Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, Ballboy said:

With loans it's really done on an individual basis.   Some loan deals have all kinds of add ons.   Like if the player can be recalled at anytime or only in transfer window.  Some have guaranteed game time. Ultimately I'd think with our deals it pays long term not to break ties with any club we loan a player from. If he's their player and want him back then so be it.  I'd rather keep the good terms with hibs and maybe get a few more In the future.  

I think we must be one of the most attractive clubs in the country for loans at the moment. A manager who trusts young players, a team playing good football and a team who are successful with every game being pretty challenging too. I’m sure that will be a factor in the Megwa decision, if he was out on loan at a club which didn’t test or develop him it might be an easier decision for Hibs.

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/scottish-edition/sport/football/338629/special-report-mccabes-rough-diamonds-are-shining-bright-in-the-championship?preview=1

Good article here on McCabe and more generally the progress the club have made in the last few years. Good input from @AirdrieFanTV and @CapitalDiamond

The journo trawling these pages...tinpot... 😂

Edited by cb_diamond

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I think we must be one of the most attractive clubs in the country for loans at the moment.

There was an item in a Hibs fan media website, featuring an interview with their Head of Youth, saying that he likes sending players to Airdrie because we over play, and it forces their young players to make the right decisions under pressure to develop within Rhys’ system.

Put bluntly, I can’t imagine we’d be getting the same loan players & plaudits if we were playing Gary Bollan-ball.

EDIT: The article is at this link, albeit behind a paywall. Easy to get round if you know how.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

14 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

There was an item in a Hibs fan media website, featuring an interview with their Head of Youth, saying that he likes sending players to Airdrie because we over play, and it forces their young players to make the right decisions under pressure to develop within Rhys’ system.

Put bluntly, I can’t imagine we’d be getting the same loan players & plaudits if we were playing Gary Bollan-ball.

EDIT: The article is at this link, albeit behind a paywall. Easy to get round if you know how.

We've done pretty well with Hibs loans this season.  Three loans, two have been excellent and one not really up to much.  It's annoying to have had Aiken out for so long, but two out of three ain't bad, as Meat Loaf said. 

27 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Anyone else like to get excited about things that have a 95% chance of being nothing?

Megwa has taken hibs out of his Instagram bio and has put up a story of him warming up in an Airdrie kit.

He's went further than that. (Obviously with the provisio that it's probably nothing)

Screenshot_20240113-182635~2.png

Edited by cb_diamond

15 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Anyone else like to get excited about things that have a 95% chance of being nothing?

Megwa has taken hibs out of his Instagram bio and has put up a story of him warming up in an Airdrie kit.

If you’re away with your parent club then why on earth would you remove them from your bio if you were still with them? Megwa to Airdrie on a two year deal 

6 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

If you’re away with your parent club then why on earth would you remove them from your bio if you were still with them? Megwa to Airdrie on a two year deal 

I would be delighted if this was true but he's contracted until the end of next season at Hibs therefore you would expect a fee to be involved which would probably rule us out. The only glimmer of hope is that he wasn't signed by the present Hibs manager and perhaps he simply doesn't fancy him.

Halfway through the transfer window and no activity.

Retaining Megwa seems to be the most talked about subject and surely Hibs will make a decision this week. Other than that there appears no rumours of us being linked with anyone on the socials.

9 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Halfway through the transfer window and no activity.

Retaining Megwa seems to be the most talked about subject and surely Hibs will make a decision this week. Other than that there appears no rumours of us being linked with anyone on the socials.

Unusual or is it,  McCabe on one of his recent interviews on DTV was very coy when mentioning he had a wish list for the newly opened transfer window.  Since then nothing,  I think we will announce Megwa in a big way till end of the season,  (he is on a season loan anyway) it's all smoke and mirrors,    Teams below us are panicking big style Ayr, Arbroath and QP all having new managers with Arbroath and QP strengthening and Ayr will probably have to do the same after binning Bullen..

This league changes very quickly , things have been very good recently,  but the same squad issues remain the same..  Come the end of the season, we don't want to have any regrets and a couple of additional options this window, will certainly help us no doubt about it..

32 minutes ago, Passionate said:

This league changes very quickly , things have been very good recently,  but the same squad issues remain the same..  Come the end of the season, we don't want to have any regrets and a couple of additional options this window, will certainly help us no doubt about it.

This is what concers me, all the teams below us who are we will be looking to finish above us, QP, Ayr, Arbroath, ICT have now changed managers and will look to strengthen or already have. Our squad is still basicly a league one squad and although McCabe has done exceptionally well adding even one player of a quality above what we have could be the difference in staying up.

A few years back Dunfermline made an illegal approach to at least one of our players (Joe Cardle?). When the then manager Kenny Black found out he understandably blew a gasket and dropped the player(s) in question due to their lack of commitment to Airdrie and they eventually left before the season end.

In the meantime we obviously reported DAFC- can anyone on here remember this and what the outcome was?

Just wonder how long the Megwa saga is going to drag on for. I realise he is a Hibs player but do feel that we are being messed around a bit here with the constant “will/wont they recall him” that’s being played out at the moment.

Hopefully it won’t come to this but can foresee a situation where the days keeps ticking away while Hibs don’t make a decision, all the while leaving us less and less time in the registration window to sign a replacement.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Unusual or is it,  McCabe on one of his recent interviews on DTV was very coy when mentioning he had a wish list for the newly opened transfer window.  Since then nothing,  I think we will announce Megwa in a big way till end of the season,  (he is on a season loan anyway) it's all smoke and mirrors,    Teams below us are panicking big style Ayr, Arbroath and QP all having new managers with Arbroath and QP strengthening and Ayr will probably have to do the same after binning Bullen..

This league changes very quickly , things have been very good recently,  but the same squad issues remain the same..  Come the end of the season, we don't want to have any regrets and a couple of additional options this window, will certainly help us no doubt about it..

Yeh it could change quicker than we think as we only play 1 league game until the middle February with everyone else playing 2 or 3 in that time and no doubt it means we'll drop a place or 2.

Just read the Hibs managers comments about Megwa and I'm not as confident as you about retaining him. Hope you've read the situation better though.

6 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Just wonder how long the Megwa saga is going to drag on for. I realise he is a Hibs player but do feel that we are being messed around a bit here with the constant “will/wont they recall him” that’s being played out at the moment.

Hopefully it won’t come to this but can foresee a situation where the days keeps ticking away while Hibs don’t make a decision, all the while leaving us less and less time in the registration window to sign a replacement.

Surely it has to be this week.

"Kanayo Megwa came back from his loan spell this week and I've been really impressed with him at right-back. Kris is more of a centre-back that has been playing right-back.

"There could be an opportunity or we could decide to stay with what we've got in the building and keep Kanayo Megwa from going back out on loan because he's our player and the staff have been impressed with him this week in terms of the way that he's training."

Direct quotes from Hibs manager earlier.

7 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

You would hope, but seeing as Megwa is cup tied for the Scottish Cup anyway it gives them another weeks’ thinking time.

Megwa only cup tied for the challenge cup, not the Scottish. He'll be available against St.J if he stays.