Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

The experienced players in the team should be able to understand when and when not to play from the back but they all conform to the high risk style of play, beyond frustrating as we handed most of Dunfermlines chances and their goal to them in the first half through sloppiness and over playing. The most worrying thing for me was that even if we wanted to mix up it we couldn't today because O'connor and McGregor have absolutely no strength and are so easily out battled that we lost the ball just as quick going long to them. 

I'm not overly worried yet but that was a great opportunity to get some ground between ourselves and the bottom of the table. 3 or 4 solid additions required on top of what we have already and we should be om though.

McCabe saying in his interview that we don't just put the ball in the box against 10 men because the likes of Benedictus love defending against that. I'd disagree, I think what they like even more is shuffling across side to side watching the opposition pass the ball sideways 25 yards out and not having to defend anything.

I'm not advocating lumping it into the box from our own half, or even from 30 yards out, but there's times where we work a good angle and then go back again. We couldn't manage it against 9 men last season so doing the same and expecting better against 10 doesn't make much sense. Obviously they are going to win most of the balls, but you only need to win 1 to score, or pick up scraps and knockdowns. It's a far more percentage play then trying to pass through 10 men within 20 yards of their goal. McGill's equaliser against Hamilton in the play-offs is a great example, Gal chipped a ball in towards their centre backs (who, like Benedictus, had won everything that day), we get a scrappy knockdown and score. If we'd tried to work an opening that day we'd still be in League 1.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

I love big ATS, I can see why McCabe didn't start Hancock at the back today especially with their being an emergency goalkeeper, but I think he has to start against Thistle, need someone more mobile to play alongside Fordyce.

I’ve been a vocal ATS truther but yeah, he got caught out a few times today, notably when Wighton got in behind and somehow wasn’t given a foul. As a pairing him and Fordyce are just too slow, as we all know, so hopefully Hancock is ready to come in and start. I did enjoy ATS using his head to try and win the ball while on the deck twice though :lol: 

43 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

The most worrying thing for me was that even if we wanted to mix up it we couldn't today because O'connor and McGregor have absolutely no strength and are so easily out battled that we lost the ball just as quick going long to them. 

This.   Even though I’ve seen McGregor shoot past a lot of defenders in previous matches he just wasn’t at the races today.  Got out muscled constantly and was ineffective for large chunks of the game.  O’Connor wasn’t much better, this is a real are of opportunity for Rhys.  I’m not sure these boys are obvious starters.  They are young and developing but the Championship might just be beyond them yet. 

And I need to echo what’s been said previously about our passing out from the back.  PLEASE, PLEASE stop fvcking about.  My heart was in my mouth several times today with the passing going on.  

ATS is fairly solid but clearly unable to take on and beat 99% of players.  Great at reading the game and spreading a pass but the pace isn’t there. 

The team tried hard but McGill and Toddy being out hurt badly.  And yes, we are at least 3 signings short from what I can see. If we have another addition and see some injured players return then who knows what we can do next week but expecting Thistle to show up wanting all 3 points   

I'm in the minority of our support who totally get the passing it out and around at the back. Yeah I get that there will be occasional mistakes but I think that it's worth persevering with. The one who was most uncomfortable with it when Dunfermline were pressing us was ATS purely because he's so laborious with possession. 

My main positive take from today was McMaster when he came on to replace McCabe. I thought he was magnificent in possession, very composed and more than happy to draw a couple of players towards him before making a pass. I'd be perfectly happy to see him starting games.

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest

19 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I'm in the minority of our support who totally get the passing it out and around at the back. Yeah I get that there will be occasional mistakes but I think that it's worth persevering with. 

I agree. Passing the ball from keeper to defence to midfield and onto our strikers works much better than lumping it up. 

BUT, it’s all about timing and doing it effectively. We literally did it at every goal kick in the first half and it was totally ineffective. Dunfermline were literally just waiting on us passing it straight to them which we did many times. 

We should be doing it when the opposition are sitting deeper not when 3 opposition player are prowling on the edge of the box. Totally embarrassing and naive from McCabe

Edited by Diamond1924

14 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I agree. Passing the ball from keeper to defence to midfield and onto our strikers works much better than lumping it up. 

BUT, it’s all about timing and doing it effectively. We literally did it at every goal kick in the first half and it was totally ineffective. Dunfermline were literally just waiting on us passing it straight to them which we did many times. 

We should be doing it when the opposition are sitting deeper not when 3 opposition player are prowling on the edge of the box. Totally embarrassing and naive from McCabe

Too many times the ball ended up getting passed out to Dycey who then pumped it up the line while getting chased down by a Dunfermline player.  Ultimately, the same result as a kick out.  Yeah, sometimes we’ll get a chance to find a player in midfield with space but right now it doesn’t seem that the risk is worth the reward.  Just my humble opinion but if it starts to work then I can see the benefit.  Right now it looks like this tactic will cost us goals

18 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Too many times the ball ended up getting passed out to Dycey who then pumped it up the line while getting chased down by a Dunfermline player.  Ultimately, the same result as a kick out.  Yeah, sometimes we’ll get a chance to find a player in midfield with space but right now it doesn’t seem that the risk is worth the reward.  Just my humble opinion but if it starts to work then I can see the benefit.  Right now it looks like this tactic will cost us goals

I also agree with this. 

