Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Only very loosely Airdrie related but has anyone seen what’s happening at Willie McKay’s latest project “Doncaster City FC”? 11th level of the pyramid in England and they’ve just signed Charlie Mulgrew and Ross McCormack, and on top of that former Airdrie man Scott McLaughlin. I don’t think we’ve got any players still represented by a McKay since Paul, Jack, Thomas Robert etc left. At any rate, our relationship with Consilium does seem to have benefited us more.

28 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Only very loosely Airdrie related but has anyone seen what’s happening at Willie McKay’s latest project “Doncaster City FC”? 11th level of the pyramid in England and they’ve just signed Charlie Mulgrew and Ross McCormack, and on top of that former Airdrie man Scott McLaughlin. I don’t think we’ve got any players still represented by a McKay since Paul, Jack, Thomas Robert etc left. At any rate, our relationship with Consilium does seem to have benefited us more.

Doncaster that's a name from the past, j used to look out for there results when Billy Bremner was the gaffer,   that wasn't yesterday...  Agree Consilium is working at the moment, things can change quickly in Football,   Rhys holds the strings for everything. 

Onto today , it's a must not lose , with teams beginning to bunch up, we have games in hand, although never count your chickens with them, when you see the hectic schedule we have to play March and April...

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Doncaster that's a name from the past, j used to look out for there results when Billy Bremner was the gaffer,   that wasn't yesterday...  Agree Consilium is working at the moment, things can change quickly in Football,   Rhys holds the strings for everything. 

Onto today , it's a must not lose , with teams beginning to bunch up, we have games in hand, although never count your chickens with them, when you see the hectic schedule we have to play March and April...

Aye would be good if manager could strengthen upfront,our minus 4 goal difference is worrying,doing great though before I get jumped on ,

10 minutes ago, Passionate said:

It's a must not lose 

Correct. Win and we put some breathing space between us and the pack, lose and we’re dragged back into the myre somewhat. 

Hopefully Calum Gallagher scores with his boaby or something, anything to kickstart a wee scoring run for him.

25 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Correct. Win and we put some breathing space between us and the pack, lose and we’re dragged back into the myre somewhat. 

Hopefully Calum Gallagher scores with his boaby or something, anything to kickstart a wee scoring run for him.

No during the game surely,

The problem we have is that our talented tricky midfielders are not scoring goals. Hopefully now that Frizz has scored he will settle down in front of goal and just pass a few into the net. Telfer has it in his locker to score but again it is just not happening and we need to be less reliant on the strikers getting all the goals.

McCabe needs to move back into midfield and get Janny and Ballantyne back as a unit. Hearts 4th goal was due to McCabe not holding the line then standing with his arm up. Players in their natural positions at the back have been drilled against this their whole playing career and McCabe has done well at the back as the results show but his strength is in front of the defence controlling the game and using his superb passing game.

We also need to start some squad rotation to avoid a pile up of injuries and we have players who can come into the team and still play in the system and do a good job. Not sure what the latest on Fordyce is but he would be a big miss if out for an extended period.

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

I think Doncaster City is a McKay creation or vehicle. They were only established a year or two ago and play at the bottom of the English pyramid., Central Midlands North League or some other such nonsense. Mark McKay is the chairman and Jack McKay plays for them, as does our trialist from this pre-season Muhamet Gashi. I think it was Doncaster City who tried to get into the Scottish Cup last season under the Treaty of Durham. 

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I think Doncaster City is a McKay creation or vehicle. They were only established a year or two ago and play at the bottom of the English pyramid., Central Midlands North League or some other such nonsense. Mark McKay is the chairman and Jack McKay plays for them, as does our trialist from this pre-season Muhamet Gashi. I think it was Doncaster City who tried to get into the Scottish Cup last season under the Treaty of Durham. 

Right, admit it, who has read this fantastic highly amusing post and googled the "Treaty of Durham"?

2 hours ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

The problem we have is that our talented tricky midfielders are not scoring goals. Hopefully now that Frizz has scored he will settle down in front of goal and just pass a few into the net. Telfer has it in his locker to score but again it is just not happening and we need to be less reliant on the strikers getting all the goals.

