Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

“When they hammered us last month the ‘we hate Airdrie’ chant was nonstop, but we don’t have any equivalent anti-Thistle chants, which probably sums up the rivalry well. If Thistle were a person they’d be Jay from The Inbetweeners: girlfriend at their caravan, wild tales of Big Bad Airdrie and how they’re a force for good in the world in the face of our horrible existence."

Scott Fleming has been investigating the rivalry between Airdrie and Thistle. How did it all start - and is it going to kick off again tonight?

Read his special report for Nutmeg Magazine here

6 minutes ago, Nutmeg Richard said:

“When they hammered us last month the ‘we hate Airdrie’ chant was nonstop, but we don’t have any equivalent anti-Thistle chants, which probably sums up the rivalry well. If Thistle were a person they’d be Jay from The Inbetweeners: girlfriend at their caravan, wild tales of Big Bad Airdrie and how they’re a force for good in the world in the face of our horrible existence."

Scott Fleming has been investigating the rivalry between Airdrie and Thistle. How did it all start - and is it going to kick off again tonight?

Read his special report for Nutmeg Magazine here

Interesting to read from that article we are apparently 1.5 hours commute from Thistle. Didn’t realise they were ground sharing with St Johnstone….

Just now, Ghost of Prague said:

Interesting to read from that article we are apparently 1.5 hours commute from Thistle. Didn’t realise they were ground sharing with St Johnstone….

I couldn't be arsed reading anymore after that. Piss poor stuff!

30 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

See you soon Chris Mochrie and Flynn Duffy (and Ben Wilson) 🤝

Surely Wotherspoon will sign for us this season!

5 minutes ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

Whatever happens this evening I'm incredibly proud of our team this season. They have been a joy to watch, clearly love playing for Airdrie and have massively over-achieved.

Was just coming on to say the same thing.  This has been an incredible season to be an Airdrie fan, seeing us not only play a level up but actually competing, taking on good teams and beating them, and doing it by playing entertaining football that's good to watch.  Whether the season ends tonight or goes on for another few games, they deserve immense credit for what they've done. 

I think it's also worth appreciating how the squad has mostly been able to maintain McCabe's preferred style of play - by no means as one-dimensional as some seem to think - even when missing key players.  McCabe himself is one of the most influential players in the team, but he's probably missed about a quarter of the games and the system still works because the players know what they're to do and they stick to the plan.  That plan has been good enough to seriously punch above our weight in a league where we have, man for man, one the cheapest squads in the division.  We've played since early March with a goalie we found down the back of the sofa, and it's not really thrown us off track.

2 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Was just coming on to say the same thing.  This has been an incredible season to be an Airdrie fan, seeing us not only play a level up but actually competing, taking on good teams and beating them, and doing it by playing entertaining football that's good to watch.  Whether the season ends tonight or goes on for another few games, they deserve immense credit for what they've done. 

Agree, given where we've been in recent seasons it's a much more comfortable watch than the League 1 play offs and the disappointment that followed, well until last season.

Having said that, I still believe we can get through tonight but we can't afford to give away goals like we did on Tuesday and that's taking nothing away from McBeth's screamer but it came from us losing possession.

6 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

We've played since early March with a goalie we found down the back of the sofa

He's been a worry since day one, mainly on cross balls which I initially put down to his lack of game time, and still do, but he did  have a wonder save from Graham to keep the tie level.

Aye, he doesn't command his box well but he's a decent shot stopper.  I don't know who is a better keeper who would have been a realistic signing for Airdrie at point of the season.  We gambled on not having a proper replacement for Josh available - possibly unwisely - and while he did then go and get injured, I don't think our form since then has suffered too badly as a result.  Hemphry might improve his all round game if he's kept on as the back-up keeper next season, which I'd be happy enough with.  Hopefully with the extra money earned this season McCabe doesn't need to see a proper sub keeper as a saving that can be made.

If we're to have a sub keeper next season it doesn't look like it'll be a sub for this guy. Coupled with an earlier enigmatic tweet from Josh with an egg timer and a previous poster suggesting that Muz Johnson may be on his way it certainly seems that he's away. If not then I'd have to say it's extremely disrespectful to team mates to f**k off on holiday whilst play offs are ongoing. Screenshot_20240510-071420.thumb.png.2867f1e2787af778ea0c620d0c4eaf73.png

3 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

If we're to have a sub keeper next season it doesn't look like it'll be a sub for this guy. Coupled with an earlier enigmatic tweet from Josh with an egg timer and a previous poster suggesting that Muz Johnson may be on his way it certainly seems that he's away. If not then I'd have to say it's extremely disrespectful to team mates to f**k off on holiday whilst play offs are ongoing. Screenshot_20240510-071420.thumb.png.2867f1e2787af778ea0c620d0c4eaf73.png

A bit harsh to speculate and criticise a player recovering from bleed on the brain!

50 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Aye, he doesn't command his box well but he's a decent shot stopper.  I don't know who is a better keeper who would have been a realistic signing for Airdrie at point of the season.  We gambled on not having a proper replacement for Josh available - possibly unwisely - and while he did then go and get injured, I don't think our form since then has suffered too badly as a result.  Hemphry might improve his all round game if he's kept on as the back-up keeper next season, which I'd be happy enough with.  Hopefully with the extra money earned this season McCabe doesn't need to see a proper sub keeper as a saving that can be made.

I think Hemphry has done a decent job for us. His reluctance to come for crosses baffles me, but as you say he is a good shot stopper. I think he looks comfortable with the ball at his feet as well.

He also has a 100% penalty save rate for us… that might crucial tonight if it goes the distance.

Is Murray Johnson really an option? It would only be a loan surely as he is on a long term contract with Hibs(based on Wikipedia). 

45 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

A bit harsh to speculate and criticise a player recovering from bleed on the brain!

Aye, don't know what the circumstances are.  No reason to think it's not been agreed with the club as his services won't, sadly, be required for however many playoff games we have left to play.