Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Today did nothing to dissuade me that beyond our core group who are absolutely capable at this level we have absolutely nothing. Desperate for another defender, central midfielder and a winger or two in January.

It does suggest that that our squad can't cope with injuries to Ballantyne, Aiken, McGregor and Telfer.

Really poor performance today. I’d have McMaster, Megwa and Hancock as my only pass marks. Watson and Frizz were hopeless and I think both were asked to play a bit higher up than their ideal positions. Gallagher is clearly better than Todorov so should be starting going forward.

Obviously not ideal with Aiken, Telfer, Ballantyne, McGregor out as well but there’s still enough quality there for a better performance than that imo.

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Really poor performance today. I’d have McMaster, Megwa and Hancock as my only pass marks. Watson and Frizz were hopeless and I think both were asked to play a bit higher up than their ideal positions. Gallagher is clearly better than Todorov so should be starting going forward.

Obviously not ideal with Aiken, Telfer, Ballantyne, McGregor out as well but there’s still enough quality there for a better performance than that imo.

Add manager to that and you have 5 players that would start most weeks ,

9 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Hancock was fantastic but I thought Megwa had his worst game for us albeit playing out of position. McMaster just never does it for me but him and Gav Gal are too similar to play together although that was obviously the plan with Frizz 10 yards further forward than them.

All teams will be a bit worse with 3 or 4 starters missing, but I don't buy that as the major issue here. Ballantyne is a huge loss but we're never going to have a player as good as him waiting in reserve so I'm not sure what people expect there. Apart from McGregor we have all our attacking options available and they are a mile off the standard needed for this league (Gal excepted, if given service) which is why we are continually in games but lose them by 1 goal. McGregor has done okay this season but the fact that a 19 year old who couldn't get a game for us in League 1 is seen as a massive loss probably tells us all.

Our goals against record is 5th, our goals scored is joint last, this despite us having lots of possession in most games. The only conclusion to draw from that is our attacking options aren't good enough. Filling out the squad with more squad options isn't going to help us here, we need a couple quality attacking additions - clearly a lot easier said than done.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

I thought we played ok today until the first goal. Still the usual issues in the final third but our play was a bit quicker and while nothing really came off, we looked slightly more threatening. Once we conceded the (as usual very soft) goal though we were out of ideas and contributed nothing going forward for the rest of the game.

I think we clearly do miss the injured players. McMaster and Gallagher were ok today but neither provide the energy that Aiken does or progress the ball forward quite as well as Telfer. Likewise with McGregor, as I said last week we really miss his pace as an option but that’s more due to the ability of O’Connor, Dunlop etc.

We’re in a bad habit of playing ok, conceding a goal and then not being able to recover from it. I don’t think it’s a mentality issue, just a real lack of spark and creativity going forward. I’m not sure how we address that with the current squad other than scoring the first goal which generally helps us.

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

All teams will be a bit worse with 3 or 4 starters missing, but I don't buy that as the major issue here. Ballantyne is a huge loss but we're never going to have a player as good as him waiting in reserve so I'm not sure what people expect there. Apart from McGregor we have all our attacking options available and they are a mile off the standard needed for this league (Gal excepted, if given service) which is why we are continually in games but lose them by 1 goal. McGregor has done okay this season but the fact that a 19 year old who couldn't get a game for us in League 1 is seen as a massive loss probably tells us all.

Our goals against record is 5th, our goals scored is joint last, this despite us having lots of possession in most games. The only conclusion to draw from that is our attacking options aren't good enough. Filling out the squad with more squad options isn't going to help us here, we need a couple quality attacking additions - clearly a lot easier said than done.

Agree, although the way Rhys is trying to play his fullbacks now, I don't think suits Ballantyne either, playing them so high , don't know why we are changing when it was working previously to an extent

29 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Hancock was fantastic but I thought Megwa had his worst game for us albeit playing out of position. McMaster just never does it for me but him and Gav Gal are too similar to play together although that was obviously the plan with Frizz 10 yards further forward than them.

Megwa  was Mom ?? Fans see things differently,

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I thought we played ok today until the first goal. Still the usual issues in the final third but our play was a bit quicker and while nothing really came off, we looked slightly more threatening. Once we conceded the (as usual very soft) goal though we were out of ideas and contributed nothing going forward for the rest of the game.

I think we clearly do miss the injured players. McMaster and Gallagher were ok today but neither provide the energy that Aiken does or progress the ball forward quite as well as Telfer. Likewise with McGregor, as I said last week we really miss his pace as an option but that’s more due to the ability of O’Connor, Dunlop etc.

