Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

See Morton have released their list of players in negotiation / released list, not sure there's anyone there that we would be interested in, wonder where our old friend Quitongo will end up...

Players who are in contract discussions with GMFC:
• Kirk Broadfoot
• Grant Gillespie
• Cameron Blues
• Michael Garrity
• Robbie Muirhead
• George Oakley
• Darragh O’Connor
• Lewis Strapp

Players who have rejected new deals to stay at GMFC:
• Robbie Crawford

Players who will be leaving the club this summer:
• Calum Waters
• Jai Quitongo
• Lewis McGrattan
• Alan Power
• Jamie MacDonald

Players returning to their parent clubs:
• Tyler French

45 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

See Morton have released their list of players in negotiation / released list, not sure there's anyone there that we would be interested in, wonder where our old friend Quitongo will end up...

Players who are in contract discussions with GMFC:
• Kirk Broadfoot
• Grant Gillespie
• Cameron Blues
• Michael Garrity
• Robbie Muirhead
• George Oakley
• Darragh O’Connor
• Lewis Strapp

Players who have rejected new deals to stay at GMFC:
• Robbie Crawford

Players who will be leaving the club this summer:
• Calum Waters
• Jai Quitongo
• Lewis McGrattan
• Alan Power
• Jamie MacDonald

Players returning to their parent clubs:
• Tyler French

He seems such an East Kilbride signing.

Posted (edited)

McGregor isn't a player I'd want starting every week but I definitely think we need a player like him in the squad. I thought he changed the play-off final last year when he came on, similarly last night he made a huge difference. Certain games will suit him and off the bench when winning he's ideal, like Raith away when he scored.

I feel I'm probably going to be slightly harsher than others from reading posts on here. We've had an excellent season due to superb management, and I think a few small changes could make a massive difference. I think the 2 biggest positions are striker and centre back. It's been covered already but we are well short of quality in the final third, however everyone else is looking for that player too and they cost the big money. Todorov I can't help but like despite the fact if the ball is lower than 6 feet off the ground he's pretty hopeless. I'd keep him as a squad option but we need a better striker. McGill I also really like, and a fully fit McGill for a full season would be a real asset, but I just can't help but feel he's one of those players who'll always be semi-permanently injured. 2 of his 3 seasons now have been stop-start due to constant injuries. Anyone can get a random horrendous injury but Gabby just seems to get lots of random ones, his shoulder popping out being the latest example. I'd probably like another season to see if he could repeat last year, but if he goes I wouldn't be too bothered either.

At the start of the season most of the chat was that we needed a centre back but that kind of disappeared as it became clear defensively we were decent. I think that's mainly because we keep the ball so much so they aren't tested as much as other teams, but I think if we are serious about being a promotion contender we can't be losing goals like we lost in the play-offs and that comes from basically having one natural centre back. I like Watson as a right back and stand-in centre back. And Ballantyne I love at full-back but he's not a centre back despite doing his best there. McCabe also spent a chunk of the season there, another who has filled in really well but isn't actually a centre back. Dycey with a younger centre back beside him who he can help for a year or two would be ideal.

Midfield is where I'll probably disagree with a few on here. Technically McCabe is really good but I think out of possession he really struggles to keep up with the pace and players run off him too easily. I wouldn't be fussed if he called it a day and I think he might. Aiken I'm also not convinced about getting back. He looked decent early in the season but I think there's an element of the more games he's missed the better player he's become in people's memory. Not saying he's a bad player at all, but I'd like us to see what other options are out there first. Like O'Connor, I think he needs to go to League 1 where he's guaranteed a start every week anyway. The rest - Telfer, McMaster and Frizzell I hope are all here.

Ultimately without knowing the alternatives it's hard to really call. And there isn't a single player this season who I'd want released on the basis of effort or attitude, therefore I'm happy to trust McCabe's judgement on what he thinks he needs. Anyone who he re-signs I'm happy to go with, and those who move on will go with best wishes.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

10 hours ago, airdrieman said:

For me my ideal keep list would be - 
Rae
Ballantyne 
Fordyce 
Hancock 
Megwa 
Aiken
Frizzell 
Lyall 
McCabe 
McMaster 
McStravick 
Telfer
Todorov
Gabby 

I’m not that bothered either way about Watson or McGregor and think they could and should be improved upon. But they’re also both good and, probably, relatively cheap squad options who can do us a turn in a couple of different positions so they’re worth hanging onto for that. 

