Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Recruitment was and still is an Achilles heal for Rhys,   all signings to me seem to be an agenda if either being signed up by Consilium when they sign or sign up when we sign them, is this a prerequisite requirement or just coincidence....  

That's scary Todorov, Hancock and McStravick are the 3 players scouted as quality signings .. 

Let's be honest the majority of us, knew we were short,  and I am led to believe the budget was not spent before the window closed ..  all we can do is battle away, every point has to be fought for,   Rhys is feeling the heat and has never reacted to criticism before....  

If Rhys thinks this team can finish anywhere near top of league ,we are in trouble ,

Decent spell at the end of the first half and important to remember we were up against the best team in our division there. But that’s what? One point from our last four games? And if we’re being honest, most of us won’t be expecting a result away to Raith Rovers at the weekend. Obviously we had a poor run last season but it will be harder to bounce back this time against stronger opposition.

I think the main frustration and worry is that we have one way of playing and everyone now has that sussed out. We do need a bit more creativity to play the way McCabe wants us to imo. Don’t get me wrong I think there’s quality in the squad; Rae scares me sometimes but he’s a good keeper and he is good on the ball most of the time even if he makes an arse of it on occasion, Ballantyne’s quality and I’ve been really impressed with Megwa, there’s a player in McStravick but he needs a bit more match experience imo. Others may disagree but I think we’re a better team with McMaster in. Frizzell hasn’t been at it last few weeks imo, but hopefully he gets back to his best as I have no doubt he’s good enough for this level when he gets going. I like him at right back but I don’t rate Watson at centre back at all. I’m still hoping there’s scope to add a bit of quality in January as I do think we could do with it all over the park. We don’t really have a commanding centre half that can drag us through a game or a dominating midfielder that can fire the team up and take control of the midfield or a forward that has the ability to change the game with a bit of magic. Obviously I’m not expecting us to have all three of those as a newly promoted team. Other teams do have one or two of those types of players though. We don’t really have individuals that are capable of single-handedly changing the game at this level.

Meant to add and to be fair I don’t think I’m really adding anything that we aren’t all aware of. We are probably the least streetwise team in our league. I know nobody “likes” to see time wasting, cynical fouls, going down easy to look for a foul etc, but we let teams (especially when we’re behind) do this and I would like to see a bit more fire and aggression from us at times. It’s maybe not nice but sometimes you need assert a bit of physicality on a game to fire up the crowd and your teammates, especially considering how low-energy we appear to be when chasing a game.

36 minutes ago, G_H said:

Things not looking so good at the moment. I hope Rhys has a plan to change things around rather than just more of the same.

Listening to his interview he was bemoaning hitting Todorov earlier getting us up the pitch, which was working in the first half,  he wanted more control like the second half,  I know which is more effective and caused the opposition more trouble and it wasn't the second half controlled possession .

34 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Every single post-match interview consists of McCabe saying “we controlled possession/ said to the boys in there/ we dominated/ that’s how I want my team to play/ we dominated”.

You didn’t dominate the game if you lost 2-0. 

Your right,you can have plenty of possession but doing nothing but passing sideways there's no point ,

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Listening to his interview he was bemoaning hitting Todorov earlier getting us up the pitch, which was working in the first half,  he wanted more control like the second half,  I know which is more effective and caused the opposition more trouble and it wasn't the second half controlled possession .

Yeah, I was fairly positive last night but mostly about our slight change in style. Hard to tell how much to read into it but slightly concerning if that’s the bit he didn’t think worked.

4 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Meant to add and to be fair I don’t think I’m really adding anything that we aren’t all aware of. We are probably the least streetwise team in our league. I know nobody “likes” to see time wasting, cynical fouls, going down easy to look for a foul etc, but we let teams (especially when we’re behind) do this and I would like to see a bit more fire and aggression from us at times. It’s maybe not nice but sometimes you need assert a bit of physicality on a game to fire up the crowd and your teammates, especially considering how low-energy we appear to be when chasing a game.

Last night really showed up the difference in maturity of the sides. What typified it for me was young Dunlop tearing down the wing to put a cross in and the Utd defender had hands on his back. That was the cue to go down and let the ref make the decision. Dunlop continued and the ball ran out of play, parly due to his inexperience but more his desire to show what he could do. Rhys is no mug and you are right, we have to be more streetwise. Just take a leaf ot of Cammy's book to see how he 'manages' the opposition.

13 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Hate to be ‘that guy’ but we are top half despite being newly promoted and favourites for relegation. We went on a run that was worse than this in league 1 last year and things turned out not too bad. Can we at least wait until after Christmas to start shitting the bed?

Best not to say it as it is then ,games played will catch up with us soon ,

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst we need to start picking up points, soon, it's always better to have them and everyone below us can't all win.

Or can't all get beat, seriously your right we need to pick up a win or even a draw,maybe Sat we are the only team to beat Raith,a Surprise 1 -2 would do nicely,

25 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Hopeful of a Dunfermline win tonight at Morton & Dundee Utd to do likewise to ICT or is it to early in the season to be looking at the other results?

I would like to retain the point differential with the bottom clubs!

Really needing to take care of our own results and we will be just fine,just said to the boys in there so we will be fine ,

Looking at things statistically, it’s taken an average of 35.2 points to stay in the Championship in 8th place over the last 5 seasons (the one anomaly being the 19-20 Covid season where QotS stayed up in 9th with 1.00 point per game, so take that as 36 points and no play off). I think we’ll be there or there abouts. My worry is that over the first quarter Inverness & Morton were far and away the worst sides and now they look like they might have turned a corner.

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Looking at things statistically, it’s taken an average of 35.2 points to stay in the Championship in 8th place over the last 5 seasons (the one anomaly being the 19-20 Covid season where QotS stayed up in 9th with 1.00 point per game, so take that as 36 points and no play off). I think we’ll be there or there abouts. My worry is that over the first quarter Inverness & Morton were far and away the worst sides and now they look like they might have turned a corner.

3 points tomorrow would be a great result and go a long way to boost moral,all the best to team ,

Interesting lineup, reckon we’ll miss Dycey but hope we cope without him. Probably the most defensive looking lineup under McCabe considering he’s playing himself plus 5 recognised defenders. Could be a 5-4-1 but I wouldn’t be totally surprised to see Megwa playing in midfield since he’s drifted in there a lot while playing right back but most likely like a 5 considering the lack of wide players starting.

18 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Interesting lineup, reckon we’ll miss Dycey but hope we cope without him. Probably the most defensive looking lineup under McCabe considering he’s playing himself plus 5 recognised defenders. Could be a 5-4-1 but I wouldn’t be totally surprised to see Megwa playing in midfield since he’s drifted in there a lot while playing right back but most likely like a 5 considering the lack of wide players starting.

I thought the same but the warm up makes it look like this:

Rae
Ballantyne - Watson - ATS - Hancock
McCabe - McMaster
Megwa - Telfer - Frizzell
Todorov