Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I can see both games this week being a bit like the Dumbarton cup game at the start of last season, or indeed plenty of other early League Cup games over the last few years. It was a fairly settled team last summer but McCabe was clearly trying to implement a new style of play, which led to a fairly slow, disjointed performance but ultimately we managed to get the win. It’s a very different team this season and similarly I’m not expecting us to have fully clicked after a few weeks of pre-season.

Obviously I’d like us to qualify from the group, and three wins might be enough to do that barring a disaster at Pittodrie/anywhere else, but I think these games will very much be about McCabe figuring out his best 11 and who links well with each other. 

Home to East Kilbride isn’t the most exciting way to start a season but I’m looking forward to getting back all the same.

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Another season beckons,   What can we achieve this season,  personally I think this will be McCabe's last stand ,  He looks to have signed well,  is it coincidence that a number of signings have came after the Bartlett sponsorship was announced..    interesting that a couple of players have came over from Ireland their does seem to be more 'value' in the Irish market...   Our squad numbers are good with a lot more options off the bench,    

The last time I was this positive about an Airdrie team was with Stephen Findlays lower league galacticos,  that didn't turn out well....

In saying that my fear for the EK and Dumbarton games coming up are we are a little bit undercooked for this tournament,  Time will tell..

Onwards and upwards

Interesting to see that we now have ex Linfield, Glentoran and Cliftonville players in the squad. Of course Linfield and Glentoran are bitter rivals, and neither of them like Cliftonville. But thankfully all that will be put aside when they pull on the Diamond shirt, and IMO I think they will do well. 

A player from Crusaders and we would have had a complete Belfast suit! 😁

Interesting decision to play so few pre-season games, especially with such a new squad, even MacDonald refers to it in his interview. I wonder with the first 2 fixtures being against the bottom 2 seeds whether McCabe thinks we'll have enough regardless and can avoid a couple of needless friendlies.

With us also sitting out the first round of fixtures it could be that we are slightly off the pace in the first couple of games. That said, I think pre-season friendlies have limited value as they are slow paced and lack intensity and aggresion. As long as our training has been at a high intensity we should at least be at a level where we can get a result.

From the limited times I saw EK last season if we press them high we should get some joy from them giving us a few chances passing it out from the back. Although as we know we are liable to doing that too...

2 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Interesting to see that we now have ex Linfield, Glentoran and Cliftonville players in the squad. Of course Linfield and Glentoran are bitter rivals, and neither of them like Cliftonville. But thankfully all that will be put aside when they pull on the Diamond shirt, and IMO I think they will do well. 

A player from Crusaders and we would have had a complete Belfast suit! 😁

Where did Joe Gorman and James Daly sign from back in the day,  remember them...

That must be the strongest bench we've had at this stage of a season for as long as I can remember, both in terms of numbers and the fact that there is some decent players there (not to mention a sub keeper).

This is a bit like watching us in that 6-0 Edinburgh game but in reverse. You’re 6-0 down, you don’t need to have your defensive line on the halfway line! I’ve seen Airdrie play worse teams but not many more stupid.

2 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

East Kilbride's tactics are like Robin Veldman's Queens Park on steroids 😂

The press is absolutely killing EK,  any decent manager would be changing tactics and shape after that constant mauling could easily have been 8..

Expect many changes for both sides second half...    

2 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

East Kilbride's tactics are like Robin Veldman's Queens Park on steroids 😂

That’s exactly the comparison I had. With a regenerated Connor Fairley in goals.

Good laugh though. Good to see the Fordyce style corners are still a thing. Only disappointment is Watson’s free-kick not going in, would have been very funny.

That was a thoroughly enjoyable evening's viewing,special mentio to Mr Kennedy for at least four of our goals from suicidal defending and not changing it up. 

Good to see us keep our foot on their throats throughout and looking forward to seeing how we fare against an actual football team with an ounce of tactical sense.

EK, great bunch of lads.

Very good performance but hard to judge how good we really are when you play a side that gifts you 8 goals. Really liked Armstrong and MacDonald and both played some lovely passes. Wilson looks the real deal and not just as a goalscorer but his link-up too. McGregor probably man of the match for me. 3 goals, an assist, and also won the penalty. Obviously against a poor side who played right into his hands with their style, he runs and presses all day and they were playing a ridiculously high line and playing out from the back, but hopefully a sign that he's added a bit of end product to his game for this season.

13 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Don’t want to get too ahead off myself but do you think ibrox will be back open in preparation for us going up next season?

Will Airdrie go on for a league,league cup and Scottish cup treble then piss the Europa next season?

It's not my place to speak for everybody but clearly the answer is yes.