Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Time for the champion elect to show their teeth, starting tonight against the jolly old Queens..

I would make a few changes tonight, remember we were pretty abject last time out against Ayr,

Rae 

Megwa

Watson

Fordyce

Hancock

Aiken

Telfer

Frizzell

McStravick

Gallagher

McGregor..

In my opinion McGill has offered nothing most of the season,  our chance creation and execution is very poor and to that matter him with McStravick  and I would replace McMaster with Telfer,   No need for a defensive mid, when Fordyce, Rae et all play keep ball, it is a wasted position and we need a more positive player in the side for that reason..

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Time for the champion elect to show their teeth, starting tonight against the jolly old Queens..

I would make a few changes tonight, remember we were pretty abject last time out against Ayr,

Rae 

Megwa

Watson

Fordyce

Hancock

Aiken

Telfer

Frizzell

McStravick

Gallagher

McGregor..

In my opinion McGill has offered nothing most of the season,  our chance creation and execution is very poor and to that matter him with McStravick  and I would replace McMaster with Telfer,   No need for a defensive mid, when Fordyce, Rae et all play keep ball, it is a wasted position and we need a more positive player in the side for that reason..

Megwa worries me a bit, but I suppose if you're going to play him, at home to a team struggling for form is as good a place as any.

Agree about McGill, after apparently keeping us waiting during the summer and now doubtlessly one of the biggest earners in the squad, he's been poor this season.

Get McStravick in to hopefully create a bit of terror.

6 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Megwa worries me a bit, but I suppose if you're going to play him, at home to a team struggling for form is as good a place as any.

Agree about McGill, after apparently keeping us waiting during the summer and now doubtlessly one of the biggest earners in the squad, he's been poor this season.

Get McStravick in to hopefully create a bit of terror.

Perhaps Rhys is playing the mind games but his pre match interview didn't suggest Ballantyne or ATS would be fit enough therefore, Megwa must play and I would therefore concur with @Passionate starting 11.

11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Megwa worries me a bit

Our best player on the night.

Hancock got better the 2nd half after a horrendous 1st but he might struggle to keep his place when  Ballantyne returns.

Midfield struggled badly. Aiken probably had his worse game in an Airdrie jersey and nothing really happened for Frizz. I'm at a complete loss as to why McMaster is even playing although I suspect he's finally run out of chances.

Little Magic flirted in and out but still looked as if he could make something happen, as he did by setting up Gal.

Agreed on Megwa. I was critical of him after the Ayr game but did say he was up against one of the best wide players in the league and being thrown on as a sub, even that early on, must be tricky. He was excellent tonight though, very strong, won his battles and improved as the game went on. Dom Thomas was barely in the game. If he can keep that up then him and Ballantyne will be a formidable pair of full backs. 

Aiken was uncharacteristically poor but even then had two great runs where the ball just didn’t fall for him. Telfer did very well when he replaced him, we were struggling at that point but his composure and experience turned the game for a bit. He’s definitely due a start next week.

Todorov made a decent impact too, it was a shame he never got a goal at the end. If we can get more crosses into the box when he’s on we might get a bit more out of him when he’s playing.

Overall though, four wins, one draw and four defeats is a fairly strong start given we didn’t strengthen hugely over the summer. There’s definitely room for improvement, and it’s frustrating to only take one point from the last two home games, but more positives than negatives over the nine games so far.

Hard to know how to judge the first quarter. 13 points per quarter would have us easily in mid-table, maybe 4th spot, which would be great. I also wouldn't say we've played particularly well so far, we've had moments or spells of quality but I can't remember a game where I'd say we've dominated and played really well. Therefore getting the points we have, with basically last season's team and without doing anythijg special is pretty good going. And suggests that of we can 'click' then we'll have a good season.

However I'm increasingly worried about how few chances we are making. Losing goals like tonight is only excusable if that style pays off by creating lots of chances, but if it doesn't then effectively you are taking big risks for no real rewards. Once or twice a game we pass through and create something (like Raith and Morton games) but it's rare and is not a realistic way of expecting to score enough goals over a season.

I'd like to see Telfer in instead of one of the deeper lying midfielders as I think that would allow us to be a bit more progressive through midfield. And I think we do need to mix it up at times just to keep the opposition guessing, we're so predictable that teams can take their pick - either sit back and watch us passing the ball about (usually the preferred option if they are winning), or if they are losing press us high up the pitch and force an error like tonight.

I think most people would have happily taken 13 points from the first quarter when the season started so we shouldn't be too critical or negative, but we're going to need to improve as the season goes on and teams work out how to play us.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Hard to know how to judge the first quarter. 13 points per quarter would have us easily in mid-table, maybe 4th spot, which would be great. I also wouldn't say we've played particularly well so far, we've had moments or spells of quality but I can't remember a game where I'd say we've dominated and played really well. Therefore getting the points we have, with basically last season's team and without doing anythijg special is pretty good going. And suggests that of we can 'click' then we'll have a good season.

However I'm increasingly worried about how few chances we are making. Losing goals like tonight is only excusable if that style pays off by creating lots of chances, but if it doesn't then effectively you are taking big risks for no real rewards. Once or twice a game we pass through and create something (like Raith and Morton games) but it's rare and is not a realistic way of expecting to score enough goals over a season.