We’re in a bad habit of playing ok, conceding a goal and then not being able to recover from it. I don’t think it’s a mentality issue, just a real lack of spark and creativity going forward. I’m not sure how we address that with the current squad other than scoring the first goal which generally helps us.

Any word on why Telfer was missing, he wasn't on the injury report on Thursday night

29 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

McGregor has done okay this season but the fact that a 19 year old who couldn't get a game for us in League 1 is seen as a massive loss probably tells us all.

Whilst McGregor has his limitations, his pace is invaluable and he was more often than not our out ball from the back. I think he's improved greatly since last season.

The loss of Murray Aiken is a massive being our "different midfielder" and his ability to win the ball back and get us forward was highlighted today.

Don’t know why anyone isn’t talking about ATS, he was at fault for their 2 goals, could’ve been their 3rd if they had taken it, he was hopeless today. Only 2 players with pass marks today, Megwa and Deano, both players week in week out try their hardest and perform, the rest seem like passengers. Today must of been Dyces worst game in a while aswell sadly. Needing to drop Friz and Toddy as both have been ineffective aswell 

27 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst McGregor has his limitations, his pace is invaluable and he was more often than not our out ball from the back. I think he's improved greatly since last season.

The loss of Murray Aiken is a massive being our "different midfielder" and his ability to win the ball back and get us forward was highlighted today.

Small sample size but using league games, when Aiken has played at least 45 minutes our record is W4 D1 L3 (two of those defeats were Dundee United). When he’s played less than 45 minutes or not at all it’s W1 D1 L5.

That wouldn’t be us joint bottom of the goals scored in the league table would it? I thought our attacking options in Gallagher, McGill and Todorov were adequate in this league according to many posters on here?

We’re in big trouble if we don’t get some serious attackers in or at least different attackers. Gallagher, McGill and Todorov are much and the same (slow, laboured, poor control)

2 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

That wouldn’t be us joint bottom of the goals scored in the league table would it? I thought our attacking options in Gallagher, McGill and Todorov were adequate in this league according to many posters on here?

We’re in big trouble if we don’t get some serious attackers in or at least different attackers. Gallagher, McGill and Todorov are much and the same (slow, laboured, poor control)

I think near enough everyone agrees with the general point that we’re struggling in attack to be fair. McGill has been poor, Todorov has his uses but has struggled so far and doesn’t seem a great fit, Gallagher will score given chances (we can agree to disagree there). 

The bigger issue is the creativity around them. We don’t score enough goals but I think that’s largely because we don’t have much in attacking midfield areas. Frizzell has had a poor season, McStravick has moments but is still young, McGregor has pace but beyond that we are particularly weak there. He’s not necessarily a creative player in the classic sense but put Callum Smith in this team and we create a lot more chances. We’re not missing loads of great chances every week, so unless we can sign someone who can create their own chances and finish them then I think it’s slightly further back and out wide where we really need to improve.

13 hours ago, Passionate said:

Any word on why Telfer was missing, he wasn't on the injury report on Thursday night

That's happened a few times this season although don't really have an issue with it as the manager doesn't want to give too much away.

12 hours ago, airdrie_3 said:

Don’t know why anyone isn’t talking about ATS, he was at fault for their 2 goals, could’ve been their 3rd if they had taken it, he was hopeless today. Only 2 players with pass marks today, Megwa and Deano, both players week in week out try their hardest and perform, the rest seem like passengers. Today must of been Dyces worst game in a while aswell sadly. Needing to drop Friz and Toddy as both have been ineffective aswell 

Yes, whilst ATS reads the game well, his lack of pace is there for all to see.

9 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think near enough everyone agrees with the general point that we’re struggling in attack to be fair. McGill has been poor, Todorov has his uses but has struggled so far and doesn’t seem a great fit, Gallagher will score given chances (we can agree to disagree there). 

The bigger issue is the creativity around them. We don’t score enough goals but I think that’s largely because we don’t have much in attacking midfield areas. Frizzell has had a poor season, McStravick has moments but is still young, McGregor has pace but beyond that we are particularly weak there. He’s not necessarily a creative player in the classic sense but put Callum Smith in this team and we create a lot more chances. We’re not missing loads of great chances every week, so unless we can sign someone who can create their own chances and finish them then I think it’s slightly further back and out wide where we really need to improve.

Mate, there's no point arguing with "stupid" on here or producing facts about individual players. Some folk are just moany b*stards, and won't accept they're wrong 😂

10 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Aye,that's what was said,our forwards would improve most teams in our league, Apart from Gal who will score a few we have zero strike power ,