I have a lot of time for them both but Hutton and ATS should stick exclusively to the dugout now IMO. Will be interesting to see what McCabe’s plans are in terms of carrying on playing. His ability on the ball has been pivotal in games this season. But he’s been caught out for a pace a few times and this must be the least he’s played over a season in his career? 

Think there’s little chance we’ll see Megwa back in a diamond unfortunately. I’ve heard the Rae to United and Murray Johnson returning stories too. I’d love to keep Rae but I’d be happy with Johnson as a replacement. Nonplussed about whether or not Hemfrey is the sub goalie but I think it does need sorted from pre-season. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gabby went back down south seeing as his partner and family are all still down there. Is Lyall out of contract at Rangers? 

If we can keep the bulk and base of that squad then I think we’re a couple of good centre-halves (for Fordyce to take under his wing) and a good striker (in ye come Ben Wilson) from really consolidating our position. 

Heard Rae going to Dundee Utd

2 hours ago, AB1974 said:

Heard Rae going to Dundee Utd

I heard he’s going down south. More than happy with Murray Johnson as his replacement if that’s true but I do have concerns with having a loanee as first choice keeper (like him getting recalled because Hibs’ first choice or backup get an injury)

The guys I believe under contract for next season are Hancock, McMaster, Watson, G Gallagher and McStravick.

Rae already seems to be off, not bothered about hemfrey but everyone else id actually like to see us keep don’t want to see us lose 4/5 big players and have a big rebuild.

Feel like Gabby McGill could be off think he had a lot of offers last summer and most likely would’ve been off if we never went up. Would like to think we’re gonna be one of the most attractive places to play football compared to your Ayrs Morton’s etc who would’ve blown us out the water with offers in recent years.

Completely trust McCabe to get signings right and have us up competing at the top end again next season.

35 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

The guys I believe under contract for next season are Hancock, McMaster, Watson, G Gallagher and McStravick.

Rae already seems to be off, not bothered about hemfrey but everyone else id actually like to see us keep don’t want to see us lose 4/5 big players and have a big rebuild.

Feel like Gabby McGill could be off think he had a lot of offers last summer and most likely would’ve been off if we never went up. Would like to think we’re gonna be one of the most attractive places to play football compared to your Ayrs Morton’s etc who would’ve blown us out the water with offers in recent years.

Completely trust McCabe to get signings right and have us up competing at the top end again next season.

Going by the ever reliable metric of social media posts it looks like McGregor and Todorov are signed up too. 

Lyall out of contract with Rangers. Would like to think we’ve offered him a deal to return permanently. Good player but 20 years old and not going to make it at Rangers so would like to think there’s a good chance we’ll get him. 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

What's happened to Player of the Year voting,  season finished, players away,  This of all years would have been an interesting vote..

The club should still do it. I think they Disney want to take their eye off the ball with the play offs coming up but after such a brilliant year the usual prizes should be given out, even if it needs to be awarded online like Covid times!! 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

What's happened to Player of the Year voting,  season finished, players away,  This of all years would have been an interesting vote..

Good question and maybe one for the Fans Liasion Group, if they ever came to fruition.

4 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Might not be bad a thing as we do need to freshen up the forwards, and add the amount of injuries he's had then it could be mutually beneficial.

19 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

McGregor isn't a player I'd want starting every week but I definitely think we need a player like him in the squad. I thought he changed the play-off final last year when he came on, similarly last night he made a huge difference. Certain games will suit him and off the bench when winning he's ideal, like Raith away when he scored.

I feel I'm probably going to be slightly harsher than others from reading posts on here. We've had an excellent season due to superb management, and I think a few small changes could make a massive difference. I think the 2 biggest positions are striker and centre back. It's been covered already but we are well short of quality in the final third, however everyone else is looking for that player too and they cost the big money. Todorov I can't help but like despite the fact if the ball is lower than 6 feet off the ground he's pretty hopeless. I'd keep him as a squad option but we need a better striker. McGill I also really like, and a fully fit McGill for a full season would be a real asset, but I just can't help but feel he's one of those players who'll always be semi-permanently injured. 2 of his 3 seasons now have been stop-start due to constant injuries. Anyone can get a random horrendous injury but Gabby just seems to get lots of random ones, his shoulder popping out being the latest example. I'd probably like another season to see if he could repeat last year, but if he goes I wouldn't be too bothered either.

