Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Well done Airdrie on a fantastic season. I thought you were by far the best footballing side in the league. Buy a decent striker and goalie and you’ll be challenging for the title next season 

Posted (edited)

Unlucky Airdrie. The season may be over for you but the Red Diamond is forever.

Congratulations on what has been a very good season back in the second tier.

Edited by Richey Edwards

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Unlucky Airdrie. The season may be over for you but the Red Diamond is forever.

You need to see the Doc Richey. I'm deeply concerned about your welfare when your first thought on a Saturday morning is this.

♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️

40 minutes ago, Mr November said:

This is especially impressive when two of his five seasons were shortened. I think he’s only missed nine league games since he joined.

Hopefully the first announcement we see next week is that him and his wee cousin have accepted their new contracts.

16 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Mason Hancock speaking like he's going to be around next season although I wouldn't be surprised if we received offers for him. Assuming he's under contract. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-use-play-heartache-fuel-32784715

As much as it’ll be a tough ask I think we will keep the core of the squad. I keep going on about it (especially in relation the McCabe) but we are as good for them as they are for us. If we manage to keep the core of the squad I’d like to see us add a keeper, a starter CB, a back up CB and a goalscorer. I’d also go in with an offer for Megwa, he might have better offers either at Hibs or elsewhere but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he looks like a star playing in our system and id put my house on making the money back and then some by selling him on.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

As much as it’ll be a tough ask I think we will keep the core of the squad. I keep going on about it (especially in relation the McCabe) but we are as good for them as they are for us. If we manage to keep the core of the squad I’d like to see us add a keeper, a starter CB, a back up CB and a goalscorer. I’d also go in with an offer for Megwa, he might have better offers either at Hibs or elsewhere but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he looks like a star playing in our system and id put my house on making the money back and then some by selling him on.

It's been mentioned many times on here but current players under contract is an unknown therefore a fee would be required for them to move on. Wouldn't disagree with your Megwa comments but fear we'll get blown out of the water when it comes to the finances but what a boost it would be to start next season with him and Hancock as the full/wing backs.

Edited by Kenny_m

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

You need to see the Doc Richey. I'm deeply concerned about your welfare when your first thought on a Saturday morning is this.

♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️

Bold of you to assume that I had been asleep prior to posting that.

Losing to Thistle always stings. But what a season. Written off as relegation fodder by almost everybody. Top 4, Premiership play-offs, a cup, winning at Tannadice, through the League Cup group stages unbeaten and a couple of Premiership scalps while playing some of the most exciting football in the country. Immensely proud of this football club and what a pleasure it has been to travel the length and breadth of this country watching them with my family, friends, podcast crew and fellow supporters. Here’s to the next. Airdrie for the cup (again). And Scotland for the Euros ♦️

For me my ideal keep list would be - 
Rae
Ballantyne 
Fordyce 
Hancock 
Megwa 
Aiken
Frizzell 
Lyall 
McCabe 
McMaster 
McStravick 
Telfer
Todorov
Gabby 

I’m not that bothered either way about Watson or McGregor and think they could and should be improved upon. But they’re also both good and, probably, relatively cheap squad options who can do us a turn in a couple of different positions so they’re worth hanging onto for that. 

I have a lot of time for them both but Hutton and ATS should stick exclusively to the dugout now IMO. Will be interesting to see what McCabe’s plans are in terms of carrying on playing. His ability on the ball has been pivotal in games this season. But he’s been caught out for a pace a few times and this must be the least he’s played over a season in his career? 

Think there’s little chance we’ll see Megwa back in a diamond unfortunately. I’ve heard the Rae to United and Murray Johnson returning stories too. I’d love to keep Rae but I’d be happy with Johnson as a replacement. Nonplussed about whether or not Hemfrey is the sub goalie but I think it does need sorted from pre-season. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gabby went back down south seeing as his partner and family are all still down there. Is Lyall out of contract at Rangers? 

If we can keep the bulk and base of that squad then I think we’re a couple of good centre-halves (for Fordyce to take under his wing) and a good striker (in ye come Ben Wilson) from really consolidating our position. 

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

(in ye come Ben Wilson) 

It's genuinely quite humorous how many consillium players we have and have had over the last 2/3 seasons.

Screenshot_20240511-122201~2.png

Screenshot_20240511-122212~2.png

Screenshot_20240511-122222~2.png

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Rae
Ballantyne 
Fordyce 
Hancock 
Megwa 
Aiken
Frizzell 
Lyall 
McCabe 
McMaster 
McStravick 
Telfer
Todorov
Gabby 

I’m not that bothered either way about Watson or McGregor and think they could and should be improved upon. But they’re also both good and, probably, relatively cheap squad options who can do us a turn in a couple of different positions so they’re worth hanging onto for that. 

I have a lot of time for them both but Hutton and ATS should stick exclusively to the dugout now IMO. Will be interesting to see what McCabe’s plans are in terms of carrying on playing. His ability on the ball has been pivotal in games this season. But he’s been caught out for a pace a few times and this must be the least he’s played over a season in his career? 

