Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

16 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Does it really merit talking about FFS... It will quite rightly never happen,   move forward and look forward to the season....

The discussion regarding the post is more so about the the absolute warmer on Facebook rather than the inconceivable signing of Goodwillie

9 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

There was a separate one the David made which has 6grand on it thst the club posted during the week

I’d completely missed that. 

Link to David Hutton’s page below and great to see it doing so well. 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/huttsafc?utm_medium=email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=20230628_&fbclid=IwAR1fz4EryxuTE7HGSVU9SZk3lUN2R2t2XAr1jf2dPbhuGDFlt5SW9u-f4kQ_aem_AeocVUpPQuyOmsVNR5B9d-cZzGklTiDkjv_6YyoeH16KmjeWKMYOnnTHRbC8etNOze0

35 minutes ago, Girth said:

Are Airdrie expected to do well this season!?

As said above, 8th would be a great result this season. I genuinely suspect the next couple of signings will be significant in whether that is a doable realistic prospect or a real stretch.

On 27/06/2023 at 21:39, oneteaminglasgow said:

8FFFBDC6-A416-45E6-8262-75EABB450BEF.thumb.jpeg.3edd6b415ffac111931736015341667a.jpeg

Aye, sound mate.

In any case, I think it’s pretty clear that we’d be a bigger draw for players than Airdrie in most cases. We’re an established second tier club, with some interludes into the top flight, get bigger crowds, get more exposure and can pay bigger wages. That doesn’t mean that literally every single player would choose us over Airdrie though, and fair play to McGill if he had turned us down to stay with yous. 

I don’t mind partick fans giving it the big un. Every club has their place in the food chain. Ours is currently below partick and theirs is below the likes of Dundee and rose county. Reality is that most players would pick partick over airdrie.

That being said, I think we are being ran sustainably which I don’t think can be said for partick. I’d be happy with 8th. To be honest, I’d be happy with 9th and scraping the play offs if it meant staying in the championship. Only issue is that airdrie fans can be quite fickle so if we are struggling then I can’t see them coming out to support the team in large numbers 

11 hours ago, Girth said:

Are Airdrie expected to do well this season!?

Hard to know what to realistically expect or aim for until all squads are complete. I'm happy to have kept the core of last season's team but there's no doubting we still need some Championship quality/experienced additions across the park. As others have said, the aim at least initially has to be 8th which I would be happy with. If we do add some known quality that compares positively or better than other teams' then we can maybe start to aim a bit higher. But aye, top 8 please and thank you!

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

Hard to know what to realistically expect or aim for until all squads are complete. I'm happy to have kept the core of last season's team but there's no doubting we still need some Championship quality/experienced additions across the park. As others have said, the aim at least initially has to be 8th which I would be happy with. If we do add some known quality that compares positively or better than other teams' then we can maybe start to aim a bit higher. But aye, top 8 please and thank you!

Do you think we have a recruitment issue,  last summer we gave Rhys the benefit of the doubt, when we ended up with 16 players at the end of the window,  January we added, but to be honest they didn't really contribute that much Orr impress..

Hoping we are learning from our mistakes,   Last seasons war cry was Quality Loanees never materialised,  this season different tact Quality additions......  Still to arrive....plenty time left , but surely there must be a concern given our previous transfer windows....

54 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Do you think we have a recruitment issue,  last summer we gave Rhys the benefit of the doubt, when we ended up with 16 players at the end of the window,  January we added, but to be honest they didn't really contribute that much Orr impress..

Hoping we are learning from our mistakes,   Last seasons war cry was Quality Loanees never materialised,  this season different tact Quality additions......  Still to arrive....plenty time left , but surely there must be a concern given our previous transfer windows....

Most definitely, but the budget drives the recruitment.

It might be slightly easier this season than last as the budget has no doubt increased but we're still in the bottom tier of full time clubs. We've seen the difference that "quality" players like McInroy & Turner can make so if it means we have to push the boat out a little then that will no doubt define our season.

All joking aside id take 8th right now and be happy with that. 

On recruitment,  I think we get carried away a bit and forget players actually have to want to sign for us and then we actually have to be able to pay more than others. I do think our budget will be bigger this year which will be good , but its probably still less than most in the league. 

We're still a left back and CB short from having an "ok" team that would hopefully keep us up. Add anything else on top of that and I'd be happy. I don't want us to go away and spew wages at has beens and risk the sustainability of the club. 

I think the hibs boys that are in are here to play, and from what I've heard from a few hibs boys I know they will be a good addition. 

22 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

All joking aside id take 8th right now and be happy with that. 

On recruitment,  I think we get carried away a bit and forget players actually have to want to sign for us and then we actually have to be able to pay more than others. I do think our budget will be bigger this year which will be good , but its probably still less than most in the league. 

We're still a left back and CB short from having an "ok" team that would hopefully keep us up. Add anything else on top of that and I'd be happy. I don't want us to go away and spew wages at has beens and risk the sustainability of the club. 

I think the hibs boys that are in are here to play, and from what I've heard from a few hibs boys I know they will be a good addition. 

Still think we need another couple of midfielders for the starting XI also but otherwise happy enough with the presumed starters. Need a proper holding midfielder IMO and I'd like another attacking or more box-to-box type. Otherwise we're relying on one of Devenny, Aiken and Telfer to play and be good every week. Which could happen but Telfer has never really performed that consistently anywhere, Devenny is a cracking prospect but still raw and Aiken is a complete unknown. 

Hopefully Aiken and O'Connor turn out to be gems.

2 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Still think we need another couple of midfielders for the starting XI also but otherwise happy enough with the presumed starters. Need a proper holding midfielder IMO and I'd like another attacking or more box-to-box type. Otherwise we're relying on one of Devenny, Aiken and Telfer to play and be good every week. Which could happen but Telfer has never really performed that consistently anywhere, Devenny is a cracking prospect but still raw and Aiken is a complete unknown. 

Hopefully Aiken and O'Connor turn out to be gems.

Aye I'm hopeful they will be. First message I got from a hibbee was that they would be comfortable starters regardless of what league we ended up in. 

Probably do need a another midfielder, but that left back position gives me the fear , and a CB with a bit of pace would be my priority. 

Just now, cb_diamond said:

Have we actually signed/resigned anyone not represented by Jackie Mac yet? The reliance on one not very big or quality laden agency is a huge concern for me.

There is a few boys in the squad not represented by him, Fordyce, Gallagher, Watson Ballantyne etc, but yeah your right slight concern that we seem to be relying a lot on his guys to come in.