Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

51 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Can't see myself but there are a few I should get. Mind you I could be wrong about the players as well. Year? Marvin Wilson? I'm not in it. 

McLaren and Gow for definite. Maybe McKeown McLaren is hugging? Must be 04 when we won the old second division. 

Interesting team selection for today. In defence I doubt ATS will start given his Antigua games therefore perhaps Hancock in his place although that could change if Watson's not ready to start.

I'm struggling to see how we can accommodate Frizzell & McStravick in midfield so I'd expect Magic to start on the bench.

Gabby continues to struggle up front and may lose his place but I'd give him another go.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Interesting team selection for today. In defence I doubt ATS will start given his Antigua games therefore perhaps Hancock in his place although that could change if Watson's not ready to start.

I'm struggling to see how we can accommodate Frizzell & McStravick in midfield so I'd expect Magic to start on the bench.

Gabby continues to struggle up front and may lose his place but I'd give him another go.

I’d start Frizzell, Aiken and one of McCabe/McMaster. We’ve got good depth in midfield and different games will require different combinations but I think we’ll need Aiken’s ball winning ability and one of the holding midfielders in there today. 

Having at least one of ATS or Watson back would be a real boost. 

Edited by airdrieman

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I’d start Frizzell, Aiken and one of McCabe/McMaster. We’ve got good depth in midfield and different games will require different combinations but I think we’ll need Aiken’s ball winning ability and one of the holding midfielders in there today. 

Having at least one of ATS or Watson back would be a real boost. 

For me McCabe is an automatic starter, as a leader, goal threat etc, he brings so much more to the table than McMaster who is a modern day dot to dot footballer,  good player at what he does..    unless of course ATS doesn't make it and Rhys slips into the defence...

As you say McGill continues to toil badly,  he has been caught out technically in this league and our style of play now doesnt really suit his reckless style,  for me magic on the right and McGregor on the left both can switch as required...

I am going for a Desmond in this game..

Without hyperbole, that was a disgrace of a performance on several levels. Complete tactical naivety from McCabe. 

Also highlights the real lack of quality options out with the first 11. I'm assuming we won't be signing anyone else given it's nearly October.

That's pathetic. Had to watch on stream today due to illness. I'm afraid I'm about to go scatter gun in the heat of the moment.

Today we were up against a well drilled, solid and established championship team with players that are able to mix it physically as well as skillfully. Our squad in the other hand just doesn't have those attributes, to start with two lightweight wingers who offer little to f**k all other than pace is criminal. Dropping Aiken for the manager himself seemed a 50/50 call at the time. The goals we lost were awful, so fucking soft. 

It's been well stated our recruitment has been bang average at best with a severe lack of proven championship players. The club may well have their reasons for this and the recruitment strategy but they must understand that a lack of investment could well see us straight back where we fought so hard for so long to get away from. A dangerous game to play. 

As for McCabe, I love the guy and think he will have a cracking career as a manager but the arrogance has to drop. There's more than one way to play and I fear our way could see us on the end of a few pumpings this season given our current squad choices.

Fair fucks to Arbroath though, a team widely tipped for the drop that didn't even need to get put or 2nd gear to sweep us aside today. Solid team on that and previous weeks showings.

Was going to happen to us at some point this season and I’m not surprised it happened at Gayfield. Result next week would be massive to stop us getting into a rut like we did around this time last year. Will be harder to get away with it like we did last year because it will be that much harder to go on a winning run like we did a couple of times last season. 8th place is and always was the aim.

11 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Pathetic. 

How McCabe can start himself n drop aitken beyond me, shocking team selection shocking performance, hopefully a wake up call needed that staying in this division won’t be as easy as we think.

McCabe had a shocker. Perfectly illustrated the challenges of managing and playing. Deano should have started in the holding role. Aiken has been one of best players. I assume he has a knock, otherwise a questionable decision to leave him out.

12 minutes ago, Mingus2000 said:

McCabe had a shocker. Perfectly illustrated the challenges of managing and playing. Deano should have started in the holding role. Aiken has been one of best players. I assume he has a knock, otherwise a questionable decision to leave him out.

But he's a young manager  with a bright future ,have faith your going to need it ,

The blame for todays shambles will rightly be directed to Rhys, but what’s our support all about these days? Nothing expect for a few lethargic “Airdrie Airdrie Airdrie”’s. We can accuse the team of being “pathetic”, but could say the same of ourselves.  We do absolutely nothing to get them going.

Anyway, I’m off to get hammered in Tutties.

59 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Without hyperbole, that was a disgrace of a performance on several levels. Complete tactical naivety from McCabe. 

Also highlights the real lack of quality options out with the first 11. I'm assuming we won't be signing anyone else given it's nearly October.

I'm certain players can currently still be brought in on loan provided they're from a higher league but not sure when that period ends.

24 minutes ago, G_H said:

Garbage. team should be made to walk home from arbroath after that.

So glad we strengthened the squad with quality over the summer /s

Think we are going to have to make do with a first Division team playing in the championship ,happy days,bring on the Rovers and Mr Murray,

That was exactly the sort of result I’ve been fearing since we got promoted. I was concerned all along about the lack of decent recruitment and no strength in depth now we’re in a harder league with stronger teams and more experienced players. A lot of this was put on the back burner after our good start but the last 2 or 3 games have been worrying. Just hope we can learn some lessons before the Raith game next week 

I wasn’t there today but McCabe and McMaster has rarely worked together and I don’t think Frizzell works well as a number 10, he’s much better coming from slightly deeper. One of McCabe/McMaster (I think the latter for getting us higher up the park), Aiken as a ball winner who can go up and down and then Frizzell running from deep is a much better fit. 

Just now, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I'm certain players can currently still be brought in on loan provided they're from a higher league but not sure when that period ends.

Yeah, it's literally the one hope I'm holding out. But again time is pressing in, remember the ITK guys on here have been telling us to wind our necks in because quality signings are "on the way" since JUNE!