantastic compere. Huge credit to all those involved in creating a magical night. 

Would just like to second this. Really enjoyable evening....although I do think Jimmy Nicholl was toning it down a bit for the audience, I have to say haha. Think it's fair to say that if anybody deserves this then it's Ross, a very humble guy with a huge heart.

On 11/06/2023 at 07:29, Quentin Taranbino said:

Edit; pyramid teams who are/were in Stirlingshire.

Stirling Albion

Falkirk 

Alloa Athletic 

Stenhousmuir 

East Stirlingshire 

Dumbarton 

Stirling University 

Dunipace 

Bo'ness? (Not sure where boundary stretched to)

Sauchie

Camelon 

Clydebank

Must be missing a ton of clubs?

Should be brought back for at least the U20's and non-league first teams (or U20's if they wish).

Its a cracking trophy as well.

16 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Pretty sure Bo'ness and Linlithgow are both classed as East Lothian so it would really be pushing it to class them as Stirlingshire even though they are only half an hour from Stirling. 

Mind you, as alluded to earlier both Clydebank and Dumbarton participated regularly in it when I was younger and its difficult, by any stretch of the imagination to class either of those as Stirlingshire, only final I ever watched was seeing Stirling Albion beat Clydebank at the long gone and sadly missed Kilbowie, think it would have been 91 or 92 as Dougie Lawrie was the Albion skipper who lifted the trophy. 

West Lothian.

2 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I see Mason Hancock has been released by Aberdeen. I suspect he may have a few full time offers but he loved his time here I believe.

Wonder if injuries have hampered him a bit? Absolute baller that I would love to have back but expect him to rock up at a QoS or Cove type club.

51 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Wonder if injuries have hampered him a bit? Absolute baller that I would love to have back but expect him to rock up at a QoS or Cove type club.

I thought we'd be very interested in Mason and we would have been enquiring about him as there would be a high chance he would be released from Aberdeen. Predominately a LB? A full time contract and he gets to stay in the city might lure him to us or he could be keen for a fresh start somewhere else. We did sign Luke Strachan last week, unsure if he'll be competition for places, a backup or a regular. He is also a LB but we'll need options and players with versatility.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

15 hours ago, unitedbino said:

I'd quite like to be able to renew my season ticket at some point soon...

Can’t believe the players are back in for pre-season training and nothing (other than they will be digital) has been said about season tickets going on sale or even how much they’ll be. Staggering.

This time of year, all supporters want to know is who is coming in and leaving, how much season tickets will cost and what kits will be worn, so far we are in the dark about the last 2.

With the Away strip being 2 years old and being macron, I would be expecting that to change

Totally agree.

It felt like everything came to a standstill when the season ended.

It's not just the lack of action but the total absence of communication.

Pre season training started and we don't know when season tickets go on sale or how much they will be.

I really feel like the club have failed to capitalise on the success. Winning a league is  about a once a decade event and should be taken advantage of.