Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

Just now, Red Watch said:

I agree.  Any idea why the Uni went by the board?

None at all, but valuable experience for film and media students, free help for us and they have the use of the department's editing equipment. I thought it was a win win.

2 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Then we had the coup, where the writer of this statement knows damn well they inherited a bank balance of just over 450k. I wonder what that bank balance is 2 years on? 

The club's estimate of its bank balance at 31 May 2024 is £209k.

1 minute ago, Red Watch said:

The club's estimate of its bank balance at 31 May 2024 is £209k.

Appreciated, but slow down. I'm old and still recovering from you and I agreeing on something.  Sudden shocks can be fatal at my age.

4 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Appreciated, but slow down. I'm old and still recovering from you and I agreeing on something.  Sudden shocks can be fatal at my age.

Yeah,  take it easy. I don't want your welfare (or lack of it) on my conscience.  Have a stiff malt!

Just now, Red Watch said:

Yeah,  take it easy. I don't want your welfare (or lack of it) on my conscience.  Have a stiff malt!

I'll settle for a cuppa as my kidneys are among the few parts still working well.

Today's statement was a lot to digest. Pleased that the club has held up its hands regarding communication, website, social media, match highlights. Obviously no guarantee that things will actually improve (wasn't the new site meant to be ready for the start of THIS season?), but recognising how far behind in these areas is a positive first step.

The most interesting part, which I wasn't expecting, was the revelation that we're talking to the council about taking over Forthbank. Not owning our own stadium limits what we can achieve as a club. Also hugely positive to hear the surrounding astroturf pitches are part of the discussions. Anything we can get to generate regular, reliable revenue would be huge for the future of the club.

No idea if talks over Forthbank will amount to anything, but I'm at least encouraged the club has the ambition to even explore that as an option.

If only they would actually communicate with us more frequently, we might understand their decision-making a bit better!

14 hours ago, unitedbino said:

The most interesting part, which I wasn't expecting, was the revelation that we're talking to the council about taking over Forthbank.

I too thought it was interesting.

However there was not even the vaguest detail of how they intended to pay for it. It would be great to have a revenue generating asset but if that's what it is then it isn't going to be given away.

Posted (edited)

Anyone know how much the stadium cost to build back in the early 90s? I tried to look for articles online about the opening but couldn't see how much it cost the council 

Just do a private agreement with the council say 5k a month for 50 years with the option of early overpayments. Bish bash bosh, 3m stadium done and dusted.

Edited by Quentin Taranbino

I'm probably reading too much into the statement, but perhaps notable the wording was "taking over" and not "buying."

I have no idea how these things work, but maybe a revenue-sharing agreement over a number of years? No upfront cost? I dunno.

54 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

I'm probably reading too much into the statement, but perhaps notable the wording was "taking over" and not "buying."

I have no idea how these things work, but maybe a revenue-sharing agreement over a number of years? No upfront cost? I dunno.

The only way I see that happening is if the council wants to cut loose the repair and maintenance costs on the stadium. It's not just the stadium, it's the land it sits on that has the value. Talk is cheap and I'm sceptical, but if you don't ask you don't get.

22 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

I too thought it was interesting.

However there was not even the vaguest detail of how they intended to pay for it. It would be great to have a revenue generating asset but if that's what it is then it isn't going to be given away.

Perhaps DY could act on our behave re purchase?

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2024 at 15:27, unitedbino said:

There are a lot of these arrangements in Dfs & Galloway. We've taken over two local leisure facilities in the area from the Council. The KGV Leisure Complex in Dumfries and the Lochmaben Community Centre. We have a Service Level Agreement with the Council whereby we take over running the facility entirely for a period of years. We pay the staffing and repairs, we keep all the income. Certain schools usage in daytime hours to be provided free. They do the same with Greystone Rovers and facilities at Dfs High School and with Heston Rovers and facilities at St Joseph's College.

Chances are you're looking at something similar.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 hours ago, Dumb yatt said:

Perhaps DY could act on our behave re purchase?

Maybe the finders fee was in his contract as a golden handshake.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There are a lot of these arrangements in Dfs & Galloway. We've taken over two local leisure facilities in the area from the Council. The KGV Leisure Complex in Dumfries and the Lochmaben Community Centre. We have a Service Level Agreement with the Council whereby we take over running the facility entirely for a period if years. We pay the staffing and repairs, we keep all the income. Certain schools usage in daytime hours to be provided free. They do the same with Greystone Rovers and facilities at Dfs High School and with Heston Rovers and facilities at St Joseph's College.

