Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

A much needed win today and an excellent second half performance. 

Positives: 

- We scored from a corner. I can’t remember the last time we did? Surely been a while. 

- Todorov scored. He was bound to score one of his many efforts but that was arguably his toughest opportunity yet and he took it really well. Hopefully more to come for the big chap. Also a big fan of him shooshing the QP fans. Love that shit.

Areas to improve

- We need to ensure we start both halves with maximum effort. That’s been a few games now where our first half has been poor but we’ve picked things up in the second (albeit we are usually chasing the game at that point). Hopefully we can get a bit of consistency going.

10 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

A much needed win today and an excellent second half performance. 

Positives: 

- We scored from a corner. I can’t remember the last time we did? Surely been a while. 

- Todorov scored. He was bound to score one of his many efforts but that was arguably his toughest opportunity yet and he took it really well. Hopefully more to come for the big chap. Also a big fan of him shooshing the QP fans. Love that shit.

Areas to improve

- We need to ensure we start both halves with maximum effort. That’s been a few games now where our first half has been poor but we’ve picked things up in the second (albeit we are usually chasing the game at that point). Hopefully we can get a bit of consistency going.

Think the last time we scored from a corner was Todorov at Raith? I think that and Watson at Dunfermline might be the only ones this season though.

We’ve both been critical of Todorov but as you say, he took that goal really well. I’ll be delighted if he kicks on a bit now and proves me wrong.

The January fixtures are really interesting. On paper (and if you're a gambler) then it looks like a return of between 1 and 3 points and a cup exit, given the only game we should really fancy ourselves in is against ICT, however, if we can take 6 or more points then the traditional post January Airdrie momentum will really start to motor. 

We have to fancy ourselves to be competitive and given the injury issues currently at some of our rivals compared to our squad now coming back towards being fully fit then this may be a pivotal 4/5 weeks in the season.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

The January fixtures are really interesting. On paper (and if you're a gambler) then it looks like a return of between 1 and 3 points and a cup exit, given the only game we should really fancy ourselves in is against ICT, however, if we can take 6 or more points then the traditional post January Airdrie momentum will really start to motor. 

We have to fancy ourselves to be competitive and given the injury issues currently at some of our rivals compared to our squad now coming back towards being fully fit then this may be a pivotal 4/5 weeks in the season.

Definitely some interesting games. Wotherspoon went off injured for Inverness yesterday, so it would be a big boost if he’s not playing on Tuesday. We’ve done very well against Raith this season, two very tight games and we’re still the only team to beat them. Dunfermline have lots of key injuries just now but they could have Jim Leishman and Sammy the Tammy up front and they’d still take points off us. It’s amazing how much better you feel about these games though after a last minute winner.

Wonder if we'll see the pen much this January, we certainly need a few players but there will be a lot of other teams in the same market. Reading around other clubs threads on here Morton, Arbroath, QP and Inverness all talking about needing 3-4 players, with so many teams within a few points of each other a lot could rest on adding some quality this window.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned. Anyone know how long Aitken is actually out for?

Also happy new year ya warmers ❤️♦️

Initially McCabe stated Aiken was out for 3 months which suggests it's end of January although never seen an update since.

2 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Wonder if we'll see the pen much this January, we certainly need a few players but there will be a lot of other teams in the same market. Reading around other clubs threads on here Morton, Arbroath, QP and Inverness all talking about needing 3-4 players, with so many teams within a few points of each other a lot could rest on adding some quality this window.

Pretty unanimous opinion that we need to strengthen and the manager has already stated he has a "wish" list. I'm sure Aiken & Ballantyne's injuries are being evaluated as that could play a part in potential signing targets but a couple of players who walk straight into the starting 11 is required. We might have to push the boat out a little to secure these types but if its enough to keep us in the league then its worth it.

1 hour ago, moses1924 said:

Also need to think about the loan players, need to keep Megwa, happy to see O'Connor go back.

They're all on season long loans and very unlikely Hibs will be in a rush to recall O'Connor who has struggled or Aiken because of injury. Megwa perhaps, but their manager brought in Miller, a full back from his previous club therefore again unlikely. It looks like a step down a league would be benefit O'Connor but perhaps others see it differently although it's a conversation that could be had.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Pretty unanimous opinion that we need to strengthen and the manager has already stated he has a "wish" list. I'm sure Aiken & Ballantyne's injuries are being evaluated as that could play a part in potential signing targets but a couple of players who walk straight into the starting 11 is required. We might have to push the boat out a little to secure these types but if its enough to keep us in the league then its worth it.

They're all on season long loans and very unlikely Hibs will be in a rush to recall O'Connor who has struggled or Aiken because of injury. Megwa perhaps, but their manager brought in Miller, a full back from his previous club therefore again unlikely. It looks like a step down a league would be benefit O'Connor but perhaps others see it differently although it's a conversation that could be had.

100% 

It's a speculate to accumulate season, there's not a lot between the sides in the league at all as other results prove.

9 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

100% 

It's a speculate to accumulate season, there's not a lot between the sides in the league at all as other results prove.

All teams will try to improve their sides,  and no doubt have to push the boat out,  the finances between championship and L1  are massive ,   our recruitment continues to be sketchy at best,  Rhys having a wish list is great,  getting the business done is the hard part,  injuries aside we still need at least 2 starters...  Not heard any rumours although the Consilium list will be getting carefully followed.

Onwards and upwards

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

You would think he would have some commitment to Airdrie,

Why? He's a Hibs player trying to make it at Hibs. He's up to match sharpness so a good training camp could see him getting first team opportunities in the second half of the season. It's not really up to him anyway, if he's asked/told he's going to Dubai then he doesn't have much choice as an employee of the club.

He'd be a big loss but if Ballantyne is back around the same time then that would make up for it, no idea when he is back though?

It's been said by everyone but a couple of quality signings are needed, particularly in attacking areas. However given the lack of signings under McCabe I'd be surprised if we signed anyone, plus getting that quality in January is extremely difficult. It's crucial that if we are signing players we go and get them this week instead of waiting until late January though.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Why? He's a Hibs player trying to make it at Hibs. He's up to match sharpness so a good training camp could see him getting first team opportunities in the second half of the season. It's not really up to him anyway, if he's asked/told he's going to Dubai then he doesn't have much choice as an employee of the club.

He'd be a big loss but if Ballantyne is back around the same time then that would make up for it, no idea when he is back though?

It's been said by everyone but a couple of quality signings are needed, particularly in attacking areas. However given the lack of signings under McCabe I'd be surprised if we signed anyone, plus getting that quality in January is extremely difficult. It's crucial that if we are signing players we go and get them this week instead of waiting until late January though.

I think McCabe said Ballantyne would be out for about six weeks in the pre-match interview before the Stranraer game, so guessing the Dunfermline game at best?

Ballantyne is our best all-round full back and it’ll be great having him back but we haven’t missed him as much as I feared when Megwa and Hancock are both available. Those three are probably as good as you’ll realistically get for full-back options on our budget, with Watson capable too. Having two of them unavailable is a blow though. I did notice Hibs right back got called up for the Asian Cup so could see Megwa going back for a month or so and then rejoining later on but that uncertainty wouldn’t be ideal.

9 hours ago, Mr November said:

I did notice Hibs right back got called up for the Asian Cup so could see Megwa going back for a month or so and then rejoining later on but that uncertainty wouldn’t be ideal.

Ah, that could be a game changer especially as their next in line RB, Chris Cadden hasn't played yet this season due to injury. I'm no longer confident of retaining him but hopefully we can until the Scottish Cup fixtures on the 20th giving Ballantyne time to recover.