Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Not to put a downer on a great result, but having looked at the player stats last night, most of the players contacts expire at the end of May.

Hope that PH has done a bit of forward thinking.

46 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

Not to put a downer on a great result, but having looked at the player stats last night, most of the players contacts expire at the end of May.

I was thinking about this earlier, now some of the players have proven they can make the step up there must be a fair few that would intrest other Championship clubs with more money, Rae, Ballantyne, Hancock, Telfer for example, top priority though needs to be McCabe.

3 hours ago, moses1924 said:

I was thinking about this earlier, now some of the players have proven they can make the step up there must be a fair few that would intrest other Championship clubs with more money, Rae, Ballantyne, Hancock, Telfer for example, top priority though needs to be McCabe.

If McCabe stays it will help to keep other players at the club as long as there is a larger budget.   If he goes, it could end up being a bit of a shit show and us losing a majority of the squad.   Get the cheque book out, get Rhys and Dycey locked in to a new contract.   I’m hoping that happens when the board pretty much know we will be a championship team next season 

13 hours ago, diamondman said:

I was not there last night.

My Tannadice trips have been fruitless. Saw Eddie Forrest getting sent off there on my last visit in the Cup.

Happy though.

I missed Tuesday night and my dad missed the last win there in '95 due to getting married. I think the moral of the story is for my family to skip all future games at Tannadice. Looked a class night from the pics and @AirdrieFanTV.

Edited by airdrieman

I think there's a place for Gal, Gabby and Todorov in a Championship squad. All 3 of them though I don't think any Championship team can really afford to carry unless you have a proper quality #9 at this level. It's what separates us from the majority of other teams in this league. Put an Oakley or a Dowds in our team and I genuinely think the affect would be transformative. Gal started the season well, and I think he still might be our top goal scorer in the league? He is overall at least (by one). He's done nothing since the Queen's Park game though and he's looked off the pace since his injury. He's better at holding up the ball and linking play than Todorov, and I think Todorov would be a better impact sub, but you can't argue with the run Todorov is/was on. Todorov seems to be quite streaky in terms of his scoring/dry spells. Which again is fine if you have a reliable #9. But I'm not sure he really suits our style of play and his game outside the box is more-or-less non existent (lovely ball to O'Connor on Tuesday night mind you!). I've said it before but I do think Gabby is under-rated in terms of his contribution to the team and his impact on our positive runs and results. Needs to do a lot better than 2 league goals though, obviously. 

Agree with the Telfer PotY shouts. Probably between him and Hancock, and Hancock/Megwa for YPotY. Would have considered Ballantyne and Aiken too if not for their injuries. 

13 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

Not sure how accurate but i'm pretty sure Hancock, Mcmaster and McStravick are signed up for next season.

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I think there's a place for Gal, Gabby and Todorov in a Championship squad. All 3 of them though I don't think any Championship team can really afford to carry unless you have a proper quality #9 at this level. It's what separates us from the majority of other teams in this league. Put an Oakley or a Dowds in our team and I genuinely think the affect would be transformative. Gal started the season well, and I think he still might be our top goal scorer in the league? He is overall at least (by one). He's done nothing since the Queen's Park game though and he's looked off the pace since his injury. He's better at holding up the ball and linking play than Todorov, and I think Todorov would be a better impact sub, but you can't argue with the run Todorov is/was on. Todorov seems to be quite streaky in terms of his scoring/dry spells. Which again is fine if you have a reliable #9. But I'm not sure he really suits our style of play and his game outside the box is more-or-less non existent (lovely ball to O'Connor on Tuesday night mind you!). I've said it before but I do think Gabby is under-rated in terms of his contribution to the team and his impact on our positive runs and results. Needs to do a lot better than 2 league goals though, obviously. 

Agree with the Telfer PotY shouts. Probably between him and Hancock, and Hancock/Megwa for YPotY. Would have considered Ballantyne and Aiken too if not for their injuries. 

Fordyce not considered just opinions off course 👍👍

Completely pointless of course but for what it's worth here's a mini-table based on league games so far this season between Airdrie, Dundee Utd & Raith:

Team Played  Won Drawn Lost Points
Airdrieonians 6           3 1 2 10
Raith Rovers 6 2 2 2 8
Dundee United 6 2 1 3 7
Edited by DiamondDownSouth
correction

5 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Not sure how accurate but i'm pretty sure Hancock, Mcmaster and McStravick are signed up for next season.

The club are notorious for not advertising contract lengths so it’s anyone’s guess really. We know Ballantyne signed a 2-year deal when he joined so unless he’s extended that he’s definitely out of contract. I’d be surprised if McStravick only signed for one season considering we paid a fee for him so I’d expect he’s signed up for next season. Based on his tweet in the summer it looks like Watson is signed up for next season as well.

