Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Posted (edited)

Murray's quotes certainly suggest that there wasn't any interest from Raith until Fordyce had made himself available, so there's clearly been an issue and doesn't seem like it's just Raith turning his head with more money.

No idea the root of it but I've always said the interesting aspect of McCabe's progression to another job would be what Fordyce did. Retiring a bit early (when he's becoming more of a squad player anyway) to take a higher level management job is a pretty easy decision for McCabe, but Fordyce has another couple of years left as a regular Championship starter, do you give that up to be an assistant manager somewhere? I'm not sure. I wonder whether that's been a factor in any issues they've had.

A shame it's come to this but we move on. We've needed to properly address the defence for years in terms of recruitment so I hope this forces us to do so.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

14 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Fwiw, if Easton is off to a top flight club, Frizzell is a natural successor for him at Stark's just like he was for Airdrie before. 

I wouldn't say so at all to be honest, I don't think they are similar players and I think the advanced midfield position is where he is least effective. Frizzell's goals return is poor - scored 2 league goals this season (in the space of about 10 minutes against yourselves!). Scored 5 and 3 in the two seasons prior, both in League 1 and both in seasons when we scored a stupid amount of goals. And he averages about 4 or 5 assists a season, again with 2 of those seasons being League 1 when we scored for fun.

I think overall he's just as good as Easton when you look at his all round game, so this isn't me downplaying him so you keep your hands off him... I think he offers far more in other areas of the pitch than Easton and I think is at his best playing slightly deeper where he can turn and drive at players. But I wouldn't say they are much alike, Easton is on a different level technically and creatively, but Frizz is a much more rounded footballer. I'd say he's much more of a Sam Stanton than Easton.

Anyway, please leave the rest of our players alone...

We needed to recruit a couple of centre-halves regardless. But this is crucial now. With Fordyce and Rae seemingly also gone, that’s the fulcrum of both our defence and the start of our attacks away. Both were fundamental to our playing it out from the back, and that won’t be easy to replace in either position. Fordyce is a good all-rounder - fit, a leader, an organiser, reads the game well, good with the ball at his feet and carries out the fundamentals of being a centre-half. Those ‘stopper’ aspects of his game are probably easy enough to replace, even if not done to quite the standard of Fordyce. But the ability on the ball, or just to be able to combine all or most of those aspects, will be a struggle to replace. Going to need to be done though as neither ATS or McCabe, as good as they are on the ball, are viable long-term options there. And while Watson has had a good season he’s not one we can rely on every week defensively or on the ball either. 

Well that's definitely a boot in the baws that one! No hard feelings against Dycey he was a fantastic servant for Airdrie, barley missed a game and played a massive role in where we are today, but we move on. 

It's already been mentioned, but I feel like we really need to recruit properly in defence, preprably younger centre backs with a bit of pace about them as I felt last season we did lack a bit of pace in defence.

With rumours of Rae leaving, Gal (who's already left) and potentially Gabby too, it definitely feels a bit more like a rebuild. Really hope we get some sort of squad update ASAP now. 

I'm hoping these moves work out for the best and we are able to recruit well in order to take us to the next level. A goal keeper like Murray Johnson (Perhaps Muzz himself) two younger/pacier centre half's and a natural goalscorer would be a start, though much easier said than done. 

Let's hope we get a bit of good news this week.🤞 

11 hours ago, Raithie said:

Why?

Why? Can only be for more money as it will be a drop in playing as a team ,still it is true he will know most of the players and manager well having played with them,that's football loyalty is the pound note .

5 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Why? Can only be for more money as it will be a drop in playing as a team ,still it is true he will know most of the players and manager well having played with them,that's football loyalty is the pound note .

Of course it is, and rightly so. Its not a long career and wages in Scotland aren't great compared to a lot of other professions these days. 

14 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

The likes Of Dunfermline, Raith, Partick, Falkirk will be paying double what Airdrie can afford. Hard to compete with that.

3 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Might be nothing in it but I saw Joe Gorman and Daniel Boateng up at Colston garage last night

Those two put another spin on playing out from the back

19 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

The likes Of Dunfermline, Raith, Partick, Falkirk will be paying double what Airdrie can afford. Hard to compete with that.

Oh to be a big club like one of them,we can only dream ,

16 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

Can they afford to pay double though, is that not how , they have all ended up in financial bother to an extent over the years,    to us the Championship is a relative gold mine compared to League 1, will we stay in Championship we need to, this season will be very difficult though..

As you say though crowds generate money,  we avg 1900 ISH last season, which is a massive upgrade on previous seasons,  teams you mentioned are double that or more,    and paying a couple of quid more per head to get in....  That's surely something as a club although unpopular Airdrie have to do is increase prices to increase budget and give ourselves a slightly better chance, if not we will slink back to the seaside league with our tail between our legs..

15 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Can they afford to pay double though, is that not how , they have all ended up in financial bother to an extent over the years,    to us the Championship is a relative gold mine compared to League 1, will we stay in Championship we need to, this season will be very difficult though..

As you say though crowds generate money,  we avg 1900 ISH last season, which is a massive upgrade on previous seasons,  teams you mentioned are double that or more,    and paying a couple of quid more per head to get in....  That's surely something as a club although unpopular Airdrie have to do is increase prices to increase budget and give ourselves a slightly better chance, if not we will slink back to the seaside league with our tail between our legs..

I'd say more important than that. Keep playing football,  keeping signing and playing young players with a view to getting a transfer fee. you will also get good loan players from big clubs as they know they are going to a team that dosnt just Hoof it.

The crowds will rise too.

45 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

Didn't think those clubs would employ Dundee Utd fans as there accountants.

In other money news I see Chris Ewing, Caledonian Braves Owner on the radio this morning speaking about the below. Some may remember that he had a short spell as a Director with us in collaboration with his company Edusport Academy which ultimately withered and died very quickly. Perhaps we missed a trick.

There's also a couple of interesting interviews with him on the excellent The Price of Football podcast - The Price of Football

Caledonian Braves: Fifth-tier Scottish club raises £783,000 from global investors - BBC Sport

Fair bit of knicker wetting re Fordyce but while it’s disappointing to lose a player to a competitor but we’ve had his best years and time catches up with us all so it will be interesting to see how good an investment this is for Raith who see themselves as title candidates. Signing a guy that’s 32 and never played higher than this level on a two year deal isn’t exactly inspiring.  It’s also worth noting that we seem to do well with our recruitment, so let’s just see what they have in store for us. 

48 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Didn't think those clubs would employ Dundee Utd fans as there accountants.

top earners at Airdrie will be on about 750/week  top earners at the big clubs will be approaching double that 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Some drop off in football terms to move on to a team who finished 17 points ahead of you this season.