Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I think it was said earlier on this thread but my frustration at the last two results basically stems from McGregor being injured, which has left an excellent player in Wilson completely isolated up front, and an injury to A Wilson completely knackering us at the back. We haven’t replaced what we lost in the pre-season, but two injuries shouldn’t result in us looking woeful at each end and conceding 11 goals. Yes we were unlucky with Graham and whatever happened there, but we probably needed another out and out quality CH this season even before Dycey left. We’ve gone into the league campaign with one. 

Edited by She who dares gins

25 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Auch, see if we were going out and getting scudded 5/6-0 off Queens Park, then alarm bells would be ringing.

A humping off free spending Ayr and Europe chasing Dundee? Not so much.

Just put quote on , reaction to some posts of disappointment to losing goals ,

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Auch, see if we were going out and getting scudded 5/6-0 off Queens Park, then alarm bells would be ringing.

A humping off free spending Ayr and Europe chasing Dundee? Not so much.

No matter how much bigger and better Ayr and Dundees budgets are we shouldn’t be losing 5+ goals against them. We weren’t even competitive which is the most embarrassing thing. 

It’s a total farce that two injuries can virtually ruin a team. That’s on McCabe and the club in my opinion. Wages once again wasted on boys like Aaron Reid when they could have been better spent. 

Do we know for definite how long Aiden Wilson is out for? Reading folk saying 6-8 weeks, where did that info come from? 

Also what happens with MacDonalds red card, is it 1 match..2 matches..starting this weekend or...??

13 minutes ago, ElDiamondo said:

Do we know for definite how long Aiden Wilson is out for? Reading folk saying 6-8 weeks, where did that info come from? 

Also what happens with MacDonalds red card, is it 1 match..2 matches..starting this weekend or...??

May well be wrong, but pretty sure it's just 1 match in the same competition, so he'll be available next week.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

50 minutes ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

Oh dear, when my son told me to log onto this as I won't be disappointed with the level of crazy he certainly wasn't wrong 👀🤯

Rocky,  You called the signing of Big Sam, unlucky that we couldn't register him in time,     You heard anything about how long Aidan will be out,    More players to come you reckon .

2 heavy defeats and you’d think we’re back in the Wotherspoon era with the comments from some folk 🙈.  A win against Queen’s Park on Saturday and we’ll be the best team in the world again 😂. Just the way football is. Keep the faith ♦️

Edited by GoalForAirdrie

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Rocky,  You called the signing of Big Sam, unlucky that we couldn't register him in time,     You heard anything about how long Aidan will be out,    More players to come you reckon .

Nothing concrete on the comings and goings as of yet. I am led to believe Aiden had a slight niggle that was not worth risking and should be fine by Saturday.

Really was a shame that Big Sam was not available but at the same time it maybe is better he gets another weeks training and starts against Queens Park for a debut. 

Saturday was a strange one, Horrible defeat and seems worse on the back of the 5-0 at Ayr, The goals conceded where all poor from us with the exception of the third which was a bit of quality from McCowan and Main. There was positives for us in this game, we started well and had some nice play and caused them a bit of trouble, the 2nd half we came out like a different team and I thought the 3 lads that came on did really well. Frizz was excellent on Saturday and put on a captains performance and that goal was the kind of grit and determination I love to see from a player in our shirt. Another harsh lesson for our young lads. Let's not paper over the cracks they now have a lot of pressure on them this Saturday and need to get a win and probably a convincing one at that to get the confidence up but more importantly ease the building tensions in the stands. I think we need to remember how far we have come in the past few years and not over react to a few heavy defeats from two teams we expect to be beating us. Ayr we looked like we could have played all day without getting a shot on target at Dundee I seen a bit more of the attacking threat we have and with a better final ball especially that 2nd half we could have upset them, That 3rd on the counter was the killer for me and came as a result of us pushing all out for a goal to get back into the game, Dundee are as difficult a team as we will face this year. I'll start to worry if we start losing heavily to teams like Queens Park, Falkirk, Hamilton and Dunfermline. Not saying we have a divine right to beat these teams but we should be going into games like that confident and if we are losing any of these games we certainly should not be seeing score lines like the past few weeks. 

Edited by Rocky Rooster AFC
spelling error

5 minutes ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

Queens Park, Falkirk, Hamilton and Dunfermline

Falkirk look good this season, and we're probably a bit poorer, would see Hamilton, Dunfermline, Morton and QP as the teams we need to target

34 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Falkirk look good this season, and we're probably a bit poorer, would see Hamilton, Dunfermline, Morton and QP as the teams we need to target

Yeah Falkirk do look far better in fairness to them but I personally think they are someone we still should be beating maybe not be as easy as some of the previous encounters and certainly not as easy as the last home game against them for sure. 

16 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Slightly baffled by the criticism for Aaron Reid. He’s not really had anything resembling a chance and he has great raw attributes. With some coaching and time to bed in he could be a real asset.

I think Aaron would benefit from a good posture coach or learning about the Alexander Technique!

55 minutes ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

someone we still should be beating

Very much agree, I think we could beat anyone on our day (apart from Ayr it seems), but  the 4 teams I mentioned are the ones I think we need to be aiming to win more points from than they take from us.