Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I don't think it will be that extreme, mainly because that side would get hammered and although a defeat doesn't matter he's not going to want the negative attention that would bring. QP have had a poor season but they have the firepower on their day to take a few goals off a side like that. Doesn't sound like McCabe or Aiken will be fit enough to start either so I'd imagine they'll get 30 odd minutes in 2nd half to build themselves up.

I think the starting 11 won't look too bad, it's more the finishing 11 that will look like a reserve side. Would expect Todorov, Frizz, Ballantyne all to get 45 minutes as they didn't play this week, or last week in the case of Frizz and Ballantyne. I think Hancock has looked like he needs a rest recently so would be leaving him at home. 

Yeah that’s fair and probably the realistic outcome. Even with the current injuries I think there’s enough depth in the squad to rest four or five key players and still put out a competitive team and as you say, they’ve had a really poor season but Queen’s Park aren’t a bad team and every game so far has been very tight. We’ve both mentioned them before but I think the end of season Edinburgh City game will be a better comparison than the Peterhead one.

14 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah that’s fair and probably the realistic outcome. Even with the current injuries I think there’s enough depth in the squad to rest four or five key players and still put out a competitive team and as you say, they’ve had a really poor season but Queen’s Park aren’t a bad team and every game so far has been very tight. We’ve both mentioned them before but I think the end of season Edinburgh City game will be a better comparison than the Peterhead one.

Had a wee look at our line-up for that game and although it was clearly our 2nd string side at the time, it was actually a decent set of players looking back - Gabby McGill, Scott McGill, Afolabi, Josh Kerr, Kyle MacDonald, Justin Devenney, Jordan Allan. Plus Scott Walker who played quite a bit for us and Matty McDonald. It was only the lesser spotted Dean Ritchie who was a proper reserve standard player. My perception of that season under Murray was that we had a small squad but that's not actually true, I think we just had no injuries and won every week so no-one else really got a look-in.

1 hour ago, It is our time to shine said:

Ruari Paton is in the team of the year and shortlisted for the player of the year...voted for by the players.  Any team in the Championship  would want a striker and footballer like that.  Airdrie had their opportunitylin 2019 

Ruari Paton is a wee ned who plays in a struggling team hovering around the trapdoor, while the team he publicly slagged off are about to play in the Premiership play off. Ruari could well be back to his home in League 1 next season.

Maybe he can get a better sharpie for his "Legue wan on tour" home made t shirt.

Karmic

Good luck in the playoffs you only got into this league through them last season.

And although we won the league last season you have progressed past us.

And in my opinion and à good few others we would never have let Todorov go, been a big miss, but didn't get enough game time due to mismanagement.

So can lightning strike twice and you progress into the top league?

23 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Had a wee look at our line-up for that game and although it was clearly our 2nd string side at the time, it was actually a decent set of players looking back - Gabby McGill, Scott McGill, Afolabi, Josh Kerr, Kyle MacDonald, Justin Devenney, Jordan Allan. Plus Scott Walker who played quite a bit for us and Matty McDonald. It was only the lesser spotted Dean Ritchie who was a proper reserve standard player. My perception of that season under Murray was that we had a small squad but that's not actually true, I think we just had no injuries and won every week so no-one else really got a look-in.

Scott Walker was a pet hate of mine but will be strutting his stuff in the Junior Cup final with Darvel. Kyle Hutton and Dean Cairns also there.

19 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Scott Walker was a pet hate of mine but will be strutting his stuff in the Junior Cup final with Darvel. Kyle Hutton and Dean Cairns also there.

I’ve came along to this, a sensational midfield three. Those three or McMaster, Frizzell and Telfer?

8 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Why do some airdrie fans not like Paton? 

He decided to take up the cause of his friend Rico Quitongo during his dispute with the club by taking random pot shots at us, including his now infamous t shirt celebration, where he wore a home made t shirt with "justice for Rico" or similar on it, which he brandished after scoring against us at broomfield, the dual issues for him being that the writing was essentially illegible and that the group of fans he was fairly aggressively showing it to were primary school weans...

20 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’ve came along to this, a sensational midfield three. Those three or McMaster, Frizzell and Telfer?

Or G. Gallagher, Lyall & McCabe! Or Aiken, Donnell & Dunlop!

4 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Or G. Gallagher, Lyall & McCabe! Or Aiken, Donnell & Dunlop!

Would actually be interested to see Aitken sitting with G Gal and Lyall ahead. Might be terrible, might be great

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Scott Walker playing as an attacking midfielder and taking corners. I can’t believe my eyes!

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Anyone make it to the dinner last night, looked a cracking night from little bits i've seen.

In an official capacity.  Rhys spoke well and everyone had a smile on their faces as we made an exit back of 11. 

https://www.robertdalzell.co.uk/Sports/Season-23-24/1924-Centenary-Dinner/1924-Centenary-Dinner---REDACTED

55 minutes ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

In an official capacity.  Rhys spoke well and everyone had a smile on their faces as we made an exit back of 11. 

https://www.robertdalzell.co.uk/Sports/Season-23-24/1924-Centenary-Dinner/1924-Centenary-Dinner---REDACTED

It was a really good night, well organised and highly enjoyable, well done to all. 

45 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

Fair play to Airdrie, called them a diddy team last week but a couple of them didn't stand for us goading them on Friday and threw a few punches

"Siri, show me the saddest thing ever typed by a grown adult".