Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I've just watched the game back (okay, I did fast forward at some parts! 😖) - the encouraging thing is how positive the pre match and indeed post match analysis of Airdrie was...our style of play now being recognised by managers and media across the country, almost a breath of fresh air! Rhys coming across well on camera too, I think yesterday's game has shown the whole club, from the boardroom right to players and everyone behind the scenes in a very good light, despite the defeat. That can only be good for potentially attracting more people to come to the games, sponsors, hospitality etc... AND players who might consider Airdrie as an option. 

Of course the reality hits us again this week, with the League the focus, and quite a bit of a way to go yet. 

22 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I thought we played quite well in parts but have the old problem of being really short of quality up front. I'm not expecting a Shankland standard player but you have to have someone who will hold the ball up, win headers and get free-kicks, Todorov did none of that today, I thought he was really poor even considering the standard of opposition. McGregor can run channels and tried hard, as did Todorov, but neither can offer enough in a game like that to pose a real threat. I know Todorov is on a wee goal run just now but it is still my concern for the rest of the reason that we lack ruthlessness up front. I was sat watching the Morton game the other night thinking we'd be a real force if we had a player like Oakley leading the line for us. We're a nice side defence through to midfield but are a bit blunt up front.

On the positives I thought Watson and Hancock were excellent - with the exception of the 2nd goal where Hancock was doing the hokey cokey with the defensive line, he either had to play offside or drop deep but ended up doing neither. More than made up for that though with his cross for the goal and all round performance though. Watson was our best player 2nd half and it'll be interesting see where Ballantyne fits in as neither deserve to be dropped.

I obviously wanted to win but part of me is glad it's out the way and we can start focusing on the league again. Ayr is a huge game on Saturday, a win there and I'd have huge confidence we can start looking up the table, a defeat and things are looking a bit hairy again with the 2 toughest fixtures in the league to come.

Think we are just to tidy ,hard game to judge as they are miles ahead of us  and most teams in Scotland,back to league business on Sat ,need to get a bit more ruthless,not trying to knock us but definitely need end product or all the nice on the eye football is out the window ,back to playing like we did against the rover with big Toddy challenging everything ,

40 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Think we are just to tidy ,hard game to judge as they are miles ahead of us  and most teams in Scotland,back to league business on Sat ,need to get a bit more ruthless,not trying to knock us but definitely need end product or all the nice on the eye football is out the window ,back to playing like we did against the rover with big Toddy challenging everything ,

Heard that PH put a £6million bid in for Shankland on Sunday night, and £10million for Miovski.

11 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Heard that PH put a £6million bid in for Shankland on Sunday night, and £10million for Miovski.

Aye tells its own story,can only do the best with what you have available ,a good few young lads with a bright future if we can keep hold of most of them , 

Hearts are just a better team with better players. It really is that simple. We have no right to be competing with them. I think we can be proud of the performance and the effort. We had chances but just didn’t have the quality to finish them whilst hearts did. 
It’s also worth remembering that the majority of the starting 11 were league one players last year. 

It’s a bit of cash for the club and some good publicity for McCabe which will pay off I’m sure. 

Back onto the league on Saturday which is all that really matters this season 👍

Not commented on Sunday yet but I actually thought we were really good. For me, we didn’t deserve to be 3 down (at which point it’s game over) as we’d started well, were forcing corners, Gordon had a really good save, had a couple of close efforts, then hit the bar…. They (at 0-1) then go up the park and get a second after Rae blocks the first attempt and it bounces back off their player and in (some ball through though!). And after the 3rd the game is over but we stuck to it, scored a good goal and didn’t fold while still playing football the right way.

Reality is we went in as big underdogs, and were always going to need a bit of luck (we didn’t get any), were always going to need to take our chances (we didn’t) and also hope that they had an off day, or that Shankland did at least (which didn’t happen). What we got was a lesson in taking your chances by the 3rd best team (by a mile) in the country with the country’s in form striker putting in a motm performance. 

If we’d scored earlier or somehow managed to swap Todorov for Shankland(!) it might have been different.  No shame in that though and should give us confidence for the rest of the season. And we won on corners….!
Credit to Hearts btw, you just need to look at the run their on and the table to see that they’re a top side. 

Edited by Airdrie76

Agree with your post Airdrie76 - would only add that the through ball for Hearts second goal was positively McCabeesque!

A few thoughts from me not really picked up elsewhere. Firstly, credit to both sets of players and the officials for the spirit in which the match was played and refereed - all the big decisions were correct (I don't think the challenge on Telfer was a foul) and not a single yellow card. Next, the Hearts fans in the south stand supported their team magnificently, never stopping singing all match. And finally Liam McLeod was an absolutely superb commentator. Not only did he know all our players and their histories, but he knew their positions, their strengths & weaknesses, who was on form etc. Clearly the BBC researchers had done their job and he had read his brief - it was just like listening to AndyDD!

I was at game so can’t say for sure, but two mates have said to me they thought commentator was awful and very biased. One was an Airdrie supporter but the other was down in England and didn’t really have any skin the game.

On 12/02/2024 at 18:09, She who dares gins said:

I usually stumble across it on the BBC match report under line-ups after a few days. 

The BBC are reporting the crowd as 6555 (?!). Not sure how they got to this figure as Hearts must have sold near enough 4500, the main stand was full other than section A (250) and a few rows behind the dugouts/a few empty seats here and there (say 150 tops). Even stripping out the middle hospitality section I think the figure should be starting with a 7 and not a 6?

56 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

The BBC are reporting the crowd as 6555 (?!). Not sure how they got to this figure as Hearts must have sold near enough 4500, the main stand was full other than section A (250) and a few rows behind the dugouts/a few empty seats here and there (say 150 tops). Even stripping out the middle hospitality section I think the figure should be starting with a 7 and not a 6?

Aye, but got to hide some figures from HMRC!

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

Rearranged games confirmed for Dunfermline (5th March), Arbroath (2nd April) and Raith (9th April). Busy couple of months ahead!

Tuesdays on the road again. Sounds like a Lindisfarne song! Defining weeks ahead. Only watched the cup game on TV so looking forward to the real thing. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Did any non 1924 members have any success on securing tickets for the celebration dinner?

Looks like it was virtually a Man Utd fan sell out before it was announced!

FTFY.

In what is probably going to be the biggest event for the club to commemorate the 1924 Cup Success, it will be an absolute tragedy if rumours are to be believed and Man Utd fans have snapped up the tickets. Would’ve though the club would have ways and means to filter tickets through to our actual fans instead of just a “first come first served” type basis.

All fine in hindsight but would probably have been worth leaving the guest announcements until after tickets had been sold. Yer die hards are going to go to these events regardless of who is on stage.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Did any non 1924 members have any success on securing tickets for the celebration dinner?

Looks like it was virtually a corporate sell out before it was announced!

My thoughts are that seeing as the adverts had the prices exclusive of VAT it was clearly being marketed towards corporate sponsors and probably there weren't many tickets left for the open market, including 1924 members.