Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

On 02/09/2023 at 22:05, Diamonds are Forever said:

No, but Ian Murray got a move for achieving less. It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that a club not much higher up than ourselves looks to take him and asks him the question.

Achieving less? Murray got us into two playoff finals! Think he took us as far as he could and his efforts more than merited a move to raith. 

McCabe needs to demonstrate that he can do it in the championship before any big clubs come calling

10 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Something like - 

Rae 
Watson Fordyce Hancock Fellows 
                           GavGal
                McStravick Telfer (if fit)
   McGill             Todorov      Dunlop 

would do me. Lets a couple of fringe players play and some others increase their match fitness/sharpness. I’d let the likes of Cassidy, Spalding and Kavanagh feature too assuming we put the game to bed early enough. I’d swap out Rae for Hutton but I assume he can’t/won’t play anymore and I’m not sure how au fait he’d be with our current style of play anyway 😂 And I wouldn’t rush Telfer back if he’s not fit yet. Hopefully this week is a good opportunity for the injured players to recover in time for Gayfield. 

Would you go as far as to play Liam Prunty in goals? I'd certainly get as many Fringe players in as possible and rest players. GK usually not as important in that respect, but more about giving a young GK like Prunty that exposure maybe. 

6 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Achieving less? Murray got us into two playoff finals! Think he took us as far as he could and his efforts more than merited a move to raith. 

McCabe needs to demonstrate that he can do it in the championship before any big clubs come calling

You could argue that Rhys has already done something that Murray didn't - win the play off and get us promoted. That alone raises his stock, especially as a first season in management. 

Arguably there are bigger clubs in the Championship than Airdrie, and plenty down in England, who might have a sniff around if he continues to get results - and get noticed, which (albeit we have lost 2 league games so far) so far he is doing. 

55 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

I know this cup has become a farce but it’s one I’d still love us to win any season. I wouldn’t knock any (competitive affiliated) cup we are in as trophy’s and Airdrie isn’t all that common sadly 

I've had some absolutely messy as f*CK days/nights of the challenge cup final.

Bring it on.

2 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Kirky Rob Roy are at home (well Guys Meadow, Cumbernauld) against the bankies so that may be where I go instead.

As a side note, new stadium coming on Ian. They aim to be back playing here soon.

I may frequent the venue myself on occasions. One hopes there will be a replacement for the old Social Club from the former site.

4 minutes ago, diamondman said:

As a side note, new stadium coming on Ian. They aim to be back playing here soon.

I may frequent the venue myself on occasions. One hopes there will be a replacement for the old Social Club from the former site.

That would be good to see them back in their own town. And a social club would be a nice wee earner surely.

12 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've had some absolutely messy as f*CK days/nights of the challenge cup final.

Bring it on.

Aye had good night's after spring cup and challenge cup wins,and sure the players and management will be going for it as well ,would like to think so anyway, 

it’s a trophy we have a chance of winning. Would love to take youngest daughter to a final and and see a trophy lifted. We auld guys don’t realise how good we had it, 3 Scottish Cup Finals, Spring Cup, multiple Challenge Cups, 2  promotions,  Europe. I want the youngsters to experience that, so take it serious and try to win everything. On another note eldest daughter’s been disowned as she asked what Airdrie top to get her partner. ‘The one with the red triangle?’ , I kid you not.

On 04/09/2023 at 10:04, Diamond1924 said:

I don't see what you are disagreeing with here. Murray did a really good job, and fully merited his move, I never suggested otherwise. That's irrelevant though, I said McCabe achieved more than Murray - unless you'd prefer to lose 2 play-off finals than win 1 then I don't see how that's disputable. The aim was to get promoted and McCabe achieved that, with near enough the same team that Murray had (after losing our best player).

As for your second point, I agree, again I never said otherwise. The discussion was based around 'if' we continue to do quite well this season, a big 'if', that the promotion and consolidation would undoubtedly attract attention. I also didn't say from 'big clubs', almost the opposite, I said clubs 'not much higher up than us', for example a top half Championship club who lose their manager would obviously be interested. Whether they could afford him or he'd go is a different story.

As someone else said, McCabe is no Pep Guardiola just because of one promotion, however there is a complete lack of suitable managers in Scotland just now which is why so many clubs are going for untried and untested new managers like Bartley, Bullen, Doolan, Imrie, Rankin and many more across the leagues. That means any young manager with any successes on his CV like a promotion (and no real failures yet) is going to be considered.

13 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye had good night's after spring cup and challenge cup wins,and sure the players and management will be going for it as well ,would like to think so anyway, 

Spring cup was a great game.

Up against a young Davie Cooper

Ironically against Clydebank, and still the holders of the 🏆

13 minutes ago, Spring Cup Winners said:

Billy Wilson and Wullie McCulloch were two of my early heroes, but "Cowboy" scored two in that game so that's who always comes to mind for me. Great game.

I was a bit too young to be celebrating in the pub but was buzzin for weeks after it.

McCulloch scored 2goals alright  but no cowboy he played a lot of years before this game ,away back in the wee prime minister's time ,