Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

1 hour ago, RubyTuesday said:

Speaking as a fan of a relegated club renting a council facility - Forthbank is like the Nou Camp compared to Meadowbank. 

Agree with that, not looking forward to us playing at Meadowbank, as someone that goes to every game our 2nd game there 2 seasons ago was the first i did not attend in probably 5 years. Went to the 1st game there and that was enough did not go back.

Posted (edited)

The website is down, but it would appear from a link on the social media channels that Darren Young is no longer our manager and has stepped down!!

If this is indeed the case, then I would like to thank Darren for all the work he has put in over the past 2 and a half seasons and thank him for some of the best memories during the course of the promotion winning season, and I wish him all the best for whatever the future brings for him.

Edited by BB_Bino

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

IMG_2094.jpeg

Thanks Darren & James. Some good times but something not right the last 6 months and time for a change. Let's go! Again.

Oh aye, are the people who gave him an extended contract going to be headhunting the new manager 🤦‍♂️

Edited by SA45

It is not clear from that statement if he walked or was pushed.  I suspect the former since it would cost SAFC a sizeable sum to dispense with his services, given his recent contract extension.

I too wish to thank him and James for their services and wish them well for the future.

No obvious replacement(s) spring to mind.

Maybe he resigned or maybe the situation behind the scenes was unworkable, but if neither of these were the case then I would have kept him on. From the outside I always felt like East Fife made a mistake letting him go and this would be similar. Still… it’s always exciting appointing a new manager!

4 minutes ago, Red Watch said:

It is not clear from that statement if he walked or was pushed.  I suspect the former since it would cost SAFC a sizeable sum to dispense with his services, given his recent contract extension.

I too wish to thank him and James for their services and wish them well for the future.

Someone who could get a better tune out these players? Wildcard choice Chris Geddes (Uni)?

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’d be shocked if he’s just walked away when he had 2 and half years left on his contract.

He wouldn't get full settlement, possibly 3 months. He's in full-time employment elsewhere so don't think it was a financial issue.

12 minutes ago, Red Watch said:

Likewise. However whoever gets the job, I hope they are attack minded, watching boring defensive, must not lose football in the senior league cesspit gives me the fear.

18 minutes ago, SA45 said:

He wouldn't get full settlement, possibly 3 months. He's in full-time employment elsewhere so don't think it was a financial issue.

Exactly. Why would you walk away when you can get 3 months wages out of the club instead? Unless of course he’s stepping away from management/has something else lined up. 

He could have been sacked, he could have walked or the likelihood is somewhere in the middle which is always an option that alot of people forget about. Mutual termination isn't just a term for Football Manager. He could have been informed about the budget cuts for next season, said that he needed more money, board refused and they just agreed to go their separate ways. He could have told them that he isn't enjoying it here anymore and board agreed and they have mutually agreed a settlement and departed. Not everything is mega cut throat.

Regardless of how it happened, it's happened now and we move forward.

If Young was happy to stay and the board have indeed sacked him then it's a risky move and not one I'm sure I would agree with. He has made some big mistakes this season but I didn't really see many people seriously call for his head, even after relegation was confirmed. I think the majority of supporters seem to have been mildly confident he was the correct man for the job (albeit alot of the goodwill he had previously built up had been hacked at this season). The lack of recruitment last summer was the big problem, I think we only made two signings for the step up. Whilst he tried to rectify this from January and the coming months, it was too late really by then.

Looking at any positives - it's been done rapidly so I assume decisions on contracts and player recruitment will be up to the new boss and a chance to really clear the deadwood. As others have said, Youngs loyalty to his players might have continued into next season.

I'm hoping appointment of a new manager is done and dusted in the next couple of weeks. I suspect we may miss out on alot of potential signings/targets from out of contract players over the next few weeks.