If the end result of passing it about at the back is a humph up the park then there’s no point in doing it 

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I'm in the minority of our support who totally get the passing it out and around at the back. Yeah I get that there will be occasional mistakes but I think that it's worth persevering with. The one who was most uncomfortable with it when Dunfermline were pressing us was ATS purely because he's so laborious with possession. 

My main positive take from today was McMaster when he came on to replace McCabe. I thought he was magnificent in possession, very composed and more than happy to draw a couple of players towards him before making a pass. I'd be perfectly happy to see him starting games.

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I’m not against it but as Watson said, it’s about knowing when to do it and when not to. And if it’s not on, what is our game plan then? 

Just now, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Maybe it would be better if we played oConnor in more of his natural position which is striker he showed at inverness and Bonnyrigg the runs he could make whilst our wife he wasn’t getting a good chance to do it today imo 

Aye let's drop Gal and/or Tod for fu&£in Josh O'Connor...dear, oh dear

Edited by cb_diamond

10 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Maybe it would be better if we played oConnor in more of his natural position which is striker he showed at inverness and Bonnyrigg the runs he could make whilst our wife he wasn’t getting a good chance to do it today imo 

Gallagher was player of the year last year, and Todorov has experience of this level and looks a threat, both are central strikers. Absolutely no chance that O'Connor could play as a central striker on his own and he's done nothing to earn that chance over the alternatives. Last week was in a front 2 which seemed to be a one-off, probably due to the small pitch. Until the last 25 minutes last week I though he was relatively poor and gave the ball away a lot, he came into the game purely because lots of balls were getting played in behind and they were tiring.

If he's going to get into the team it's going to be as a wide forward, probably off the left. He doesn't have the attributes to be that central striker that we play with.

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I’m not against it but as Watson said, it’s about knowing when to do it and when not to. And if it’s not on, what is our game plan then? 

I like the passing but there has to be some variety in order for it to work. Even if you don't like going long you have to go long occasionally to show the opposition that you are willing to do it. That makes their back line sit a bit deeper to avoid balls over the top, that makes it harder for them to press as a unit, and that's when we can start to play. If they know we're never going to go long then the other team just park their back line on the halfway line and press the life out of us. But if they know we have O'Connor and McGregor's pace in behind with a long ball that instantly makes them drop 10 yards and makes it easier for us to pass it out.

We started last season like this and gradually shifted to a more realistic approach by mixing it up a bit as the season went on. I'd assume we'll do the same this season but I hoped we'd learned from last year and would avoid the first few weeks of trying to be Barcelona circa 2008.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Just need to get if of my chest before I go to bed but🤣 Justin devenny situation is really annoying me, see if your not gonna play him and he’s on the verge of a move away why even put him on the bench? It’s obvious he’s not gonna play either stick or sell him. And it probably was a penalty but it doesn’t help that gal missed an open goal from 2 yards out either, can’t be blaming the ref every week for not getting results in this league, got to take your chances.

Edited by AJ77

48 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Just need to get if of my chest before I go to bed but🤣 Justin devenny situation is really annoying me, see if your not gonna play him and he’s on the verge of a move away why even put him on the bench?

100% this. Honestly, I'm stunned he's getting any move, he's really not very good. Although I had to laugh at the mad rant in the FB bin fire claiming were getting ¾million for him 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂....

....😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by cb_diamond

7 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Just need to get if of my chest before I go to bed but🤣 Justin devenny situation is really annoying me, see if your not gonna play him and he’s on the verge of a move away why even put him on the bench? It’s obvious he’s not gonna play either stick or sell him. And it probably was a penalty but it doesn’t help that gal missed an open goal from 2 yards out either, can’t be blaming the ref every week for not getting results in this league, got to take your chances.

This was also me. Although I think the term i used was sh*t or get off the pot 🤣

11 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Need to mix it up a bit not make it compulsory to play out from the back ,as been said teams will be looking for that every week ,

9 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Might have missed this but if not has Rhys been asked the question by either Diamonds tv or the Record about why Devenny's on the bench/not playing and/or rumour that a club is in for him?! Or is it a case of we don't want to ask the manager an awkward question?! 🙄

44 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Need to mix it up a bit not make it compulsory to play out from the back ,as been said teams will be looking for that every week ,

Our first goal yesterday came from passing it out from the back and working it up the pitch, but then their first goal also came from us passing it out and losing it. So I guess the net result is even and therefore I think it's too simplistic to just say that we cost ourselves the game through overplaying because we wouldn't have scored our goal if we hadn't been playing out from the back. In fact the passage of play that led to our goal looks much riskier than the one that we conceded from. If you remove one then you have to remove the other.

Some of the goals we scored last season from doing it were incredible, but we also scored some great goals by playing long diagonals over the top (McGill's in the 4-3 game for example). With the players we have I think generally speaking it's the best way to play for us, but we have to mix it up at times and go longer now and then to put that doubt in the opposition's head and use the space in behind if teams press us high.

McCabe isn't stupid, he talks very well in the 'modern manager' mould about playing the 'right way' etc, but he showed last season that he was willing and able to adapt to a less idealistic style, I'm confident he'll do the same again.