Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

23 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Seems very unlikely re. McStravick, if we were offered money for him and had a replacement available I would take it to be honest...

Did we not pay Linfield a fee for him, thought i recall that being mentioned.

Wouldn't surprise me if McStravick is attracting interest from other teams. His two best games were his debut away to Dundee United and away to Thistle. He stood out in both of those games and for being 18 at the time he didn't look out of place against two of the best teams in the league. He's a very talented player and I'm sure he'll go on to have a decent career.

I'm not sure how long a contract he's on with us but assuming it's a multi year deal, a team would need to offer a decent amount for him, possibly more than the Devenny transfer.

Also with Megwa doing as well as he did with us, we'll be one of the best teams to loan players out to as we have a manager who gives youth a chance and has a proven track record now for developing young players.

Edited by David Fernández
Spelling

The worst thing McStravick could do would be to go to a bigger club and get stuck in the youth/reserve setup like Devenny. He's got talent but he really needs to keep playing 1st team football. I think he's still to really find his role in the team and impact games as much as he should given his ability - none of which is a criticism, just part of the learning process at that age. He's not even a nailed on starter for us so moving up a level or 2 would probably mean youth football for a couple of years which would do nothing for him.

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The worst thing McStravick could do would be to go to a bigger club and get stuck in the youth/reserve setup like Devenny. He's got talent but he really needs to keep playing 1st team football. I think he's still to really find his role in the team and impact games as much as he should given his ability - none of which is a criticism, just part of the learning process at that age. He's not even a nailed on starter for us so moving up a level or 2 would probably mean youth football for a couple of years which would do nothing for him.

Agreed, and unless it’s silly money being offered, assuming he develops as we hope, we’ll also get a better financial deal further down the line too. 

11 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

image.png.28001fbbdd2ce4942b3ee095ff8e208a.png

Not surprised if true, when he signed the contract with us Stoke made a last minute bid for him which was higher than us but he'd already signed a contract with us and was announced the next day. Don't expect him to be in ML6 for too much longer.

37 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Not surprised if true, when he signed the contract with us Stoke made a last minute bid for him which was higher than us but he'd already signed a contract with us and was announced the next day. Don't expect him to be in ML6 for too much longer.

It's all about potential with him and he'll improve with experience but definitely has more ability than most. Feisty little so n so and people notice him more because of his size but ultimately that could be his biggest problem.

34 minutes ago, G_H said:

So any signing rumours? bit concerned that we will come out of this transfer window *again* with a weaker squad

Heard a lot of stuff during the summer with a number of players but absolutely zilch this window. If any signings happen most likely be a loan or 2. 

58 minutes ago, G_H said:

So any signing rumours? bit concerned that we will come out of this transfer window *again* with a weaker squad

I'm sure the departure of Megwa has accelerated the search but it wouldn't have been so significant if Ballantyne was fit as him and Hancock in the full back positions are more than decent.

Yip, it is likely we could be weaker as it will be difficult to get someone on the same level as Megwa but Cammy & Murray's return to action is absolutely vital also, so lets hope there is no complications with there rehabilitation. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm sure the departure of Megwa has accelerated the search but it wouldn't have been so significant if Ballantyne was fit as him and Hancock in the full back positions are more than decent.

Yip, it is likely we could be weaker as it will be difficult to get someone on the same level as Megwa but Cammy & Murray's return to action is absolutely vital also, so lets hope there is no complications with there rehabilitation. 

Totally agree, we shouldn't be leaving anything to chance,   with Megwa recalled, I would imagine Fellows would be recalled from his Loan spell at the Rovers to provide cover,  not great but you have to use what you have at your disposal....

Don't think we will be seeing Cammy and Aiken match fit minus complications till about early March...

49 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Totally agree, we shouldn't be leaving anything to chance,   with Megwa recalled, I would imagine Fellows would be recalled from his Loan spell at the Rovers to provide cover,  not great but you have to use what you have at your disposal....

Fellows seems to be mostly on the bench for the Rovers, so maybe not progressing as expected.

46 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Have heard we’re close to signing a young striker from West Ham?

Marshall? There was talk of him being loaned out at the start of the window, but would very much doubt after his cameo on Tuesday he'd be destined for the Championship. His goal tally for the 21's is ridiculous, looks a serious talent. 

Patrick Kelly might possibly be the one, just signed a new deal, another Northern Irish lad.

14 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Marshall? There was talk of him being loaned out at the start of the window, but would very much doubt after his cameo on Tuesday he'd be destined for the Championship. His goal tally for the 21's is ridiculous, looks a serious talent. 

Patrick Kelly might possibly be the one, just signed a new deal, another Northern Irish lad.

Haha running joke mate rumours went about years ago we were getting a talent in from West Ham, still waiting on him signing!