Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Just seen the goals, the keeper is massively at fault for their second.

Thought that at the time and also seemed lost with Innes Murray's shot off the post late on..  any word on how long Josh will be out for.

2 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Totally agree, sold short by the defence at the first goal when a ball was played right through the middle of the central defenders and nobody tracked a run.

Second goal I'd also need to see again as it looked like a ball across the face of goal that *someone should have dealt with.

*No idea who though.

Just watched the goals back.

Keeper could have done more to prevent their 2nd. Seemed unsure and hesitant but given he only met his teammates this week we can chalk that up to getting to know one another.

Thought the last 4 games would be crucial as to how the season worked out and we've achieved the upper end of what I hoped for with 8 points, if you include the United game its 11 from the last 5 which is a great effort. Can't relax yet and still want to finish as high as possible but now we can be reasonably confident of being in the Championship next season lets get the players we want signed up and the manager as well.

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

I thought we really missed McCabe today for this season. With Rae out we couldn’t have the keeper as involved at the back and McMaster is a lot more conservative, so you’re left with Fordyce as the main playmaker back there which is never ideal. I’d like to see McCabe back in next week if he’s fit.

McCabe is obviously trying to get McMaster game time by playing him in the home games which should be a bit easier for him, and given himself the away games to Dundee Utd, ICT and Dunfermline, I'd assume he'll play himself next week too.

It's been discussed before but McMaster does a job when we are dominant and he keeps things ticking over, but the further up the levels you go the less likely you get games like that - yesterday was the closest this season and even then it was nothing like some of our hammerings last year. He needs to be stronger defensively and offer a bit more with progressive passing. Passing safe and square isn't really enough, especially when you don't have that 'destructive' side to your game either.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

McMaster is comfortable on the ball and is good at mopping things up in the middle of the park. With coaching and experience he can get better at the other sides of his game. McStravick had his most effective game for us yesterday because he wasn't muscled off the ball like in the last few games. There is no doubt he has raw talent but with coaching he can learn to anticipate the "force him off the ball" tackles and skip round them the way Frizz does. We saw a bit of that yesterday and he got his goal and had a few other chances. 

Lyall is good at seeing what is going on in front of him and has an eye for the forward pass. The timing of his run into the box made his goal look easy and he could see it all infront of him and pick his spot.

Charlie Telfer is the player we need to get signed up because he is the glue in this team.

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Charlie Telfer is the player we need to get signed up because he is the glue in this team.

Go on about it like a broken record but first priority has to be signing Rhys & Dycey to longer deals, then look at players.

Hancock, Telfer and Frizzell would probably be the three I’d look to keep on as a must. Supplemented by McMaster, Watson, Rae, Ballantyne & McStravick, but as always who knows how long everyone is actually contracted for?

50 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

McStravick must surely be signed uo for next season at least.  Hard to see us paying money for a player to have him for less than a full season.

Someone mentioned a while ago that McStravick, Hancock and McMaster are signed up for next season but we’ll never know for sure until May. 

I suppose the benefit this season is that with another win or two we’ll likely be safe and know that barring a freak play-off run which should allow us to plan better, whereas the last couple of seasons players will have wanted to wait until they knew whether we were in League One or the Championship.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I suppose the benefit this season is that with another win or two we’ll likely be safe

Been thinking that since mid-December 😂 as unlikely as it is Inverness could put a few wins together and we’re pulled right back in. I’m sure 39 points would’ve seen us safe in 8 of the 10 previous seasons as well?

I’ve been fairly critical of our inability to score from corners in recent years but we seemed to be very effective yesterday.

There definitely seemed to be to some structure to our corners which ultimately lead to 2 of the goals. Excellent stuff! 

Just read that Rae had a bleed on the brain, a lot worse than I thought it was.

Makes a lot more sense now that we got someone in permanently and not just the usual emergency loan.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out for the season, it’s not something you can rush back from.

Just seen that we’ve had some players in at a local primary school. I can’t remember the last time anything like that happened and it’s also been something that we’ve seemed to miss out on. Right now is the best time I’ve had following Airdrie that I can properly remember and it’s as good a time as any to let the local kids know that there’s a team on their doorstep playing decent football in a competitive setting. You’re never going to get every kid in Airdrie to come and support us but even just having that presence might attract a few new faces at games. While we are on an upwards trajectory I hope the club are doing everything in their power to continue it and preserve it. 

11 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Just seen that we’ve had some players in at a local primary school. I can’t remember the last time anything like that happened and it’s also been something that we’ve seemed to miss out on. Right now is the best time I’ve had following Airdrie that I can properly remember and it’s as good a time as any to let the local kids know that there’s a team on their doorstep playing decent football in a competitive setting. You’re never going to get every kid in Airdrie to come and support us but even just having that presence might attract a few new faces at games. While we are on an upwards trajectory I hope the club are doing everything in their power to continue it and preserve it. 

This really annoys me that we don't do more of this. We are missing an opportunity here, we should throw 50 or so tickets at local schools every home game. My kids school (in Airdrie) had some of the kids at Parkhead on Saturday, boils my blood but at the same time we're not doing our bit to offer it and the schools will probably just take what's offered to them. 

54 minutes ago, ElDiamondo said:

This really annoys me that we don't do more of this. We are missing an opportunity here, we should throw 50 or so tickets at local schools every home game. My kids school (in Airdrie) had some of the kids at Parkhead on Saturday, boils my blood but at the same time we're not doing our bit to offer it and the schools will probably just take what's offered to them. 

That is really annoying to hear about the Parkhead trip and it feels like every club in Scotland outside the OF has an obligation to have a community outreach program to attract the younger kids/families and stop them from being sucked in to the Rangers/Celtic tribal crap.  Like most of you, I’m really happy that we are getting involved with the local schools.   But like ElDiamondo said, this should be more of a weekly thing than a one off.  Even if we could have a monthly occasion where we invite an entire classroom of kids to a game, each kid gets to have at least one accompanying adult/minder and a ticket for a free pie and a drink.   Even if a local business could step in to support this idea and provide funding to cover the limited costs.  

unlike most OF fans who start out green or blue because of their dads/uncles, a lot of Airdrie fans start out because of a mate or maybe the team being involved in a bigger occasion like a cup SF or something.  Me? I got denied entry into Cliftonhill as a 13 year old and so I hopped on the bus to Airdrie and made it into Broomfield just in time for KO.  The 500 crowd I expected to be part of that day turned into 5000 and the atmosphere had me hooked.  It only took one visit and I was addicted.   My wife says I need AA, Airdrie Anonymous.   Point is, gets the kids in to try it out. If they get even a fraction of the thrill I had that day 36 years ago they’ll be back.  For sure they’ll be back ♦️ 

Forgettiing Lyall and Megwa are cup tied and can't play on Sunday, with Mcgregor and McGill unlikely to be back as well we're looking a bit light up top for Sunday.