Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

12 hours ago, Spring Cup Winners said:

Aye, the very same

Willie also managed Bannockburn to a Scottish Amateur Cup success in the late 80's.

Of course there was another famous diamond "Willie" who also led a local amateur club to the same trophy a few years later. One for the oldies?

Don’t really care about Saturday’s game much, but if we got to the latter stages of the Challenge Cup I’d start caring, so a win would certainly be nice.

If McCabe and Telfer are ready to return it’s a good chance for them to get minutes. Good chance to give McMaster and potentially others a rest too. Think Gabby could do with the minutes as I think he’s been struggling. And I think others that haven’t played as much or are newer to the squad like Todorov, O’Connor, Hancock, McStravick could do with the minutes as well. Maybe could have some of the academy boys involved as well if they’re ready for a run out in the seniors but no rush for that. Fellows probably the closest to senior level given his involvement in pre-season.

16 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Don’t really care about Saturday’s game much, but if we got to the latter stages of the Challenge Cup I’d start caring, so a win would certainly be nice.

If McCabe and Telfer are ready to return it’s a good chance for them to get minutes. Good chance to give McMaster and potentially others a rest too. Think Gabby could do with the minutes as I think he’s been struggling. And I think others that haven’t played as much or are newer to the squad like Todorov, O’Connor, Hancock, McStravick could do with the minutes as well. Maybe could have some of the academy boys involved as well if they’re ready for a run out in the seniors but no rush for that. Fellows probably the closest to senior level given his involvement in pre-season.

Looks as if the boy Cassidy is preferred to Fellows now, been in the last few squads where as Fellows been in and out. 

19 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I don't see what you are disagreeing with here. Murray did a really good job, and fully merited his move, I never suggested otherwise. That's irrelevant though, I said McCabe achieved more than Murray - unless you'd prefer to lose 2 play-off finals than win 1 then I don't see how that's disputable. The aim was to get promoted and McCabe achieved that, with near enough the same team that Murray had (after losing our best player).

As for your second point, I agree, again I never said otherwise. The discussion was based around 'if' we continue to do quite well this season, a big 'if', that the promotion and consolidation would undoubtedly attract attention. I also didn't say from 'big clubs', almost the opposite, I said clubs 'not much higher up than us', for example a top half Championship club who lose their manager would obviously be interested. Whether they could afford him or he'd go is a different story.

As someone else said, McCabe is no Pep Guardiola just because of one promotion, however there is a complete lack of suitable managers in Scotland just now which is why so many clubs are going for untried and untested new managers like Bartley, Bullen, Doolan, Imrie, Rankin and many more across the leagues. That means any young manager with any successes on his CV like a promotion (and no real failures yet) is going to be considered.

Thank you for your dissection…

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Well I do care and I'll be there,get a good team on the park or am I mistaken that we have just come off a defeat , winning the name of the game ,

13 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Well I do care and I'll be there,get a good team on the park or am I mistaken that we have just come off a defeat , winning the name of the game ,

The name of the game now now seems to Pass, Possession , Plaudits. ,  I always thought it was winning that mattered nothing else..

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

The name of the game now now seems to Pass, Possession , Plaudits. ,  I always thought it was winning that mattered nothing else..

Winning does matter, that’s why we play the same way we did when we WON promotion, WON every game in the cup and WON our last 2 home games.

Makes perfect sense to me.

29 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Winning does matter, that’s why we play the same way we did when we WON promotion, WON every game in the cup and WON our last 2 home games.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Agree up to now,but reading some posts the general census was not bothered about this cup on sat ,and aye it is good what we are doing ,in the end it comes down to 3points  or into next round  of the cup ,

On 04/09/2023 at 10:30, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Would you go as far as to play Liam Prunty in goals? I'd certainly get as many Fringe players in as possible and rest players. GK usually not as important in that respect, but more about giving a young GK like Prunty that exposure maybe. 

I wouldn’t be against it if McCabe thought he was ready. Ideally we’d play another keeper in this game but even playing Stirling Uni is a huge step up from U18s football. 

I’ve always traditionally been a big exponent of the Challenge Cup. It’s important that there is a cup competition  for lower league teams to win and, as such, we should be taking it seriously and looking to win it ourselves. Totally agree with @Mybitchunderprotest though that the inclusion of B teams has devalued the competition. No interest at all in watching us play B teams or supporting that project so I’ll continue to boycott any games in the competition involving them so long as they remain part of it. 

I’ve no interest in watching us play a university team either (unless the game took place at the university sports grounds) so I’ll be giving Saturday a miss. Looking forward to a grand day out at Gayfield next Saturday though. 

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I wouldn’t be against it if McCabe thought he was ready. Ideally we’d play another keeper in this game but even playing Stirling Uni is a huge step up from U18s football. 

I’ve always traditionally been a big exponent of the Challenge Cup. It’s important that there is a cup competition  for lower league teams to win and, as such, we should be taking it seriously and looking to win it ourselves. Totally agree with @Mybitchunderprotest though that the inclusion of B teams has devalued the competition. No interest at all in watching us play B teams or supporting that project so I’ll continue to boycott any games in the competition involving them so long as they remain part of it. 

I’ve no interest in watching us play a university team either (unless the game took place at the university sports grounds) so I’ll be giving Saturday a miss. Looking forward to a grand day out at Gayfield next Saturday though. 

I have got to admit the so called big teams in Scotland  have a hard neck putting out reserve teams to watch after watching their first teams last week  in Europe,

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

The students aren't doing great this year and the "Prince" has just added a 2nd.

Whilst I'm not a great fan of the current format, winning is a good habit and I would expect the manager to put out a side to do just that.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Prunty is definitely not ready conceded 7 against livi reserves so we even know if he’s even a good keeper or is he only there cause who his dad is 

18 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Prunty is definitely not ready conceded 7 against livi reserves so we even know if he’s even a good keeper or is he only there cause who his dad is 

Highly rated,  in all seriousness the lad just signed his first Professional deal when he turned 17 a few weeks back,  he should be playing under 19s and learning his trade, it's irrelevant who his father is, and we as fans have to get over that.  IMo  Liam should be know where near the reserve side playing against frustrated SPL players,  that should be David Hutton or if we ever decide we require a no 2 keeper..  a 7 nil defeat against Livi last week will do nobody any good especially a young keeper,  as stated previously players like Todorov, Hancock, etc should have been playing that game, that is something I hope is rectified for next game...