Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

30 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Think your guesstimate is not far away but getting 2 half decent squad players in for £400 per week (roughly the living wage) would prove mighty difficult.

even if its just some players to fill in the gaps that will hopefully not appear wether that be only 1 of our starting 2 CB's being injured at the time, or if we really feel like it...spending a bit more on the wage to get a decent RB to help out mcdonald, as much as i think rowley will be a good enough player, he would probably make sporadic appearances at best, and the last thing we want to do is overstretch our defence, only 3 other players can play RB...janny (but he'll be most used as a right sided CB)...aygemang and aitken both of which are better utilised in the midfield

i could probably speculate on it all day but at the end of it...in rhys we trust

Let's not get too carried away we have sworded two Lowland League sides at home the last couple of weeks. The Rovers and EK, probably the poorest opposition we will face by a country mile this season,   

When the Championship kicks off,  it is completely different,  the question I have is , have we improved on our weaknesses and flaws from last season,  arguably we lacked experience, game nous, physicality,  Todorov ticked a lot of those boxes,   have we added enough of what we lacked last season,    Time will tell, and after 4 games in the League we will know exactly where the land lies..

Todorov being with Consilium probably helps with us being quite easy to deal with if he wanted to move on. A shame if he is indeed off to Accies but I’m sure McCabe and Andy Young will have someone else lined up. Perfect time for a striker from West Ham.

Echo what others have said,gutted to see him go but looking at our other options and the style we look to be playing this season not entirely surprising.

Thanks for last season Toddy and all the best,particularly watching you pimpslap the TNS back line which was a throwback to years past and I loved every second of it.

Disappointing to see Todorov leave but always thought once we signed Ben Wilson he might find himself on the bench. Understandable that he wants to play every week but thought we could have held on to him as an alternative option and also for the experience he provides.

Also don’t see the logic in freeing an under contract player so he can sign for a direct rival, unless we have something else already in the pipeline. 

8 hours ago, WL Diamond said:

Also don’t see the logic in freeing an under contract player so he can sign for a direct rival, unless we have something else already in the pipeline. 

Why keep an unhappy player on the bench or on the stands? Realistically no one will pay much money for him so saves a hassle, guy had a good season with us and looks as he's left on relatively good terms even though he wanted out, unlike dycey.

Hearing Toddy is off to Accies. 

50 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Why keep an unhappy player on the bench or on the stands? Realistically no one will pay much money for him so saves a hassle, guy had a good season with us and looks as he's left on relatively good terms even though he wanted out, unlike dycey.

I don't really get the unhappiness thing if I'm honest, he was contracted so would have had to get over himself and do his best when given a chance, as I'm sure he would have as he seems a good guy. Wilson could get injured in the next game and then he is back in, or we go 2 up front and he plays. If we can use his wages to bring in a defender then it will be the right decision. But if he's been released just because he asked to go and we have nothing lined up it's a strange decision to weaken your squad, and strengthen another, at a point in the season where there aren't many players still available.

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Would be a strange move and I can't see this being true as I can't see him getting much more gametime with us than what he would have gotten with Airdrie. We currently have Oli Shaw and Kevin O'Hara who are both good options. I would have expected us to bring in a backup so this could potentially be it but doesn't really make sense on why he would leave Airdrie for us unless we have offered him more money. 

4 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Do you mean Fordyce left on bad terms with his cousin,