I'd like to see Telfer in instead of one of the deeper lying midfielders as I think that would allow us to be a bit more progressive through midfield. And I think we do need to mix it up at times just to keep the opposition guessing, we're so predictable that teams can take their pick - either sit back and watch us passing the ball about (usually the preferred option if they are winning), or if they are losing press us high up the pitch and force an error like tonight.

I think most people would have happily taken 13 points from the first quarter when the season started so we shouldn't be too critical or negative, but we're going to need to improve as the season goes on and teams work out how to play us.

I’m hoping that this is something that evolves over the next quarter. McCabe did make small changes to our style throughout last season which had a pretty big impact. I can see why he’s changed things this season but it’s probably gone a bit too far the other way. I think I’ve read somewhere that we have the fewest shots in the league, which is a real change from being the highest scorers outside the old firm last season. That was never going to be replicated at a higher level but finding that balance could be they difference between a relegation battle and a really positive season. 

4 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

It's fair to say he's been disappointing.

I’d agree overall. I think he’d have been well suited to our style last year against weaker teams but he’s not great in possession and has a lot to learn tactically. He’s made a great impact a couple of times to be fair, winning the penalty against Dundee and then winning the penalty and scoring the equaliser against Ross County. I still think he’s a decent option to have but I’d have brought McGill on ahead of him tonight.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’m hoping that this is something that evolves over the next quarter. McCabe did make small changes to our style throughout last season which had a pretty big impact. I can see why he’s changed things this season but it’s probably gone a bit too far the other way. I think I’ve read somewhere that we have the fewest shots in the league, which is a real change from being the highest scorers outside the old firm last season. That was never going to be replicated at a higher level but finding that balance could be they difference between a relegation battle and a really positive season. 

I think up a league, and without knowing how we'd cope, he's put huge emphasis on 'controlling the game' to ensure that we aren't out our depth, and to be fair to him we haven't been. However what tonight showed perfectly, from both teams, was that 'controlling' the game by having possession doesn't mean you aren't going to concede, and doesn't mean that you'll create many chances. The 2 best chances tonight were from defensive errors.

Last season was much more dynamic and direct with our passing. Obviously the teams were much worse but even just the intent seemed different. This season we seem totally focused on keeping the ball, and if that happens to result in an opening 15-20 passes later then great, but there doesn't seem the same urgency. Numerous times a game we have Rae or the defenders literally standing still with the ball at their feet for 5 seconds which removes any tempo from the game and gives us the illusion of control, but as we saw tonight 5 seconds later the ball can be in our own net.

It's picked us up enough points so far and perhaps the alternative would be worse, but I can't help but think we've gone a bit too far in this direction. We seem to take big risks in our own third but then take less risks the further up the pitch we go, which seems upside down to me.

If you offered me 4th place after the first quarter I would've definitely bitten your hand off for that! 

I thought Megwa was excellent tonight, dealt extremely well with everything that came towards him and looked good going forward.

For the goal it was great work from Magic pressing the defender into a mistake and a composed finish from Gal.

For the goal we conceded it was very sloppy and I think Josh Rae was far too casual on the ball, I'm very much enjoying our style of football but on occasion we do need to mix it up and be a little more direct at times.

I thought a draw was the fair result overall but can't say I'll ever be in a hurry to watch that game back again.

13 points from 9 games in a higher league against better opposition without making too many changes over the summer is very promising.

The league doesn't lie and we have 13 points after the first quarter,   I tend to look at recent results and performances and they have been a struggle to be honest,, I think Rhys knows we have players probably playing a level above themselves therefore if we have the ball you cannot score mantra until of course we gift the ball to the opposition.

Tonight showed our main issue and flaws and that is the midfield and setup,  Queens passed through our lines all night, that was there strength and played a much more drilled possession based passing game than we did..

Playing with a deep lying midfielder and 2 wingers on a big pitch, leaves a hell of a lot of ground to make up for your attacking mid and sole striker,  it is easy to understand why chances and therefore goals are at a premium.

The subs Telfer and Todorov especially were very good,  Telfers speed of passing and mobility instantly improved our midfield and Todorov with his energy and the ability to win and compete for second balls,  Gall is Gall, he scores goals and sometimes not a lot else,  could we somehow shoehorn Todorov up top beside Gall and sacrifice McGregor,  and introduce Telfer in front of Aiken,  doubt it will happen Rhys seems determined to play with 2 wide players all the time..

We need to change it up, use the squad or we will be very lucky to get 13 points on the next quarter.

that's 2 points dropped rather than 1 gained after losing an absolute comedy goal.

Like the rest of you, was impressed by Megwa - first time Ive been able to see him in action. The younger forwards need to run at defenders and take their chances rather than wait for passes

9 hours ago, David Fernández said:

If you offered me 4th place after the first quarter I would've definitely bitten your hand off for that! 

I thought Megwa was excellent tonight, dealt extremely well with everything that came towards him and looked good going forward.

For the goal it was great work from Magic pressing the defender into a mistake and a composed finish from Gal.

For the goal we conceded it was very sloppy and I think Josh Rae was far too casual on the ball, I'm very much enjoying our style of football but on occasion we do need to mix it up and be a little more direct at times.

I thought a draw was the fair result overall but can't say I'll ever be in a hurry to watch that game back again.

13 points from 9 games in a higher league against better opposition without making too many changes over the summer is very promising.

Josh did have a great save to keep us in the game ,the goal once again came from over passing in our penalty box crazy stuff ,to many times last night it ended with Josh having to clear it and the ball being won by opposition,good point to win  though considering the weather ,