Chances are you're looking at something similar.

This makes more sense of it.  Not taking over actual ownership, but responsibility for running expenses and repairs in return for some increase in income generation.  Would need to see realistic figures on projected costs  against income to make a judgement.

On 13/05/2024 at 14:38, WC Boggs said:

First point.  If you call being bawled at, sworn at and intimidated causing trouble, then trouble there was 

I am retracting this.  What I was told, I now know not to be true.  What did occur was unacceptable behaviour being called out by someone with every right to call it out.  If it's wrong and that was, admit it.

• BB_Bino changed the title to Stirling Albion Season 23/24 Onwards Thread

So we are 10 days since relegation, a bit of time has passed and there has been a chance to reflect on the season.

My thoughts now are that I wish the club had done the same.

The more I think about it, Darren Young’s sacking a week ago seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction.  We narrowly failed to stay in League One. Another goal in certain games would have done it. We had a manager and squad who only one year previously had won league 2. I did want to see some evolution of the squad, just as I did last year but I didn’t think we were ripe for a full scale rebuild.

When the decision was announced, I was initially disappointed but decided that there must be a plan in place. Relegation must have been a possibility that had been considered. Then the next thing, an ad for first time manager appears on the website.

Ok, so no plan then…………..

So how did we get here?

We started with a good league 2 squad for a season in league 1. Morale was high after the championship winning season and a decent league cup campaign. August continued in the same vein with 3 wins and a solitary league defeat. With the defeat being away to Falkirk after a sapping Friday night encounter with Aberdeen in the cup, this seemed entirely excusable. The Aberdeen cup tie was a more than decent performance too and overall August seemed to be a success.

September began ok with a home draw against Hamilton. Probably my favourite game of the season to be honest. Hamilton took an early 2-0 lead and it looked for a while like it might be a rout. Before half time we score a great team goal with at least 12 passes made without the opposition touching the ball. Second half we score another great goal to equalise which is definitely my favourite moment of the season. Currie rolls it out to Geeks who plays it up the channel for Carrick. He controls it nicely who squares it to Moore who beats two men to the byeline and puts in an absolute peach of a cross that Kyle Banner meets at the back post. Right in front of us all on the terracing. Magic.

Blair Currie saves a last minute penalty to get us the point.

At this point, the season is still going ok but little did I know that this was literally the high point. We would never be higher in the league and would spend the rest of the season sliding down the table. 10 points from 5 games.

The rest of the season – 29 points from 33 games.

The very next game was a 3-0 defeat to Annan (oh and there’s that 6 goal difference between us at the end of the season).  The season never recovered. We could only manage a home draw against Cove at the end of September when we really should have won. The warning signs were really starting to appear.

The not taking chances and the giving up of silly goals (and often the first goal) were issues last season too. The fact they kept overcoming them seemed to build a confidence and resilience in the team that they’d always be able to do it. Concede a goal……it’s ok. We’ll score more. Miss a chance, it’s ok, we’ll make more. By and large last season it worked but against better teams it just didn’t translate. The missed chances and defensive slackness did cost us. The confidence that had built up ebbed away and with it the performances.

My frustration is that it all could have worked. We just needed a few better players. We didn’t really hit on any of our loan players this year compared to last and certainly compared to the rest of the division.

To come so close is gutting but I don’t think it should have resulted in the gutting of an entire management team and squad.

A bit of an outsiders take, but I watched a couple Bino's games last season, and even though you won the league, I thought you had a mediocre league 2 defence at best.  I assumed that when you got promoted, you would bring in an entirely new defence.

It seems you didn't though, and I wonder how much your team's attacking instincts were stunted by having to protect that terrible defence.  I didnt see Stirling as often this season, but what I saw was still a league 2 defence.

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

A bit of an outsiders take, but I watched a couple Bino's games last season, and even though you won the league, I thought you had a mediocre league 2 defence at best.  I assumed that when you got promoted, you would bring in an entirely new defence.

It seems you didn't though, and I wonder how much your team's attacking instincts were stunted by having to protect that terrible defence.  I didnt see Stirling as often this season, but what I saw was still a league 2 defence.

It absolutely was an average league 2 defence and it gave me the fear before the season even started.

Losing our best defensive midfielder in Ross Davidson early in the season didn't help either.

Blair Currie has moved to Cumnock. New manager (Stephen Swift) has been busy in the transfer market this week.

On googling him, I see he signed a contract with Albion until end of 2024/25. What changed? I can’t imagine Cumnock outbidding Stirling for a player, unless he accepts payment in onion pies.