Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

It was frustrating as it’s not as if we don’t have the players to break through the lines and take risks on the ball. In the first-half we cut them open 2 or 3 times down the left-hand side with one pass. But, whilst I appreciate they were sitting deeper, I don’t think we even tried that again in the second-half. I agree with the view that we’re a ‘first goal’ team but it’s not as if we haven’t managed to come from behind this season either. We did it v Thistle, Ross County and, em, Stirling Uni, the former two being a good example of this team playing this style at their best. 

I can’t remember who he directed it to but I heard McCabe say from the dugout ‘control the ball and we control the game’. I think part of the problem yesterday in terms of not making subs earlier or changing things up was that he saw the possession we had yesterday as control. And whilst that sentence is generally true, and has been for us a few times this season, I don’t think that was the case at all yesterday. We shouldn’t panic and rush or launch the ball up the park either though and TBF when we’re at our best there is that balance between keeping possession and attacking and moving quickly, and I still think that’s the case more often than not. As said above, McCabe has been very good at evolving the team, whilst sticking to #McCabeBall (the team that started and ended last season still played attacking football whilst being much more solid defensively) and I have confidence he’ll be able to fix or change any issues again this season. 

A shame to lose our unbeaten run at home (especially to Ayr) but 12 points with another 3 to play for from the first quarter is a great start. Still serious about giving Willie McLaren a game btw. 

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yesterday was as bad but it could be worse, this happened a year ago today.

27 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

That about gave me a heart attack before I read the date,,,

Facebook memories showed me today it was 5 years ago to the day we sacked Stevie Findlay. So aye, things could definitely be worse! What a run for Joao Victoria though. 

IMG_1453.jpeg

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

I think completely changing the system after our first loss at home might be a slight overreaction.

That being said I wouldn’t mind mcstravick starting over McGill next game.

I am not saying we change the style of play but that we get the players on the pitch who have shown they are better at creating the chances we need within the style.

Ballantyne went to left back and the defence was stronger. Hancock came in at left back and Ballantyne went back to right back with Dycey back to the left of centre and Janny at right centre again everything more solid. These are changes and made our results better. Aiken got a chance and has forced his way into the team because he makes us better. There are still good options for us to try other combinations of players who click together and improve our effectiveness while playing the improved style of football McCabe has us playing. McStravick looks like he might be the next one to come in and improve the team and he looks like he may have the spark we need. If it means dropping Gabby then so be it. I also think we need to drop McMaster for Telfer despite the fact that he has been outstanding in some games but has also not contributed much in the last couple.

The positves from the Ayr game were fairly few but I was totally impressed with McStravick and his ability to put in a great cross. I can see how someone like Todorov in the middle could really benefit from this. I'm sure Rhys has seen this also so hopefully Todorov and McStravick get more minutes, starting with Queen's Park.

Not been on since Saturday and it’s been a refreshing read with loads of positive and constructive opinions. 

For me personally I just took it for granted we would still create enough opportunities and score a lot of goals due to how we played and who was on the park. It was the defensive frailties I was worried about (as I think most of us were). I pictured most of our games being high scoring affairs this season. 

The Hamilton games showed how tough it would be create chances though and I don’t think I gave that enough notice due to the occasion. Even throwing more bodies forward goals will be much harder to come by this season.

I could be wrong here but I think McCabe recognises that and this possession football is as much to protect the game from defeat as it is to create chances. Especially with no real additions to the defence other than Hancock. The slow play doesn’t help going forward but it stifles the opposition. Dundee Utd being the perfect example. We never really looked overly threatening but we never looked out of the game either. I think this is how our season will go. We won’t see the naivety that got us some doings last season but we are not going to score the 3+ goals we were accustomed to last year unless we have a clinical day in front of goal. Most games will be decided by the odd goal and that’s not something we are necessarily used to. 

Again I may be wrong but I think most of us expected to be handed a few doings and also hand out some surprise doings. I don’t think many envisaged a season were most games will be tight and separated by the odd goal. Raith and Morton will consider themselves unlucky and we will consider ourselves unlucky in a lot of games this season. 

