Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

While there is the fact he's a youngster, he's played top league and European games and seems from the limited info we have to be a "very likely to really make it" as opposed to being labelled "promising". The fact there is a fee suggests a real level of quality there. I would assume that he's on a minimum 2 year deal also if a fee is involved. Interesting.

Great 3 points. Inverness look poor to me and therefore a home game against them is a game we needed to be picking up all 3 points because most others will too. To win when not playing well and having to grind out a win is very encouraging too.

On a side note, Frizz really needs to watch himself. I make that 5 bookings in 7 matches he's had, he's already missed 1 Cup game through suspension and will now miss another, and we're still in August. We can't afford to be missing players through stupidity, which picking up a needless 2nd yellow is. I don't know if this is him trying to impose himself as a captain or something but picking up numerous yellow cards and missing games isn't helping anyone. Red cards killed us last year, we can't get dragged down that road again.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Another rollercoaster of a Saturday, this feels like football compared to League 1, as I said before let's never darken that leagues door again..

We didn't play great, as Rhys was saying on his interview,    as I said at the game you can sometimes score too early and the opposition can get the upper hand as the game goes on,  We scored 2 opportunistic goals, especially Galls,  great composed finish,    ICT actually played decent stuff, but final third and pass was woeful,   Frizz had 2 silly bookings, we cannot really moan about the ref,  Carson would have walked for them if we were a little more streetwise second half, 2 or 3 times McGregor turned him and Carson had a pull on the shirt and a hold of the shoulder of Lewis goes down,  Carson is off as well,  that only comes with experience...

We rode our luck as we tired a little late on, but as I said IcT were poor, although we were nothing special, 

Big game at Tannadice next week going in without arguably our best midfielders McCabe, Frizzell and Telfer ...

My thoughts on all of todays goings on…

Firstly, getting the 3 points was massive.  It gives us a very solid start to the campaign 3 games in and I’m feeling confident at the moment.  Thought Ballantyne, McMaster, Frizz had a solid first half although I agree, it wasn’t one of our strongest performances. Losing Frizz so early in the second gave me the fear, I was worried we’d concede within 10 mins of him going but we seemed to adjust well - Aiken and McMaster showed a lot of maturity and even though ICT pressed more we didnt look all that likely to concede.  Glad we held on after we did lose one, Caley fans will argue that a draw was a fair result, I’m thinking we deserved the win.. just.  I’m agreeing with an earlier observation, Frizz has to be really careful.  He also has an obligation as Captain to be more streetwise and he’s now getting to the point where he could be singled out with refs.  Thinking it’s inevitable that Telfer will return for next week if he’s healthy and this now looks like a really tough game to get anything from but who knows. 
McMaster getting MOTM - I won’t have any complaints about that and I think there’s been a couple of games where he deserved it. Time to get the pen out for Dean and get him tied up.   

think the new signing is exciting, obviously someone that none of us know but he seems to come with the right reputation and attitude so who knows.  Still maintain that we need a little more experience and maybe this is the week to make that kind of signing to help at Tannadice. 

todays result leaves Inverness rooted at the bottom after Morton gives a shit show performance against Arbroath - I’m definitely keeping the attitude of looking after ourselves and not worrying about other teams but right now we are giving a good account of ourselves and maybe it’s especially important that on day when we didn’t play our best we got 3 points.  Going to need that on a few occasions this season. Roll on next Saturday, can’t wait 

1 minute ago, FLDiamond said:

My thoughts on all of todays goings on…

Firstly, getting the 3 points was massive.  It gives us a very solid start to the campaign 3 games in and I’m feeling confident at the moment.  Thought Ballantyne, McMaster, Frizz had a solid first half although I agree, it wasn’t one of our strongest performances. Losing Frizz so early in the second gave me the fear, I was worried we’d concede within 10 mins of him going but we seemed to adjust well - Aiken and McMaster showed a lot of maturity and even though ICT pressed more we didnt look all that likely to concede.  Glad we held on after we did lose one, Caley fans will argue that a draw was a fair result, I’m thinking we deserved the win.. just.  I’m agreeing with an earlier observation, Frizz has to be really careful.  He also has an obligation as Captain to be more streetwise and composed - he’s now getting to the point where he could be singled out with refs.  Thinking it’s inevitable that Telfer will return for next week if he’s healthy and this now looks like a really tough game to get anything from but who knows. 
McMaster getting MOTM - I won’t have any complaints about that and I think there’s been a couple of games where he deserved it. Time to get the pen out for Dean and get him tied up.   

think the new signing is exciting, obviously someone that none of us know but he seems to come with the right reputation and attitude so who knows.  Still maintain that we need a little more experience and maybe this is the week to make that kind of signing to help at Tannadice. 

todays result leaves Inverness rooted at the bottom after Morton gives a shit show performance against Arbroath - I’m definitely keeping the attitude of looking after ourselves and not worrying about other teams but right now we are giving a good account of ourselves and maybe it’s especially important that on day when we didn’t play our best we got 3 points.  Going to need that on a few occasions this season. Roll on next Saturday, can’t wait 

Meant to add that if Josh can keep conceding just one goal per game we’ll be adding points almost every week 

Edited by FLDiamond

20 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

There's some amount of snidey wee digs getting aimed at this thread on Facebook and Twitter. The happy clappy sweetie wives are not so happy. 😂😂😂

Happy clappy sweety wife (FB) or miserable moaning b*****d (P&B). 

