Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Slightly different slant here, with recruitment of quality players or any players in fact a major issue this close season,   one of our most talented players Justin Devenney is in cold storage for his apparent move to Crystal Palace which is all happening very slowly,  worth our squad issues and massive games coming up do we play Justin as he is an Airdrie player and picking up a wage etc, I am not aware of Any Transfer request being put in, so is available for selection..

Surely helping to get points early in the season pars, Thistle, ICT and the big cup tie against Ross county (potential big money if we win),  would that not be more beneficial to the club than 40k ( my estimate of his value with 10 months left on his deal, and can sign for free in January for anybody,   remember Bowie of Raith signed for Fulham for 150k with 2  and a half years left on his deal a couple of years back). If Justin plays well he will get his move, doing nothing helps nobody...

Thoughts..

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Witherspoon and Fletcher signed for Pars, no panic till 3oclock anyway ,

According to the board tonight, the Fletcher rumour is exactly that. There's nothing in it.

With Wotherspoon we're just waiting for him to agree on the deal offered. They think a signing could happen tomorrow(so guessing Wotherspoon but might be someone out the blue) that one is about it before Saturday.

15 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Hutton isn’t playing on Saturday 

He might be now, I believe we were sorted this morning with a goalkeeper from hibs but there 1st and 2nd choice got injured tonight🤣

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Slightly different slant here, with recruitment of quality players or any players in fact a major issue this close season,   one of our most talented players Justin Devenney is in cold storage for his apparent move to Crystal Palace which is all happening very slowly,  worth our squad issues and massive games coming up do we play Justin as he is an Airdrie player and picking up a wage etc, I am not aware of Any Transfer request being put in, so is available for selection..

Surely helping to get points early in the season pars, Thistle, ICT and the big cup tie against Ross county (potential big money if we win),  would that not be more beneficial to the club than 40k ( my estimate of his value with 10 months left on his deal, and can sign for free in January for anybody,   remember Bowie of Raith signed for Fulham for 150k with 2  and a half years left on his deal a couple of years back). If Justin plays well he will get his move, doing nothing helps nobody...

Thoughts..

If he is/was leaving then it may have been more a case of McCabe giving minutes to guys like Aiken and McMaster to get them up to speed for the league, rather than keeping Devenney in cotton wool. Wouldn't have been much point in playing Devenney in all the games and then having to play someone else in the league when he left who'd barely played. Seems strange to have him on the bench at all if you're protecting an asset.

I agree overall that the money we'll get for him isn't that significant compared to what we have won through progressing in the cup, which is why it seems a bit excessive if we were protecting him.

35 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

He might be now, I believe we were sorted this morning with a goalkeeper from hibs but there 1st and 2nd choice got injured tonight🤣

If that was the case then they'll not be letting him go. I've been as supportive as they come regarding the club getting players in but the goalie situation I have zero sympathy for. Last season we were unlucky with Rae's injury, and Henderson's registration took ages to come through so we were on the back foot through no fault of our own. We played the system nicely with emergency loans but got lucky both times that there were good keepers available when we needed them.

But we've known for 3 months this game was coming. By definition it's not an 'emergency' when you have that much time to sort it so the very fact we're even trying for that doesn't really sit right with me anyway. We've got the same back 4 as last season so any reasonably competent keeper who was signed as back-up would have had the whole of pre-season to work with the back 4 to get ready for Saturday. It's clear from McCabe's absolute refusal to play Hutton (even when 4 goals ahead in a play-off) that he almost shouldn't be counted as a keeper, in which case we have no-one.

We may well botch something together for Saturday still, but the chances of Rae getting suspended again is pretty high if he keeps charging out. There needs to be a more stable solution than scraping round for goalies at the last minute each time.

The GK situation is a stupid situation to have put ourselves in. We've known long enough that we'd need one, shouldn't be relying on Hutton as a back up, then try and sort an emergency loan from the ONLY club in Scotland with a competitive fixture this week that could scarper the loan. And look what happens.

I'm generally supportive of how we go about our business, will defend the club against silly comments I don't agree with etc. but for this one, it's a potential egg on your face scenario and just leaves the club open for people to moan, IF we end up with Hutton in goals and IF we end up losing. 

Long term perspective, I'm still comfortable we will bring in the right players but the GK situation could've been avoided. 

47 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

The GK situation is a stupid situation to have put ourselves in. We've known long enough that we'd need one, shouldn't be relying on Hutton as a back up, then try and sort an emergency loan from the ONLY club in Scotland with a competitive fixture this week that could scarper the loan. And look what happens.

I'm generally supportive of how we go about our business, will defend the club against silly comments I don't agree with etc. but for this one, it's a potential egg on your face scenario and just leaves the club open for people to moan, IF we end up with Hutton in goals and IF we end up losing. 

Long term perspective, I'm still comfortable we will bring in the right players but the GK situation could've been avoided. 

Bit of a rate situation thst both there main two keepers got injured on the same day 

22 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Bit of a rate situation thst both there main two keepers got injured on the same day 

I was actually at the Hibs game tonight.. brother in law is a Hibee, family secret, we live in shame. Anyway, appears their keeper got injured in the warm up and then not clear what happened to their back up keeper but he walked off in some pain. Hobbling off with help. 3rd keeper did well overall, would have been a great backup for us and it popped into my head that maybe this was the guy Airdrie would want for Saturday and knew then it was dead in the water.  Really bad luck but given the apparent injuries to their other keepers, Boruc may be their main man for at least the next couple of weeks.  Hibs is the LAST team in Scotland we’ll get an emergency loan from 

9 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

What a shambles. Currently going into our first game of the championship with an entire league 1 squad. A 45 year old david Hutton in goals and our manager, assistant manager, and Stuart millar all starting 

Stuart Millar starting geez , things are pretty bleak,  is Willie McGuire going to pass a fitness test for a place on the bench...  

7 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Absolutely yes. But it wouldn't take both to be injured for any proposed loan to fall through. Just one. And as slim a chance as that was of happening, it was still a risk and one that has now been realised. And one that could have been avoided. Thus, I'd imagine it's put us in a challenging position that could have been avoided. Would you not agree? 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

7 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Even one being injured would have ruined it though, presuming they like to have a sub goalie... That's not that unlikely.

The whole point is that we shouldn't be in a position where we are scrambling around using emergency loans in the first game of the season when there is no emergency. We’ve had 3 months to sort this.