Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I heard we still had budget to spend, that's why I said it

I sincerely hope you're correct.

5 minutes ago, Passionate said:

one thing I will guarantee if things go Pete tong this season, them the reserve team will be scrapped anyway, no chance that expense can be run by a L1 club of our size..

I'm not a fan in the slightest as I've always believed that in our first season back in the championship that the resources should be channelled to the first team as staying in the league is of prime importance. 

3 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

On an unrelated note I seen the kit man (presumably ex kit man now) gordon in the stands yesterday, assuming he’s now left the club?

Yes, I believe he resigned last week but fair play to him for continuing to support the club.

17 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

My view is that Rae had 0% blame with any of the goals. Forwards running clean through with only the keeper to beat are expecting to score.

And good goalies, which Rae certainly is, would expect to prevent a fair chunk of them. I don't know what average success rate is for 1 on 1s but I'd guess close to 50%. I'm not criticising him for conceding a 1 on 1 in isolation, I'm just saying that I think he makes it too easy by how he commits himself, and adds a huge level of risk of getting sent-off.

I wasn't trying to make some major point, there are far bigger issues and I really like him as a keeper, but it's something I've noticed quite a bit and I get nervous any time a striker goes through on goal because of the way he deals with them.

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

And good goalies, which Rae certainly is, would expect to prevent a fair chunk of them. I don't know what average success rate is for 1 on 1s but I'd guess close to 50%. I'm not criticising him for conceding a 1 on 1 in isolation, I'm just saying that I think he makes it too easy by how he commits himself, and adds a huge level of risk of getting sent-off.

I wasn't trying to make some major point, there are far bigger issues and I really like him as a keeper, but it's something I've noticed quite a bit and I get nervous any time a striker goes through on goal because of the way he deals with them.

I'm sure it will all be analysed with the management team and could others perhaps have done better in the lead up to the goals, maybe, but I prefer to identify the root cause. With regards to the 2nd goal I noticed that the manager berated Watson which leaves me convinced that he'll be warming the bench next week and he may well be sitting adjacent to said manager.

Just now, Kenny_m said:

Yes, I believe he resigned last week but fair play to him for continuing to support the club.

If we suddenly get a brand new ITK account on here at least we know who it'll be 😂 but in all seriousness I hope there aren't issues behind the scenes.

42 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

If we suddenly get a brand new ITK account on here at least we know who it'll be 😂 but in all seriousness I hope there aren't issues behind the scenes.

Looks like he has had fall out after the Dundee United game,maybe manager affecting more than we know. ,

Watching back the goals and the 4th reminds me of Edinburgh’s 3rd goal in that miserable 3-1 defeat there last season. Right at the end of a very poor performance, no one interested in tracking a simple run and players appearing to give up.

For me our worst two performances last season were that 3-1 Edinburgh game and the 3-2 defeat at Queen of the South. I can forgive the nonsense defeats like the 6-0 Edinburgh game, the 4-3 Dunfermline one etc., as they were mostly just bad tactics,  daft errors and were entertainingly bad, but those two I mentioned were just gutless. We put in a big performance the following week after both of those games, so hopefully we see them again next week. We’ll certainly need it against a strong team with plenty of attacking options. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Think there is only one outcome with anyone and the manager ,

I've been asked to clarify that there was no fall out and it was other work and his own u21's coaching commitments had caught up with him.

Gordon remains an ardent supporter of all things Airdrie and will help out again at anytime if required.

3 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I've been asked to clarify that there was no fall out and it was other work and his own u21's coaching commitments had caught up with him.

Gordon remains an ardent supporter of all things Airdrie and will help out again at anytime if required.

There we go then, all  ok. 

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Realistically he was never catching him although admittedly it's not a good look. I'm sure he'll be cringing looking back at this.

The goals we lost were ridiculous, McMaster never tracked the runner (not for the 1st time this season, cost us the Ross County game as well) for the 1st. Watson was weak as pish for the 2nd, the 3rd is an individual error from the manager and ATS doesn't track the runner for the last.

Poor poor goals stemming from the basics of football, win your tackles and go with the runner!

For the first goal, as well as his culpability for the third, McCabe is also standing watching the game go by him and failing to track back. 

McMaster and Aiken when fit and performing should be in our starting 11 with McCabe and Telfer on the bench for situations when required.

If we don't have both of the boys starting next Saturday then there is something far wrong.

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

For the first goal, as well as his culpability for the third

McMaster is tracking the goal scorer then lets McKenna run off him to the back post in the penalty box and is effectively in no mans land. It's almost identical to Ross County's winner in the cup tie and a part of his game n he needs to work on.

Totally agree Aiken should be playing.

Edited by Kenny_m

That was as bad as we’ve been for a long time yesterday. Probably the worst we’ve played under McCabe. Think a few things about the team were exposed yesterday. Namely that McCabe and McMaster can’t play in the same midfield. For me, our best midfield atm is McMaster, Frizzell and Aiken. Agreed with some that McCabe is a better passer and ‘clutch’ player than McMaster, and there will be games and ‘moments’ where he’s required to play. But the aforementioned midfield three gives us a better balance, and IMO moves the ball up the park far quicker which we badly missed yesterday. Whether it’s simply because he’s younger/fitter I also think McMaster’s positioning as a holding midfielder is better than McCabe’s. It wouldn’t have ultimately made a difference but if McMaster had been in that position yesterday rather than McCabe that 3rd goal probably doesn’t happen. It was exposed a few times last season but yesterday McCabe was playing far too deep, which was a huge contributing factor in us not doing anything going forward. That’d be fine if he was at least winning balls/breaking up play and tracking runners but he wasn’t doing that either and it meant Arbroath had loads of space to play in when they were on the ball. Missed Aiken too yesterday in that regard. He’s a good runner, good ball winner and moves the ball forward quickly, none of which our midfield was doing. Our lack of pace at centre-half was exposed too, especially with those two late goals. Haven’t seen enough of Hancock yet to know whether he’s the answer or not in that regard but having a midfield in front of them who wouldn’t leave them so exposed would at least mitigate some of that. 