Think there’s little chance we’ll see Megwa back in a diamond unfortunately. I’ve heard the Rae to United and Murray Johnson returning stories too. I’d love to keep Rae but I’d be happy with Johnson as a replacement. Nonplussed about whether or not Hemfrey is the sub goalie but I think it does need sorted from pre-season. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gabby went back down south seeing as his partner and family are all still down there. Is Lyall out of contract at Rangers? 

If we can keep the bulk and base of that squad then I think we’re a couple of good centre-halves (for Fordyce to take under his wing) and a good striker (in ye come Ben Wilson) from really consolidating our position. 

As far as I'm concerned the loanees have now gone and we have to look at the permanent signings as most loan deals tend to be last minute.

Couldn't disagree more regarding McGregor. Never thought he would make it but I see vast improvement in the guy and pace like his is really hard to find at our level.

I’d keep the same contingent as most but would definitely keep Watson and McGregor around too. We do need to improve on Watson as a starter but he’s had a much better season than I expected and he’s absolutely fine as a backup right back/centre back. McGregor has improved massively too and I think his best games have came playing through the middle. There’s still a lot to work on but his pace is a really useful asset in a fairly slow team. 

I’d probably keep Gavin Gallagher around too. Definitely not as a starter but he’ll be cheap enough and generally does a job whenever he has to fill in. 

Of the loanees, I suspect Aiken might return on loan and I’d be happy to keep Lyall permanently too. Lyall still has a lot to work on with his decision making but that should come with game time. O’Connor goes with best wishes and I think Megwa will be at a bigger club than us next season unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Mason Hancock speaking like he's going to be around next season although I wouldn't be surprised if we received offers for him. Assuming he's under contract. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-use-play-heartache-fuel-32784715

Signed till 2025 mate👍🏻 but yes would be surprised if no offers came in for him.

Been an excellent season for Airdrie. However, I feel the biggest challenge will be keeping McCabe. 

lose your gaffer and potentially lose the attractive attacking football that’s been a pleasure to watch even for an opposing fan like me.

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Rae
Ballantyne 
Fordyce 
Hancock 
Megwa 
Aiken
Frizzell 
Lyall 
McCabe 
McMaster 
McStravick 
Telfer
Todorov
Gabby 

Agree with this list entirely and on that feeling towards McGregor and Watson, happy to keep but can be improved on. Megwa’s maybe a pipe dream but I think we’ll sign Lyall and wouldn’t be surprised if we already have on a pre-contract and just haven’t announced it yet. Hibs will loan Aiken out again after an injury struck season and we’d make the most sense too so I can see him coming back. If we keep all those players and add a bit of quality up top (at least one natural 9 and another that can play off a 9 - i.e. Wilson and Mochrie) and bring in a quality centre back (don’t think it would be on the cards but I think the boy McBeth that plays for Thistle would actually be perfect for us, so someone similar to him ideally) then we’ll be good. My main worry is Hancock as I think he’s probably the one that could have suitors that would be most difficult to replace with someone of the same quality.

1 hour ago, jasperellon said:

Been an excellent season for Airdrie. However, I feel the biggest challenge will be keeping McCabe. 

lose your gaffer and potentially lose the attractive attacking football that’s been a pleasure to watch even for an opposing fan like me.

Agree,  but one of the problems facing Rhys or any suitors is he has no coaching badges........

Unless teams are willing to do a Naismith style managerial mash up,  remember McAvoy was manager and Naismith in charge of football operations or some nonsense until he did his badges..

Rhys 's lack of badges is one of the reasons,   Airdrie like Buckie and a few others have only Entry Level status as a club,  which would have scuppered Airdrie if they got through the playoffs and saved the skin of the Premier club...  Disagree if you all want,  bit that seems to be the situation....

For Airdrie fans that should be very good news....

Imagine the irony if we did manage to get promoted  and we went cap in hand to 'oor' Willie Aitchieson  to become our 'Manager' with Rhys McCabe the Technical director until he sat his badges....

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Agree,  but one of the problems facing Rhys or any suitors is he has no coaching badges........

Unless teams are willing to do a Naismith style managerial mash up,  remember McAvoy was manager and Naismith in charge of football operations or some nonsense until he did his badges..

Rhys 's lack of badges is one of the reasons,   Airdrie like Buckie and a few others have only Entry Level status as a club,  which would have scuppered Airdrie if they got through the playoffs and saved the skin of the Premier club...  Disagree if you all want,  bit that seems to be the situation....

For Airdrie fans that should be very good news....

Imagine the irony if we did manage to get promoted  and we went cap in hand to 'oor' Willie Aitchieson  to become our 'Manager' with Rhys McCabe the Technical director until he sat his badges....

Rhys's badges, or lack off have just been discussed on Sportsound and how ironic it is that the most highly rated young manager in the country isn't "qualified".

We were entry status last summer and have until 1st July 2024 to reach Bronze. I'd be shocked if we haven't reached the requirement and it's been suggested on the Bookface page that there's nothing to worry about.

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

As far as I'm concerned the loanees have now gone and we have to look at the permanent signings as most loan deals tend to be last minute.

Couldn't disagree more regarding McGregor. Never thought he would make it but I see vast improvement in the guy and pace like his is really hard to find at our level.

His pace changes games for us ,good player this season,