Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

13 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

What are the thoughts on trying to get Paton if Queens Park get relegated?

He wouldn't come to us in a million years and I wouldn't want him in the same timeframe.

13 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

He still has 2 years left on his deal apparently,   and f**k no, for other reasons...

Yes we should have won that game last night, might have put a bit of pressure on Thistle for 3rd too. Plenty of chances, some excellent play and passing, sadly no goal but a wee bit unlucky too. 

Lyall, Hancock, Megwa all very good, McMaster some lovely play too. Hard to find fault. 

No disgrace in front of the cameras or champions, but sums up our season as being good on the eye but not quite there in the box. 

23 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

He wouldn’t sign for us and a lot of our fans wouldn’t be happy with it.

But I think it would be a laugh, so I’m voting yes.

kanye-laugh.gif.88332292a63d9b7593483a92f36f9dd4.gif

Assuming results go our way today (looking at last night) we're gonna need a big favour from you next week to stay up. Am sure we got him on a 3 year deal with a view to selling him at some point so if you have the cash ....... 

5 hours ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I think Paton will get a move to the Premiership this summer. Someone like a Hibs will take a punt on him a-la Shankland and Nesbit.

Only eight players in the Championship have got into double figures goals this season, three of them for Dundee Utd. And one of them is 36. Mad how difficult it is to find a reliable striker at this level.

I did spend some time on Transfermarkt looking at out of contract players the usual suspects that won’t be short of an option will be McInroy, Easton etc. But a few I’d take a punt on would be Cameron Harper and Roddy McGregor (Inverness) and Grant Savoury (QP). 

Must admit, after last season’s play-off victory I did think that the club left it too long to announce players and season tickets. We’ve had a right good season again this year and we should be capitalising on the feel-good factor around the team at the moment.

So torn about next week. Would love Queens Park to go down because of what they are and it would make Ruari Paton miserable. BUT, can't stand big Dumc and it would be amazing to see the headsgone if they end up in 9th. Plus I want us to field not a soul who will start in the playoffs, so there's also that 

With all the loan players leaving at the end of the season only Megwa is a regular starter and with Ballantyne back to right back we will not be weakened if we can hold on to the players. Add a quality centre half and a prolific striker by paying a good wage and we go again. I'd like to see McGill back next season playing beside a quality finisher.

Any of the Dundee United team that would do the job as they rebuild for the higher league?

38 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

With all the loan players leaving at the end of the season only Megwa is a regular starter and with Ballantyne back to right back we will not be weakened if we can hold on to the players. Add a quality centre half and a prolific striker by paying a good wage and we go again. I'd like to see McGill back next season playing beside a quality finisher.

Any of the Dundee United team that would do the job as they rebuild for the higher league?

Not for those positions but given his agent, our habit of signing good on the ball attacking midfielders and him not being quite good enough for the top flight, Chris Mochrie makes a lot of sense.

13 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

So torn about next week. Would love Queens Park to go down because of what they are and it would make Ruari Paton miserable. BUT, can't stand big Dumc and it would be amazing to see the headsgone if they end up in 9th. Plus I want us to field not a soul who will start in the playoffs, so there's also that 

Same, and I think QP will be more of a threat next year so would rather they went down (although I think both would win play-offs anyway). However I don't think there's much chance of us taking anything. Wouldn’t expect our regular starters to get more than 45 minutes, and think some will be rested completely like Telfer and Fordyce.

27 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Any hints from McCabe if he’s going to rest a lot of players for next Friday ? I’d presume he would, need all the help we can get 😬

If I was a betting man, it will be a vastly changed first 11, might even see one of the young keepers involved.

I’d put out a team like this

Hutton
Rowley - McCabe (if fit) - ATS - reserves LB
Dunlop - Aiken - G Gallagher - Donnell
C Gallagher - O’Connor

McCabe and the medical team will have a better idea if any first team players still need some minutes to keep them fresh for the play-offs but not worth taking any risks with any key players.

18 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Ruari Paton is in the team of the year and shortlisted for the player of the year...voted for by the players.  Any team in the Championship  would want a striker and footballer like that.  Airdrie had their opportunitylin 2019 

25 minutes ago, It is our time to shine said:

Ruari Paton is in the team of the year and shortlisted for the player of the year...voted for by the players.  Any team in the Championship  would want a striker and footballer like that.  Airdrie had their opportunitylin 2019 

Hi Ruari!

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I’d put out a team like this

Hutton
Rowley - McCabe (if fit) - ATS - reserves LB
Dunlop - Aiken - G Gallagher - Donnell
C Gallagher - O’Connor

McCabe and the medical team will have a better idea if any first team players still need some minutes to keep them fresh for the play-offs but not worth taking any risks with any key players.

I don't think it will be that extreme, mainly because that side would get hammered and although a defeat doesn't matter he's not going to want the negative attention that would bring. QP have had a poor season but they have the firepower on their day to take a few goals off a side like that. Doesn't sound like McCabe or Aiken will be fit enough to start either so I'd imagine they'll get 30 odd minutes in 2nd half to build themselves up.

I think the starting 11 won't look too bad, it's more the finishing 11 that will look like a reserve side. Would expect Todorov, Frizz, Ballantyne all to get 45 minutes as they didn't play this week, or last week in the case of Frizz and Ballantyne. I think Hancock has looked like he needs a rest recently so would be leaving him at home.