Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

47 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Watson motm for me yesterday, think it was possibly his best performance in an Airdrie shirt.

Agreed on this. I thought Watson was outstanding yesterday. Fitzpatrick tore us apart down that side at Firhill but Watson kept him very quiet and was a threat in both boxes. It was the perfect game for him really, a real mix of two teams showing bits of quality in between lots of physicality and aggression.

41 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

This is a fantastic point and one that I think is so often lost. In my 25 years as an Airdrie fan I can’t really remember a time when we were competitive in this Division, yet we have fans not happy because we’ve fallen out of fourth place in the table. 

The flip side of us being competitive in this league is that I can’t remember a time when this league was so competitive. It’s been said before but a run of two or three poor results can drag us right back in to the myre again, but if we were to win these two we’ll be well on the road to guaranteed safety. In my mind I was thinking that ~32 points would be the mark to stay up, but seeing how things are set I think realistically we need to be looking at ~38-40 now. It’s all very well set up for an exciting second half of the campaign.

Never heard any of our fans moaning about just taking a point yesterday ,any I have read thought it was a good hard game ,we played well after 20 or so ,

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I've still got one eye on the bottom 2 places of the table even though I do believe It's virtually impossible for Arbroath to finish out of the bottom 2. Two free hits coming up and wins would be great confidence boosters but ultimately our next 2 league games, Ayr (H) & Morton (A) are much more important and will go a long way to securing 8th place.

We're in a decent place but I still would like to see us signing a mobile centre forward as it would add so much to the side and different to what we've got. Perhaps someone in the mould of Jermaine Hylton until the season end might be realistic.

It’s a shame that the cup semi-final coincided with a league game at Arbroath. Looking at their team and bench yesterday I’d have fancied us even with our own injuries. 

Agreed on needing another centre forward. We probably needed one anyway but think after yesterday it’s a bit of a must. McGregor did about as well as he could be expected to, and he was unlucky not to get in behind a couple of times. And O’Connor actually had a couple of nice touches when he came on. But they’re either not a proper centre forward or good enough yet to be playing in that position at this level and I never feel like we’re carrying much of a goal threat when they are. 

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

The flip side of us being competitive in this league is that I can’t remember a time when this league was so competitive. It’s been said before but a run of two or three poor results can drag us right back in to the myre again, but if we were to win these two we’ll be well on the road to guaranteed safety. In my mind I was thinking that ~32 points would be the mark to stay up, but seeing how things are set I think realistically we need to be looking at ~38-40 now. It’s all very well set up for an exciting second half of the campaign.

Yeh, 38-40 points will definitely be enough for any club not to finish bottom but yes it will be required to finish 8th.

Arbroath look to be really struggling though and not helped by injuries therefore I fear the worst for them and can actually see them getting tailed off.

On 27/01/2024 at 21:21, Diamonds are Forever said:

Been a very enjoyable few weeks playing some good sides at home and getting good results against all of them. It's clear that at home we are a match for anyone.

Looking ahead, the next challenge for this team is to improve our away form. We are 2nd in the league on home form, but 10th on away form. We only have 6 home games left compared to 9 away and our next league game is also a home game to Ayr - so 9 of our last 14 games are away from home. Therefore it's going to be a long slog to May if we don't improve on our away form, which so far has been dreadful. I'm confident that we'll continue to win or draw our home games which alone should be enough to avoid 9th or 10th. But if we want to look any higher we'll need to start beating teams around us away from home.

Realised today that we’re due to play Raith the weekend of the Challenge Cup final. So whatever happens we’ll have another midweek away game to play, which is annoying. 

34 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Any word on tickets for the Hearts game (when they’re on sale or how many we’re giving them)? Games not far away now.

Don't know anything about tickets yet, heard on Saturday that Hearts will get 2 stands,  4300 approx ,,  Airdrie will be in usual main stand,  think expecting a crowd of around 6k..   also rumour I heard was away car park may be getting closed due to Hearts buses and the BBC broadcasting trucks..  if so we better get there early..

41 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Ticket prices announced, no surprise the club have increased prices for the game.

Yes they will have had to take into consideration the SFA's cut of the gate, the increased stewarding, policing and utility costs, gate halved with Hearts etc... 

24 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Yes they will have had to take into consideration the SFA's cut of the gate, the increased stewarding, policing and utility costs, gate halved with Hearts etc... 

What is the split of the gate,  it isn't 50.50 ,  it is not something like 45 home, 35 visitor and the rest goes to SFA..    it's not as simple as it seems,   to be honest I am glad the club are trying to maximise revenue streams,   I see Hospitality is in the Rowan suite,  how many does that hold,  it seems pretty well priced .

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

What is the split of the gate,  it isn't 50.50 ,  it is not something like 45 home, 35 visitor and the rest goes to SFA..    it's not as simple as it seems,   to be honest I am glad the club are trying to maximise revenue streams,   I see Hospitality is in the Rowan suite,  how many does that hold,  it seems pretty well priced .

Rowan Suite holds 150.

My understanding is that the SFA take the first 5% of admissions, the host club (us) then take 20% of receipts then the remainder is split 50/50 between the host and visiting club. The host club is liable for all expenses (hence the initial 20% to help to cover that). 

So on a crowd of 7000 our gross income would be based on c. 4000 tickets (after SFA and Hearts cut), so around £100k + tv money less overheads/costs to host. 

Edited by Diamonds Are Red

Feeling positive

We have to appreciate the talent we have at present. I think Hancock has been an absolute standout this season and is quickly becoming a favourite player of mine. 

Buzzing for Ballantyne to come back as I think he’s our best player in all honesty. I suppose him being injured has kept him off the radar this season thankfully. 

Telfer also excellent this season. Strange but this seems to be his level. Think league one was too scrappy for him. 

8 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Telfer also excellent this season. Strange but this seems to be his level. Think league one was too scrappy for him. 

I was very much in the Charlie Telfer/Craig Watson are basic squad/bench fillers at this level mindset pre season. Delighted that both, and Telfer in particular, have proven that thought wrong and have done really well when playing. 

9 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Feeling positive

We have to appreciate the talent we have at present. I think Hancock has been an absolute standout this season and is quickly becoming a favourite player of mine. 

Buzzing for Ballantyne to come back as I think he’s our best player in all honesty. I suppose him being injured has kept him off the radar this season thankfully. 

Aikens back in training now will be fully fit by end of February 

45 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Feeling positive

Was just away to ask you guys how is Cammy Ballantyne getting on lol.

Top player and a league winner at the Mo will always be welcome back.Glad he is playing well at a higher level,the year we won the league he was absolutely tremendous!

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Feeling positive

Hancock can still get caught out at the back, as was seen on Saturday (twice, one leading to Thistle's goal), but since December/turn of the year he has come on (literally) leaps and bounds - his running with the ball down the wings and crosses into the box...superb! Defenders are struggling to cope with him and you can just imagine opposition managers shaking their heads at half time on how they are going to keep him at bay in the 2nd half! 

Charlie Telfer and Craig Watson look totally comfortable playing in this league, really pleasing to see them do well.