Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

8 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'd like to see Mochrie as our most advanced midfielder, maybe just behind the striker.

Midfield now heavy therefore could Gallagher be another sent out on loan? Still a centre back required for me.

I’d like this as I’ve always preferred Frizz a wee bit deeper. Alternatively if Frizz stays in that role we might see Mochrie playing as a second striker like McStravick and McGregor did at times last season.

Reckon we’ve got 7 midfielders that should realistically be challenging to start (McMaster, Aiken, Agyemang, Armstrong, McGrattan, Mochrie, Frizzell) and that’s not counting McCabe, who I suspect will play in defence if at all, or McStravick who will miss the start of the season through injury. Quite happy with us running a bigger squad this season.

I think the huge difference between this season and last is that at the start of last season we had a decent quality core and then quite literally squad fillers beyond the first 11. This season we have much more obvious strength and depth and an actual squad to have a go at this level. Even players who eventually became important for us last season like McMaster and Hancock were young lads untried at this level who took a bit of time to adjust, that won't be the case with many of the new guys and even the rawer prospects (Armstrong/MacDonald etc) are arguably further along in their development with more "senior" games under their belt rather than coming directly from youth football in the main.

We do need another CB, no doubt but there's green shoots in what will be an even harder to call league.

Delighted with that signing, had a funny feeling Mochrie would sign with Dunlop going to Stranraer. Even although we have a lot of bodies already in midfield, I think a player like Mochrie offers something different to what we have. 

14 new signings in total for us, massive rebuild and it's very exciting/scary. I think it'll take some time for the new players to adapt to the system and style of play but I'm confident that we'll have a good season.

Just a centre back to go and I think that'll be us done.

52 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'd like to see Mochrie as our most advanced midfielder, maybe just behind the striker.

Midfield now heavy therefore could Gallagher be another sent out on loan? Still a centre back required for me.

I thought Gav Gal would probably go out on loan as well, depends on how bad the injury is he picked up against the Rovers

Very happy about Mochrie and a bit of a statement that we mean business and he is only 21. We will have a young squad but much stronger and deeper than last season. We are going to have a much stronger bench.

This is a difficult one to predict but here is my view on a potential starting 11 for first league cup game. I think we will go with a 3-5-2 formation and have a solid base. I can see Mason in a back 3 this year now we have Bruce.

Muzz

Janny        Wilson      Mason

Mcdonald                                                           Bruce

Deano 

Mochrie                                 Frizz

Wilson         Toddy

Bench of

Wright

Reid

Agyemang

Armstrong

Aiken

McGregor

Cooper

McGrattan

ATS

...Going to be interesting to see who the starting 11 is. I suspect a lot more rotation. Not sure if manager will pick himself even for bench if everyone fit.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Is McMaster still going to be here, Injured 😉 just now,  so would imagine he will be a good bit behind fitness wise...    If fit would he get in the team ... Options all over the place

Think he will fit in with exactly how McCabe wants us to play. Pretty technical. Got a decent squad depth building now. I would imagine some loans still to come.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I think the huge difference between this season and last is that at the start of last season we had a decent quality core and then quite literally squad fillers beyond the first 11. This season we have much more obvious strength and depth and an actual squad to have a go at this level. Even players who eventually became important for us last season like McMaster and Hancock were young lads untried at this level who took a bit of time to adjust, that won't be the case with many of the new guys and even the rawer prospects (Armstrong/MacDonald etc) are arguably further along in their development with more "senior" games under their belt rather than coming directly from youth football in the main.

We do need another CB, no doubt but there's green shoots in what will be an even harder to call league.

Although we've had players move on for varying reasons it's good to see that others are keen to join up, no doubt helped by the profile and attention we got last season, how well we done and them probably thinking that they are not joining a club instantly marked down for relegation. 

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Is McMaster still going to be here, Injured 😉 just now,  so would imagine he will be a good bit behind fitness wise...    If fit would he get in the team ... Options all over the place

Who knows although personally I still can see someone paying money for Hancock.

I can imagine there will be a fair bit of experimenting in the league cup with the strongest side strutting their stuff at Pittodrie.

Starting on Tuesday.... I'm going with our top scorer McGregor to start

Watson              New signing         Wilson           Hancock

McGrattan           Mochrie               Frizz              Agyemang

McGregor            Wilson

Good signing in Mochrie. He started superbly for us in League 1 but petered out a bit over the winter. I’d have taken him back at the Pars though as I think he’s definitely got talent and could get better.

On 05/07/2024 at 16:49, Kenny_m said:

Good footballer is Charlie but personally I would prefer Turner.

On 05/07/2024 at 17:03, Passionate said:

Apart from the COVID season when Turner was unplayable when watching on the stream,  has he kicked his own arse since..

For what it's worth, I'd rather have Mochrie than either. 

10 hours ago, SteviePar. said:

Good signing in Mochrie. He started superbly for us in League 1 but petered out a bit over the winter. I’d have taken him back at the Pars though as I think he’s definitely got talent and could get better.

You won't pay the 2000 a week he is on

12 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I see Gabby McGill on trial with Grimsby town, hopefully goes there rather than a division rival!

Looks like he played well judging by the highlights on YouTube. Fingers crossed he signs for them. 

IMG_1982.png