43 minutes ago, SA45 said:

Oh aye, are the people who gave him an extended contract going to be headhunting the new manager 🤦‍♂️

Hindsight. The board had a decision to make at that time and, at that time, extending his contract was the right decision.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

I heard a rumour on Saturday that our General Manager might be causing trouble behind the scenes as well......to who?? Jim McAllister, 

it's still bloody annoying when we're a fan run club that fails to communicate with the fans, except to sell hospitality tables.

The Trust have gone back to radio silence as well....where's their transparency?? Where are the minutes of the recent AGM, as an example??

First point.  If you call being bawled at, sworn at and intimidated causing trouble, then trouble there was and there's more than one board the culprit for that could have come from.  

Second point.  We are not a fan run club. We are a fan owned club. Where the biggest shareholders  now call the shots. The biggest shareholder is your chairman, just like a privately owned club.  You did have a vote on all appointments, but of course no other candidates were permitted.  Democracy Mugabe style.

Third point.  Get used to it.  There is no engine for change and no interest in one, not even from me. It is what it is  and heigh ho on we go. 

On Darren, I am sorry to see him go.  He could have acknowledged some responsibility for this season's failure, but I wouldn't have let him go, pushed him out, whatever the hell actually happened here?  Best to just move on  and concentrate on the football.  Finally, Carrick has been carrying an injury for months. The rest should help him back to form.

3 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

He could have been sacked, he could have walked or the likelihood is somewhere in the middle which is always an option that alot of people forget about. Mutual termination isn't just a term for Football Manager. He could have been informed about the budget cuts for next season, said that he needed more money, board refused and they just agreed to go their separate ways. He could have told them that he isn't enjoying it here anymore and board agreed and they have mutually agreed a settlement and departed. Not everything is mega cut throat.

Regardless of how it happened, it's happened now and we move forward.

If Young was happy to stay and the board have indeed sacked him then it's a risky move and not one I'm sure I would agree with. He has made some big mistakes this season but I didn't really see many people seriously call for his head, even after relegation was confirmed. I think the majority of supporters seem to have been mildly confident he was the correct man for the job (albeit alot of the goodwill he had previously built up had been hacked at this season). The lack of recruitment last summer was the big problem, I think we only made two signings for the step up. Whilst he tried to rectify this from January and the coming months, it was too late really by then.

Looking at any positives - it's been done rapidly so I assume decisions on contracts and player recruitment will be up to the new boss and a chance to really clear the deadwood. As others have said, Youngs loyalty to his players might have continued into next season.

I'm hoping appointment of a new manager is done and dusted in the next couple of weeks. I suspect we may miss out on alot of potential signings/targets from out of contract players over the next few weeks.

i agree, if this is a sacking then its a huge call. i'd probably have given him some more time. something more mutual seems more likely. 

it was the lack of summer recruitment.  January was too late to sort it out. 

i wish him well and will always be grateful for last season.

2 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Second point.  We are not a fan run club. We are a fan owned club. Where the biggest shareholders  now call the shots. 

The biggest shareholder calls the shots. The other shareholders have very little/no say. 

I would have kept Darren Young personally. He has had previous success at League 2 level but I can understand the reasoning for change as well. I just hope it’s not one we regret. I wish him well and I’m sure he will be a success at the next club he manages. 

9 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Finally, Carrick has been carrying an injury for months. The rest should help him back to form.

that doesn't surprise me one bit. he's looked miles off his usual self lately. 

which begs the question.......should he even have been playing at all? 

loyalty is great, as is empowering your senior players but sometimes the decision about whether a player is fit enough to play needs to be taken out of their hands. 

was a half fit Carrick a better option than another player who was fully fit? 

obviously we will never know. 

16 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Just me or a bit of a lazy and shite statement? Some recognition on his achievements would have been nice. 

Yep that was some achievement, turning a winning, scoring , fighting team into losers, his hump it up to the smallest men on the park will be sorely missed. He also achieved getting a new two year contract that he’ll get paid in full now that he’s been sacked. There goes some of next years players wages budget