There is a few players I thought would step up a level rather easily who haven’t and there are a few I thought would struggle that have surpassed my expectations. We are a lot more worried about McGill now than last season yet a lot more positive about Telfer than we were last season. Could say the same about a few more. 

38 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Not been on since Saturday and it’s been a refreshing read with loads of positive and constructive opinions. 

For me personally I just took it for granted we would still create enough opportunities and score a lot of goals due to how we played and who was on the park. It was the defensive frailties I was worried about (as I think most of us were). I pictured most of our games being high scoring affairs this season. 

The Hamilton games showed how tough it would be create chances though and I don’t think I gave that enough notice due to the occasion. Even throwing more bodies forward goals will be much harder to come by this season.

I could be wrong here but I think McCabe recognises that and this possession football is as much to protect the game from defeat as it is to create chances. Especially with no real additions to the defence other than Hancock. The slow play doesn’t help going forward but it stifles the opposition. Dundee Utd being the perfect example. We never really looked overly threatening but we never looked out of the game either. I think this is how our season will go. We won’t see the naivety that got us some doings last season but we are not going to score the 3+ goals we were accustomed to last year unless we have a clinical day in front of goal. Most games will be decided by the odd goal and that’s not something we are necessarily used to. 

Again I may be wrong but I think most of us expected to be handed a few doings and also hand out some surprise doings. I don’t think many envisaged a season were most games will be tight and separated by the odd goal. Raith and Morton will consider themselves unlucky and we will consider ourselves unlucky in a lot of games this season. 

There is a few players I thought would step up a level rather easily who haven’t and there are a few I thought would struggle that have surpassed my expectations. We are a lot more worried about McGill now than last season yet a lot more positive about Telfer than we were last season. Could say the same about a few more. 

Great post,  pretty much spot on 

Went along to the reserve game yesterday. Deserved win for Killie, who were more clinical and sharper than us at both ends, though I thought 4-1 was a bit harsh. There were periods of the game we were on top, last 10-15 minutes of the first-half and first 10 of the second-half, but we lacked a final ball or better decision making upfront. Played some nice stuff at times, and the McCabeBall philosophy of playing out from the back was apparent. Though I’m not sure some of the players have the confidence or ability to pull it off quite yet. But that will hopefully come with time and coaching. Good to have that continuity throughout our sides (assume the academy teams play the same way). Darren Barr and Alan Gow were coaching the team and were in the dugout, plus another coach I didn’t recognise (didn’t look like Ryan McStay from my vantage point). Thought Elliot Dunlop was comfortably Airdrie’s best player. Played some really nice passes at times, good touch and was always looking to go forward. You could see why McCabe signed him. Feels like a bit of a tricky one for him. He got a lot of time and space on the ball that there’s no chance he’d get in the Championship so I can understand why they wouldn’t think he’s ready or want to chuck him on just yet (and I would agree with that assessment if that is the case). But I’m not sure playing about two games a month for the reserves is great for his development either. Feels like a loan would have been ideal for him. Ally Spalding impressed too and looked robust enough that he could conceivably be on the bench and not just look like a lost wee boy. #6, I think was Willie Thomson, looks an industrious midfielder but I’m pretty sure he’s about 15/16 so we probably won’t see him for a few years yet. 

The goals we conceded were so soft they could be called farcical. The first one reminded me of a lot of the goals we conceded at the start of last season. The Killie boy gets so much space and time to run through the middle of the park before he eventually squared it to Bobby Wales who again had so much time he could genuinely have stood on the ball before having a shot. And that was from the kick-off. The second was a lack of communication between the goalie and the defence at a corner and the fourth the defence was ball-watching. That being said, if there’d been an experienced player playing alongside them, be it an ATS, McCabe or even a Hutton, I’m not sure we lose any of those goals. I know we’ve got a game on Friday so I can understand not risking any this week, and maybe it doesn’t really matter all that much, but I do think an experienced head in defence or in goals would have made a difference. 

Dom Kavanagh showed clever awareness for his goal and it was nice for them to break that duck. 

Don’t think I’ll make any more reserve games this season but it was an enjoyable afternoon. There was a group of Airdrie ultras with a drum and some sort of bedsheet/TIFO type thing. A bit surreal for a reserve game on a Tuesday afternoon but endearing also. Fair play!