McCabe needs to move back into midfield and get Janny and Ballantyne back as a unit. Hearts 4th goal was due to McCabe not holding the line then standing with his arm up. Players in their natural positions at the back have been drilled against this their whole playing career and McCabe has done well at the back as the results show but his strength is in front of the defence controlling the game and using his superb passing game.

We also need to start some squad rotation to avoid a pile up of injuries and we have players who can come into the team and still play in the system and do a good job. Not sure what the latest on Fordyce is but he would be a big miss if out for an extended period.

Totally agree that a Fordyce injury would be massively worrying as we have no one close to matching his aerial ability. Hancock would be next but that in turn would be another issue given his recent performances as a leftie.

We actually played quite well today but simply no team at any level can give goals away like we did and expect anything.

Ballantyne will need a few games to get back up to speed and Donnell showed up well but ditto. More importantly lets hope Fordyce is back soon as he is sorely missed!

I mentioned during the week that we needed a forward with a bit of guile, Jamie Murphy's set up for the 2nd goal was a good example of what I meant.

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

At times played some of the best stuff we’ve played all season. Hancock excellent, McMaster excellent, McGregor excellent. All three goals conceded from very basic errors and it becomes a game lost that we should have won at a canter.

Mr McCabe, please start Lyall next week, he’s excellent.

It's Greenock next week, lets hope Fordyce is back given that there's very likely to be an aerial bombardment!

11 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

I must have been been at a different game I thought we were no where near good enough through about 80% of the squad. 

Definitely agree,need a few players to stay in league ,the scorers say it all ,

I think that’s the closest performance to last season that we’ve seen. We looked dangerous going forward in the first half, using the width well and getting lots of balls across goal. Unfortunately we were also a shambles at the other end. Three really soft goals. As others have said, was impressed with Hancock, McMaster and McGregor today but McCabe, Donnell and Watson were miles off it. Badly missed Fordyce, particularly in the air as Dowds bullied McCabe all game. We even had Rae trying to catch the ball outside the box like last season and then not paying attention.

I did worry that Ayr, Morton and Dundee United would be a tricky run but hopefully we can bounce back next week. The league table is very tight and I’m still aiming for survival rather than 4th, as much as that would be a nice bonus.

Edited by Mr November

I thought Airdrie were very good today and was fairly impressed (apart from the mistakes that cost the first and second goals). You stretched the game well, the diagonal balls and range of passing at times was excellent. Lacking a little bit up front perhaps. I think a real chance of getting the play off spots with performances like that. 

Frustrating one. Don’t think we played that badly middle to front. But Dowds will never score another 3 easier goals. Three absolute gifts. Indeed, about half of his goals this season must be gifts from us. Really missed Fordyce. Don’t think McCabe won a header up against Dowds all game and, while this is very uncommon, Fordyce’s long passes might even have been better than McCabe’s today! Don’t fancy going up against Oakley and Muirhead next week if Fordyce is missing. Watson was poor today. The defence has been largely excellent this season, and Watson has been much better than probably anybody expected him to be. But we were possibly shown up for our lack of recruitment at centre-half. ATS hasn’t been in the picture for a while now but I’m not sure he wouldn’t be a better option in there. Don’t think he makes those mistakes with his passing and he’s possibly a better option in the air against Dowds than McCabe and Watson too. 

I like all of our forwards but today I think also highlighted that we need much better quality upfront - both in terms of being clinical and holding the ball up/linking play/playing outside the box. Todorov wasn’t in the game at all and Gal and Gabby are clearly still working their way back to fitness. 

Frustrating to have dropped 9/9 points against Ayr. Each team in this league seems to have a team or two that they just can’t beat for whatever reason. But hopefully today’s dropped points don’t prove too costly in the final run-in. 

Conceded three poor goals and players getting carried away with the "philosophy" while forgetting the basics in that opening spell.

Did score a good equaliser and might have set up a promising second half but that horror show at 2 and a bizarre Rae and Referee show , made it worse.

I thought we could have snatched a third but Ayr were just too street wise.

Enjoyed hospitality and if only Paul Jack had been there to whack a few. 

Missed Fordyce hugely and Rhys was well bullied by Dowds. 

On to the wee Dublin end with a sense of dread.