I like McGregor and O’Connor and think they both have a place in the squad but neither of them are ready or consistent enough to be starters every week for us. I think it was @Passionate who mentioned it previously, but when you consider that they’re essentially the replacements for Smith it’s a massive downgrade. Which is the opposite of what you want as a newly promoted team. So frustrating as I actually thought both of them got into good positions in behind their defence yesterday. But I don’t think McGregor got past a defender once (when he wasn’t running the ball out himself) and O’Connor didn’t even get the chance to get on the ball his touch is that bad. Feels like this should be the priority in the loan market. 

Can’t add anything more on the goals. The defending is pathetic for them all, but especially risible at the third. 

I think Gal is a better holdup player, hence why he’s the starting #9, but think we need to find a way to get Todorov more involved somehow. Last two league games we’ve been chasing goals and he’s come on in the last 10-15 minutes when it’s felt like the momentum and game has already gone. He’s a better player than that role. 

Not panicked or overly worried or angry. But think it’s important we pick up some points in the next couple of games so a rot doesn’t set in and we can (hopefully) build a bit of a gap between us and the bottom 2 or 3. Couple of difficult games coming up. But McCabe has previous for getting a big performance from us after a gutless display, so fingers crossed for the same again next week. Watching a proper #headsgone #Murrayball defeat from the other side could be an all-timer. 

Playing 2 wingers makes no sense when we have all these good midfielders who can play the short passing game that we are best at. The wingers making runs and our centre backs trying to find them with long passes is what we have resorted to over the last few games. Gal is isolated and has been coming into the centre circle to pick the ball up in effect running away from goal and then getting flattened every time.  How many moves end with one of the wingers losing the ball or an attempt to get it to them being cut out?

Get our effective players on the pitch and play the way we are good at. Passing through the other team and moving towards goal not looking back towards the ball being passed along the back line. The transition into attack that we have been good at has failed us as teams have wised up and Arbroath showed how easy it is to stop us playing our football.

4-1-4-1 with McCabe or McMaster in front of the back 4.  I am excited to see McStravick and Frizz gel and Aiken and Telfer might gel also. Gal is going to score goals if we can get the ball to him in the box and he is good at laying off or flicking on to runners but we have to get him in the box. Maybe even give McGill a run as a centre forward.

9 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Playing 2 wingers makes no sense when we have all these good midfielders who can play the short passing game that we are best at. The wingers making runs and our centre backs trying to find them with long passes is what we have resorted to over the last few games. Gal is isolated and has been coming into the centre circle to pick the ball up in effect running away from goal and then getting flattened every time.  How many moves end with one of the wingers losing the ball or an attempt to get it to them being cut out?

Get our effective players on the pitch and play the way we are good at. Passing through the other team and moving towards goal not looking back towards the ball being passed along the back line. The transition into attack that we have been good at has failed us as teams have wised up and Arbroath showed how easy it is to stop us playing our football.

4-1-4-1 with McCabe or McMaster in front of the back 4.  I am excited to see McStravick and Frizz gel and Aiken and Telfer might gel also. Gal is going to score goals if we can get the ball to him in the box and he is good at laying off or flicking on to runners but we have to get him in the box. Maybe even give McGill a run as a centre forward.

McStravick andFrizz will have to stay on the pitch long enough to gel ,don't think I have seen a slower back 4 apart from Ballantine  we are in trouble unless we get some players in ,

Having watched the footage back and everybody giving a half assed autopsy on the game and the McCabe incident, at the time albeit behind the goal,   I thought Fordyce was going to take control of the situation,  did he shout to Rhys and make a mess of it,    where were the rest of the defence McCabe messed up, Fordyce messed up with no defensive cover..  it did remind me of the home defeat to Edinburgh last season...   let's not let Fordyce off Scot free it was shameful defending from him for the 3rd and 4th goals...

Moving forward IMo we have a lot of impact players starting,  players are probably playing above their level,  this was always the risk resigning players that finished 3rd in the league below.  McGregor, O Connor, McGill ,  are the main players who are struggling,   what can we do,  not an awful lot, we need Telfer fit,  Todorov utilised more and, we still have 3 Loanee slots available, do we really think after all this time, we will get the players we really need....  

I don’t think McGregor or O’Connor start for me. They’re both absolutely rapid with little to no end product but they’re the last two players I’d want to see coming on in the 75th minute as an opposing defender. They’re impact players and not starters. 

Overall, I just don’t think we have that one player who can change a game for us (yet). McGill had a bright start against Partick but has been nowhere since. 

Raith on the other hand have one of the strongest squads in the league this season. Not looking forward to Saturday at all 

2 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I don’t think McGregor or O’Connor start for me. They’re both absolutely rapid with little to no end product but they’re the last two players I’d want to see coming on in the 75th minute as an opposing defender. They’re impact players and not starters. 

Overall, I just don’t think we have that one player who can change a game for us (yet). McGill had a bright start against Partick but has been nowhere since. 

Raith on the other hand have one of the strongest squads in the league this season. Not looking forward to Saturday at all 

Actually thot McGill looked lively coming off the bench on Saturday, honestly don’t know how Lewis mcgregor keeps getting picked, couldn’t start for us last year in league 1 but starts every week for us in the championship and he clearly hasn’t improved. Baffling