I'll take the positive pill thanks. 

Cannot imagine how awful this thread would get if we were actually losing games. 

Honestly, It's almost like some people on here want us to lose so they can say 'I told you, you can't win anything with kids.' 😂

Just now, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Happy clappy sweety wife (FB) or miserable moaning b*****d (P&B). 

I'll take the positive pill thanks. 

Cannot imagine how awful this thread would get if we were actually losing games. 

Honestly, It's almost like some people on here want us to lose so they can say 'I told you, you can't win anything with kids.' 😂

I guarantee not one person on here wants us to lose. Not one.

23 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I guarantee not one person on here wants us to lose. Not one.

Which is why I said 'almost like'. 

Just can't get my head round the negativity though. That's undeniable on here. Overly critical IMO, so I can see why people on FB would comment on it. 

You'd think we'd not just won promotion after years of obscurity. Not started the season well. But people are getting hung up on us not having signed an experienced midfielder yet, when we seem to be coping quite well without it. 

A wise man said to me today that he'd rather watch players on their way up than those on the decline. Couldn't have put it better myself. Seeing hungry young players starting to realise their potential and playing an excellent brand of football under a highly motivational manager who sets high standards...... We've been crying out for this for years and now we have it. What's not to like? 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

21 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

A wise man said to me today that he'd rather watch players on their way up than those on the decline. Couldn't have put it better myself. Seeing hungry young players starting to realise their potential and playing an excellent brand of football under a highly motivational manager who sets high standards...... We've been crying out for this for years and now we have it. What's not to like? 

This is a fantastic point. Wasn’t so long ago that we were surviving in League One and relying on players like Fitzpatrick, Simon Mensing, Kevin McBride, Iain Russell (albeit he did a job) and Hugo Faria. It’s alright saying we need experienced players but I think the crop we have now actually has an alright balance. And they’re doing much better than the retirement express looking for their last pro football gig.

13 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Excellent win considering we weren’t at our best, McMaster n Aiken brilliant in the midfield really stood up in the 2nd half, hopefully contract talks are already underway with McMaster👀

As for signings I think the fans better get used to McCabe and Airdries way forward, I’m expecting another couple of signings in the next week but don’t count on them being over 20!

Apparently McMaster is signed up for longer than one season (although I'm not sure how long). 

I asked the question, are there others signed up for longer than a season. And was told yes. But wasn't told who. Personally I don't really get why the Club are so tight lipped. But good to hear McMaster is signed up.

8 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Which is why I said 'almost like'. 

Just can't get my head round the negativity though. That's undeniable on here. Overly critical IMO, so I can see why people on FB would comment on it. 

You'd think we'd not just won promotion after years of obscurity. Not started the season well. But people are getting hung up on us not having signed an experienced midfielder yet, when we seem to be coping quite well without it. 

I genuinely don’t think anyone disagrees with you.

It’s great to see young and hungry players on the park but a lack of physicality in midfield and EXPERIENCE will cause us bother this season against much more physical teams. This is why having an experienced & physical player is essential to come in when needed. 

We only want the recruitment to be a bit more diverse with a mix of high potential and proven players.

Hancock was a good example of the type of player I’d expect us to sign in conjunction with our younger signings. He’s played in the championship and looks physically capable to compete at this level.

Everyone who has commented on signing youngsters is entirely entitled to. We don’t want the club to fail nor do we want to bring the party down but the signing of Gallagher the other night just looked like the easy option to get someone in the door. 

9 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

There's some amount of snidey wee digs getting aimed at this thread on Facebook and Twitter. The happy clappy sweetie wives are not so happy. 😂😂😂

Don't do Facebook and haven't seen anything on Twitter regards this thread however I can only imagine that any negative comments are directed at certain posts and not the entire thread. "Happy clappy sweetie wives" as a description of people who are good with the direction the club is going in, is most certainly a great way to cause division amongst a support.

You do you and I'll continue to back the players, management/coaching team and owners.

1 hour ago, Tory Boy said:

Apparently McMaster is signed up for longer than one season (although I'm not sure how long). 

I asked the question, are there others signed up for longer than a season. And was told yes. But wasn't told who. Personally I don't really get why the Club are so tight lipped. But good to hear McMaster is signed up.

Yeah very possible mate, so weird why the club are so quiet on how long players are signed up for, apparently Josh Rae signed a contract extension midway through last season because the club got him through his shoulder operation but again nothing was announced.

What I’d heard on McMaster was they were trying to tie him down to 2026 but obviously willing to sell on next summer, confidence there that they can get more for him than Devenny!

15 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Yeah very possible mate, so weird why the club are so quiet on how long players are signed up for, apparently Josh Rae signed a contract extension midway through last season because the club got him through his shoulder operation but again nothing was announced.

What I’d heard on McMaster was they were trying to tie him down to 2026 but obviously willing to sell on next summer, confidence there that they can get more for him than Devenny!

I know some fans are quite critical about not hearing much from the club, I generally don’t care but I don’t understand why they’re so secretive with contract lengths. I assume agents/other clubs can find out this information pretty easily anyway, it’s just us who are left in the dark, so I’m not sure what there is to gain from not announcing anything.

McMaster being on a multi year deal is very good news given his start to the season and the higher level involved he could easily be significantly more valuable than JD next summer if he keeps reaching his potential in the coming months.

Edited by cb_diamond