At the start of the season most of the chat was that we needed a centre back but that kind of disappeared as it became clear defensively we were decent. I think that's mainly because we keep the ball so much so they aren't tested as much as other teams, but I think if we are serious about being a promotion contender we can't be losing goals like we lost in the play-offs and that comes from basically having one natural centre back. I like Watson as a right back and stand-in centre back. And Ballantyne I love at full-back but he's not a centre back despite doing his best there. McCabe also spent a chunk of the season there, another who has filled in really well but isn't actually a centre back. Dycey with a younger centre back beside him who he can help for a year or two would be ideal.

Midfield is where I'll probably disagree with a few on here. Technically McCabe is really good but I think out of possession he really struggles to keep up with the pace and players run off him too easily. I wouldn't be fussed if he called it a day and I think he might. Aiken I'm also not convinced about getting back. He looked decent early in the season but I think there's an element of the more games he's missed the better player he's become in people's memory. Not saying he's a bad player at all, but I'd like us to see what other options are out there first. Like O'Connor, I think he needs to go to League 1 where he's guaranteed a start every week anyway. The rest - Telfer, McMaster and Frizzell I hope are all here.

Ultimately without knowing the alternatives it's hard to really call. And there isn't a single player this season who I'd want released on the basis of effort or attitude, therefore I'm happy to trust McCabe's judgement on what he thinks he needs. Anyone who he re-signs I'm happy to go with, and those who move on will go with best wishes.

Pretty much concur with the defence & forwards comments but as you allude to I would slightly differ on the midfield. McCabe the player is unquestionably on the way down, and McCabe the manager is probably looking for to replace him but I don't believe it's time for the boots to be hung up as a player of his ability and experience, at the very least is excellent back up. Murray Aiken I would love to see return as he provides a different option with his energy, pace and ability to win the ball back, something we lack and I'll be shocked if he ends up in league 1.

I don't think a year in League 1 would do much for Aiken's development. He's already beyond that level and is good not only to contribute but also to benefit from playing at Championship level, against full time, decent teams.  O' Connor is otherwise. Whether he just ain't got it or he does have it but needs to develop, it'd be better for him to go down a level for a year.  If we want to improve on this season we need better than him as an option. 

35 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Pretty much concur with the defence & forwards comments but as you allude to I would slightly differ on the midfield. McCabe the player is unquestionably on the way down, and McCabe the manager is probably looking for to replace him but I don't believe it's time for the boots to be hung up as a player of his ability and experience, at the very least is excellent back up. Murray Aiken I would love to see return as he provides a different option with his energy, pace and ability to win the ball back, something we lack and I'll be shocked if he ends up in league 1.

McCabe is still in my opinion one of the best players in the league,  a 70 % fit Rhys would have given so much more than McMaster in the first half on Friday,  to me Rhys is fattening Deano up,    on a winning front foot team Deano is great flip it over and he struggles badly,  to me he seems to have a bit of the Scott Stewart's about him.

23 minutes ago, Passionate said:

McCabe is still in my opinion one of the best players in the league,  a 70 % fit Rhys would have given so much more than McMaster in the first half on Friday,  to me Rhys is fattening Deano up,    on a winning front foot team Deano is great flip it over and he struggles badly,  to me he seems to have a bit of the Scott Stewart's about him.

Thought he was lucky not to be subbed instead of Telfer. Maybe Telfer's booking played a part

5 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

The club should still do it. I think they Disney want to take their eye off the ball with the play offs coming up but after such a brilliant year the usual prizes should be given out, even if it needs to be awarded online like Covid times!! 

Yes it should be done but not from X as I don't do it. Maybe email all the 1924 guys as I can use it! As for my choice I can't decide between Dycey and Telfer. Telfer missed a fair chunk  while Calum has hardly missed any in his Airdrie career. Had that crossbar been more forgiving it would definitely have been our 200 man.

On the subject of the SLO fan group I know very little ,but I'm not sure the club have used it as more than a tick the box thingy. No slight of course,  on those who offered their input. 

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes it should be done but not from X as I don't do it. Maybe email all the 1924 guys as I can use it! As for my choice I can't decide between Dycey and Telfer. Telfer missed a fair chunk  while Calum has hardly missed any in his Airdrie career. Had that crossbar been more forgiving it would definitely have been our 200 man.

On the subject of the SLO fan group I know very little ,but I'm not sure the club have used it as more than a tick the box thingy. No slight of course,  on those who offered their input. 

Both had  a great season,Dycey for me though ,