Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

If Airdrie don't go up but McCabe has them performing at a similar level next season he'll be at a premiership club before the season is finished.

This 'he'll not go to a club who won't give him time' is nonsense.   If he suspects a club may be trigger happy all he'll do is make sure he contractedly protected . Lets say he goes to dundee united as an example, has them 12th and 6 points off 11th and gets sacked.

In that scenario,  he walks into the next championship job with premiership experience , his bank balance boosted and only minimally harmed reputation.

Neither he or airdire are special cases to be immune from the economic realities of football.  

A Dunfermline or Falkirk might appeal in the Championship because he could still get game time, but that's also presuming that Falkirk and Dunfermline could afford to pay the compensation required. 

7 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

A Dunfermline or Falkirk might appeal in the Championship because he could still get game time, but that's also presuming that Falkirk and Dunfermline could afford to pay the compensation required. 

I think if he got Airdrie up he would retire

6 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Aye, I think you need to go back as far as kenny since we brought a manager in from another club.

Does anyone actually know McCabe's contract situation? Is there a risk he runs down his deal or has a cheap release clause?

Everyone has a price but Rhys has time to manage his career carefully as one wrong move could be damaging.

I must say however that I'm slightly concerned that there's been no announcement on his contract which is believed to be up at the end of season. Of course it wouldn't be smart to announce he's leaving but it would fire the club up for the play offs if he had signed a new contract. He most definitely has been offered an improved one already, along with his cousin.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

Everyone has a price but Rhys has time to manage his career carefully as one wrong move could be damaging.

I must say however that I'm slightly concerned that there's been no announcement on his contract which is believed to be up at the end of season. Of course it wouldn't be smart to announce he's leaving but it would fire the club up for the play offs if he had signed a new contract. He most definitely has been offered an improved one already, along with his cousin.

I dont think Airdrie would stand in his way if a club the size of Dundee United came calling.

Just now, Arab_R_us said:

I dont think Airdrie would stand in his way if a club the size of Dundee United came calling.

Maybe, but no way Goodwin is getting ditched, well until October!

On 28/04/2024 at 11:08, Mr November said:

I’d put out a team like this

Hutton
Rowley - McCabe (if fit) - ATS - reserves LB
Dunlop - Aiken - G Gallagher - Donnell
C Gallagher - O’Connor

McCabe and the medical team will have a better idea if any first team players still need some minutes to keep them fresh for the play-offs but not worth taking any risks with any key players.

Would have thought the young keeper needs all the games he can get,just my opinion but I would play more or less the team we have been starting with ,

Think that Divine Iserhienrhien in the reserves/academy is meant to have Burnley and Nottingham Forest looking at him? I say do a Jordan Allan and play him on Friday to increase his price. 

35 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Would have thought the young keeper needs all the games he can get,just my opinion but I would play more or less the team we have been starting with ,

And risk injury or a red card? Rest them up (bar the goalie, that’s a good shout) surely

1 hour ago, Arab_R_us said:

Shame you’re stuck with Jim Goodwin for the foreseeable. Anyway, great to get your ongoing (and ongoing and ongoing and ongoing) thoughts on Rhys McCabe. 

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

If Airdrie don't go up but McCabe has them performing at a similar level next season he'll be at a premiership club before the season is finished.

This 'he'll not go to a club who won't give him time' is nonsense.   If he suspects a club may be trigger happy all he'll do is make sure he contractedly protected . Lets say he goes to dundee united as an example, has them 12th and 6 points off 11th and gets sacked.

In that scenario,  he walks into the next championship job with premiership experience , his bank balance boosted and only minimally harmed reputation.

Neither he or airdire are special cases to be immune from the economic realities of football.  

Hmmmmmm, that sounds an awful lot like Ian Murray moving to st Mirren and failing? Then he ended up in Norway until Airdrie gave him an opportunity in League 1. 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I think a great time to announce a new contract for Rhys and Dycey would be this time next week, right before the playoffs.  Maybe even Saturday after QP.  Get the team fired up for the Thistle game.  I have to think that if that doesn’t happen, and we don’t achieve promotion through the playoffs, he’ll be picked up by a bigger club in the summer.  Him leaving later in the year when the inevitable bottom of the Premiership firings happen would be ok with me, particularly if we get good compensation.  Inevitably he’ll leave within the next 12 months unless the promotion happens….  It will be an interesting few weeks coming up 

11 hours ago, HoBNob said:

I'd be stunned if we didn't try and get McCabe if we're relegated.

Be given a free slate squad wise, a history of giving managers a chance to build in the second tier (caveat that there's likely new owners next season, and the last few years have seen a lot of managers sacked), he'd have a relatively decent budget too, and any compensation wouldn't be an issue.

Not sure that happens if we stay up though.

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be stunned if we didn't try and get McCabe if we're relegated.

Be given a free slate squad wise, a history of giving managers a chance to build in the second tier (caveat that there's likely new owners next season, and the last few years have seen a lot of managers sacked), he'd have a relatively decent budget too, and any compensation wouldn't be an issue.

Not sure that happens if we stay up though.

It would certainly be the smart choice.

Football owners though eh? They don't always tend to make smart choices. 

29 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Nobody has considered down south an option. It won't only be Scottish clubs keeping an eye on McCabe.

Is Ian Murray not further up the food chain for the next bigger job,   consistent performer...

10 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

And risk injury or a red card? Rest them up (bar the goalie, that’s a good shout) surely

Aye play reserve side it will be a record score,can ,can the result come into play offs,will suit queens fine ,