IMG_5682.jpeg

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

The club are notorious for not advertising contract lengths so it’s anyone’s guess really. We know Ballantyne signed a 2-year deal when he joined so unless he’s extended that he’s definitely out of contract. I’d be surprised if McStravick only signed for one season considering we paid a fee for him so I’d expect he’s signed up for next season. Based on his tweet in the summer it looks like Watson is signed up for next season as well.

IMG_5682.jpeg

Liam was a 2year deal aswell

16 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Fordyce not considered just opinions off course 👍👍

Fordyce is a great shout too! We’ve certainly felt his absence whenever he’s been out the side. 

Gal and Gabby were the starters in the team that beat Dundee United 2-0 with Gabby scoring. So to say they can't cut it in this league is strange. It is not all about scoring the goal and they move around each other and try and find each other while keeping the move going. Gal's little flicks and clever passes do not always come off but he has had very little time on the pitch and is still getting back from injury as is Gabby. They keep things flowing and are worth a run in the team with Toddy as impact sub.

51 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Gal and Gabby were the starters in the team that beat Dundee United 2-0 with Gabby scoring. So to say they can't cut it in this league is strange. It is not all about scoring the goal and they move around each other and try and find each other while keeping the move going. Gal's little flicks and clever passes do not always come off but he has had very little time on the pitch and is still getting back from injury as is Gabby. They keep things flowing and are worth a run in the team with Toddy as impact sub.

Personally if your are a striker I feel it's about putting the ball in the net,just like Owen Coyle,,

25 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Gal is still our top scorer and hopefully if he gets game time the goals will flow again.  Coyle scored 17 goals in 7 games for us then got injured and when he came back he only scored 3 goals for the rest of the season. No one would have written him off for not scoring.

It's a difficult one,  Gall is a modern day streaky goalscorer ,  he still has it, style of play this season doesn't really suit any of our strikers and it has showed,  he will get more goals eventually it's just how gall is,  he was the same in League 1,

As we know all strikers have roughly a 1 in 3 strike rate   Gall basically falls into that category..   but the problem when you go up a league your number of chances per game reduces and therefore productivity drops..   For example. Oakley last week first chance goal,  he missed 2 after that,  still a 1 in 3 statistic ,   can Gall take that first opportunity maybe even a half chance, not convinced  he might score his 3rd attempt, still 1 in 3 ratio get my drift, it's the ruthlessness of the striker look back recently to goals conceded Shankland, Dowds, Adeloye,  Paton all first attempts hit the net all teams in this league struggle if they don't score the opening goal , I read the stat is 78 percent of teams who scored first do not lose the game in this league,  that is where we lack a quality championship striker...

Do we cut him and Gabby loose at the end of the season, who knows,  but we need more goals from somewhere...

I think Gallagher, Todorov and McGill are exceptional league one strikers and would win leagues/promotion for the majority of teams in that league.

In the championship however they are average and that’s the difference. They’ll still score goals here and there but they don’t carry the threat that a Dowds, Paton, or Muirhead carry. If we had any one of those names in our team we would be right up there competing IMO. 

I think we have a championship level keeper, defence and midfield but our forward areas are lacking. 

I’m not dismissing Gal or Gabby’s contributions over the last few years at all as their numbers speak for themselves. 

I think at least one of them will be away in the summer for pastures new.

And that takes us on to Queens Park and a visit from our favourite striker and Quitongo ally, Ruari Paton. A complete rocket but you got to hand it to him, he's having a tremendous season and a real threat tomorrow. I believe he's on a long term contract at QP but I doubt they'll be able to keep him if they got relegated and perhaps even if they stay up.

The chances of signing a goal machine are very slim on our budget but that is the next piece of the jigsaw. This is where you need the youth development side of things to produce a wonderkid. The problem is the kids that score loads of goals get taken in at a young age by the big teams and we never get them on our books.  The loan route gets them out to the likes of us but that is short term. We need a Coyle type signed up on a 3 or 4 year contract but easier said than done.

3 hours ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Gal is still our top scorer and hopefully if he gets game time the goals will flow again.  Coyle scored 17 goals in 7 games for us then got injured and when he came back he only scored 3 goals for the rest of the season. No one would have written him off for not scoring.

Might be wrong did he score 4 his first game,

6 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Might be wrong did he score 4 his first game,

Aye we need the bounce of the ball at times ,it's instinct knowing to be in the right place for the yard tap  in ,I think it is coming if we can get a settled front 2,